Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody ever use a thumb sock?

Default Anybody ever use a thumb sock?

I just ordered a couple of them because my thumb is getting chewed up to the point where I have a small hole in it.

I'm also getting Vise NT50Y finger tape (Wes Malott tape) for my other fingers.

All of this because of how dry it is out here and I'm tired of smelling the Ether from the new skin I have to put on every time I bowl. lol
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Chats: 22

I've tried a thumb sock for a couple frames but they are too slippery. Almost dropped the ball behind me on my approach. Now I just use a small piece of tape on the spot on my thumb that will normally blister. The main problem is that I'm probably overdue to have my hand remeasured or regripped or whatever the correct term is lol
    "If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?" - Steven Wright

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    I just ordered a couple of them because my thumb is getting chewed up to the point where I have a small hole in it.

I'm also getting Vise NT50Y finger tape (Wes Malott tape) for my other fingers.

All of this because of how dry it is out here and I'm tired of smelling the Ether from the new skin I have to put on every time I bowl. lol
    Given if the thumb damage is do to the dry weather, Not any fit issue. The regular use of a skin moisturizer would probably be of the more benefit.

One thing to note is that New Skin can cause drying of the skin if it's left on too long. So if your skin is dry to begin with, it could aggravate the condition more.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 10

Sounds like something is wrong with thumb hole. Take ur in to your PSO. Have you tried thumb tape. Someone on my team has same issue and uses the tape on both sides of his thumb. Or perhaps in the thumb hole?
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Well is the hole in your thumb in the front or back of the thumb? If you listened to our board you would put moisturizer on and or tape. Thing is that won't work the tape will fall off if you use the moisturizer.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Super glue over new skin

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Thing is that won't work the tape will fall off if you use the moisturizer.
    True if you put the moisturizer on just before the tape.

But you would use it earlier in the day (not right before applying tape) and overtime to return the skin to a softer more normal condition.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Got a little chuckle out of that one. It reminded me of a commercial on TV. You can even rub a little under your eyes to get rid of those annoying circles.
    Check out the thumb pillow or cushion. You put it in the back of the thumb hole and you still get the feel of the ball in the front. Make it as tight as you can and it still comes out clean every time.

Chats: 2

Try the Bio Skin made by vise. It's not very thick and does a great job. I occasionally tear my finger open during tournaments due to overuse of my rosin bag. This tape sticks well and you hardly notice it, and keeps things from splitting more. It isn't sticky on the outside, and I think you'll get what you're looking for. No more new skin!

I want to thank all of you who have responded so far, and I appreciate all of the input.

A far as the thumb hole goes, my PSO has checked it a couple of times this year and he says all is good. He is the one who recommended the thumb sock.

As far as moisturizer goes, I started using it recently but it's going to take some time to get the areas worked out.

The small hole is on the inside of the thumb just above the bend of the knuckle, and the other spot that is starting to get bad is on the inside of the top knuckle of the middle finger and this is where I'm going to use the tape.

The thumb socks are arriving today and I'm going to try it tonight. I'll let you know how it worked out.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast