Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here use a urethane for spares instead of plastic?

Chats: 0

Default Does anyone here use a urethane for spares instead of plastic?

I have been using a urethane Blue Hammer ball for picking up spares and if conditions right as a strike and a spare ball. I am left handed so when going for a 7 pin leave I stand to the right and open up my hand and go over the 20 board to pick up 7 pin leaves. Just this past Saturday league night I used the urethane as a strike ball for all three games and it worked fine. In the second game my thumb started to hang up so I took out the tape after the sixth frame and shot six strikes in a row for a 218 game. First five frames were spares. For pins right of center that were left after first ball I would use my reactive ball to pick them up.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Depends on the conditions. Most times I use plastic, and once in a while I use my BTU.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Cranker

I go back and forth between my urethane and plastic. If I feel I need an extra strike ball, I'll bring my Pitch Black and use that for spares and just throw it flat, lately I've been using a Hammer Widow Spare ball.

Pin Crusher

I use a polished Motiv Rebel Tank as my spare ball. Comes in real handy when you hit a dry pair.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

I use both depending on the conditions I bowl on. I prefer using a spare ball 100% of the time, but spare balls don't last long for me. Every two to three years I'm either having repairs done or I just give them away to bowlers looking for spare ball. I recently gave away one early in the season. Even though my speed is 21 mph off the hand when throwing a spare ball, they've turned last minute on me with flying backends.

Currently, I don't have a try spare ball. I have a spare ball with a core. It has come in handy as a strike ball a few times this season. As for a shooting at spares with this ball, I had to adjust my game. And surprisingly my percentage has increased. Still, the shell on my plastic isn't as durable than my urethane.

Chats: 221

Last year I used a polished Rebel Tank. This year I'm using a Taboo spare
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

I use a Storm Mix, its urethane polished

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Right-handed I use a Storm Mix- urethane with a pancake weight block like a typical polyester ball would have. I did use a White Dot for a while but it cracked around the finger holes after only a year and half.

Left-handed I use my Storm Hy-road. 90% of the time I bring 4 balls to the bowling center. The Hy-road is the only one drilled for my left hand and I can change my release enough to go straight, or at least straight enough, at most spares.
    John

I don't like the movement I get from my urethane on spare shots, so I stick with a straight plastic for spares. Then I don't have to worry about changing my release.

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Right-handed I use a Storm Mix- urethane with a pancake weight block like a typical polyester ball would have. I did use a White Dot for a while but it cracked around the finger holes after only a year and half.

Left-handed I use my Storm Hy-road. 90% of the time I bring 4 balls to the bowling center. The Hy-road is the only one drilled for my left hand and I can change my release enough to go straight, or at least straight enough, at most spares.
    I'm just curious. Not not accusing you of anything, but you do know the rules on 118b about switching hands right? just wondering that's all....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast