Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spare Ball Question

Chats: 2

I picked up a white dot from a guy as my Mainframe cracked around the fingers last year. I'm used to getting 2 boards hook out of a plastic ball, but this white dot doesn't move at all. Throws me off from time to time. I've thought about just polishing the hell out of my Pitch Blue and using that, but I use it when the lanes break down (happens quite often in my home center). Just going to have to get accustomed to it not moving and make the right adjustments.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    I picked up a white dot from a guy as my Mainframe cracked around the fingers last year. I'm used to getting 2 boards hook out of a plastic ball, but this white dot doesn't move at all. Throws me off from time to time. I've thought about just polishing the hell out of my Pitch Blue and using that, but I use it when the lanes break down (happens quite often in my home center). Just going to have to get accustomed to it not moving and make the right adjustments.
    Not moving at all is exactly what you should want from a spare ball. Best thing would be to take a practice session to figure out exactly where you need to set up and where you should target using the new ball and then keep going until it becomes automatic.
    John

I never understood why bowlers would use a lighter weight or heavier weighted spare ball...

Oh I've gotten accustomed to it. I've actually thought about getting another urethane because I actually like a little movement in a spare ball

another thing I don't understand, why do some bowlers to tour pro like osku throw bullets at single pins? For what purpose?

I saw him overseas one day with Kim L., they were practicing at the very end of the bowling alley and I was the only one there besides the two of them. I didn't know they were there until I heard a loud BOOM!! and a pin sounding like it broke. I looked over as he walked back.... most likely the that rack had 20 pins instead of 21....

well if you throw it hard enough, it won't be able to hook away....

Quote Originally Posted by mishatx View Post
    well if you throw it hard enough, it won't be able to hook away....
    high speed has no bearing on accuracy for the spare game. Throwing it harder can cause inaccuracy. Throwing it harder is a different dimension of pace and timing vs normal strike swing and ball speed. This causes inconsistency for many bowlers. A spare ball is easier to roll straight with normal speed, proper technique, and it wouldn't hook. I prefer to keep a consistent swing tempo that repeats itself from strike and spare shooting.

Osku throws it hard for the simple fact that when he throws with 1 hand, he has a very high back swing. When he comes back down, everything unloads into it. He's not purposely trying to throw it as hard as he can. He's also VERY accurate.

On another note, I think I got familiar with my plastic ball last night. 29 clean 663 (left a 7-10 the first game, almost covered it. Kicked the 10 up, hit the deck and bounced off).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12