0 0%
  • Teddy Ruxpin

5 83.33%
  • It's a Dead Heat

1 16.67%

Thread: Who's Better?

Chats: 204

Question Who's Better?

I was trying to assess my bowling progress after a recent tournament and noticed that in 4 years of me participating in the tournament, there was at least ONE other bowler that was present all 4 years. To keep names out of out, we'll call him "Teddy Ruxpin".

Year 1:

Aslan
    Average: 165
    Tournament Division: B
    Tournament Series: 563
    Division Finish: 5th

Teddy Ruxpin
    Average: 185
    Tournament Division: A
    Tournament Series: 664
    Division Finish: 2nd

Year 2:

Aslan
    Average: 167
    Tournament Division: B
    Tournament Series: 527
    Division Finish: 3rd

Teddy Ruxpin
    Average: 181
    Tournament Series: 628
    Division Finish: 1st

Year 3:

Aslan
    Average: 173
    Tournament Series: 609

Teddy Ruxpin
    Average: 178
    Tournament Series: 633
    Division Finish: 2nd

Year 4:

Aslan
    Average: 188
    Tournament Division: Classic/Open
    Tournament Series: 669

Teddy Ruxpin
    Average: 178
    Tournament Series: 555

The reason for the question is that, on the one side, you have Teddy Ruxpin...who appears to be a 175-185 average bowler, consistently each year, who has been champion of his division, AND who bested Aslan in their only divisional match-up. He has averaged 206 over 12 tournament games and has bowled +104 pins over is average.

On the other hand, Aslan's average has gone up each year and he has competed in the top division. Had it not been for a season of bowling at an easier AMF center two seasons ago, Aslan would have been in the same division as Teddy Ruxpin and finished in 1st place (bumping Teddy to 4th).

My vote is that Teddy Ruxpin is better. The statistics just seem to be overwhelmingly in his favor. Who is better "right now"? Hard to say. I'd say we're both 180+ bowlers capable of throwing 600-675 in the tournament.

Who will be better next year? Good question. This year I'm averaging in the 181-188 range...if that held up and he was still at 178...we'd be in the same division and I'd probably be favored to win. But, most bowlers eventually hit a "wall" at some point...their averages peak....then settle in to a range that is repeated for many seasons until age and/or injuries catch up with them. Extrapolating, using current average trends...I would have a 196 average next year and Teddy Ruxpin would have a 176 as our averages are trending in different directions.

It's nice to know I've went from being a bowler 20 pins behind him in average...to a bowler that is at LEAST on par with him if not better. BUT...if there was money on the line, I would probably pick Teddy over Aslan given the stats above. At least Teddy has been champion, is consistent, bowls well in a tournament environment, and (if you cheat like I did and look at his Bowl.com page...he has 3-4 perfect games and an 800-series...all of which I do not have.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Teddy. Hands down.

See if you maintain the 15 point jump in average or was this just an aberration??

4 Year Avg Aslan: 173.25
    4 Tear Avg Teddy: 180.5

Yes you had a solid Year 4, but we can only go by the data you have provided. Let us see how the next 4 years go to compare the same sample size.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I would pick Teddy. It seems he is more consistent.

Chats: 55

Neither - or Either, it would be WHOEVER bowls best that particular day.

But actually, I personally think the "better" bowler to be the one that puts the work in to become "better", the one that struggles to become "better", the one that keeps improving or "bettering" their average. Of course, on paper, you only have numbers to go by.

ALL depends on your definition of "better". As a verb it means: improve on or surpass (an existing or previous level or achievement)
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150