Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benchmark ball

Default Benchmark ball

I'm fairly new to bowling, (5 months) I'm looking for a benchmark ball for a typical house pattern. I'm a lefty stroker who throws about 16 mph with medium revs at best. I currently own a Forrest green quantum and ebonite cyclone, but am looking for a solid benchmark ball that I can use first on a house shot whether fresh or beat up oil.
    Thank you!

Welcome!

There are a lot of benchmark balls out here, but the original DV8 Vandal is an excellent benchmark ball. It is also good enough to use for the entire night, and I certainly have on many occasions.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Sounds like a great ball, but I'm having trouble finding it in 15lbs. I believe it's a discontinued ball? Any other suggestions? Also, When picking this next "benchmark" ball should I consider a different cover stock then the balls in my current aresenal? (Polished solid reactive and a matte/sanded reactive resin)

The original Vandal is still available. BowlersMart https://www.bowlersmart.com/dv8-vandal-bowling-ball still has them in many different weights, and for $135 it's a darn good price.

You can check out our review of the Vandal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPaobF59JsQ&t=99s
    Last edited by 1VegasBowler; 02-09-2017 at 05:11 PM.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Quote Originally Posted by Algamotorsports67 View Post
    Sounds like a great ball, but I'm having trouble finding it in 15lbs. I believe it's a discontinued ball? Any other suggestions? Also, When picking this next "benchmark" ball should I consider a different cover stock then the balls in my current aresenal? (Polished solid reactive and a matte/sanded reactive resin)
    If you want a Vandal, maybe look at the latest one Vandal Destroy and see if it meets your needs.

Chats: 221

Chronic Paranoia is a really good benchmark for THS.
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Quote Originally Posted by Algamotorsports67 View Post
    I'm fairly new to bowling, (5 months) I'm looking for a benchmark ball for a typical house pattern. I'm a lefty stroker who throws about 16 mph with medium revs at best. I currently own a Forrest green quantum and ebonite cyclone, but am looking for a solid benchmark ball that I can use first on a house shot whether fresh or beat up oil.
    Thank you!
    There is no such thing as a benchmark ball that you can use on fresh oil OR a beat up pattern. Stick with the two balls you have until you figure out what you're doing. I'm afraid that you have gotten the impression on these boards that the "right" ball can do everything... NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
    Chronic Paranoia is a really good benchmark for THS.
    Yes! Threw this ball at a demo and it was fantastic. It was very predictable and had a great motion downlane.

Currently use my RG DareDevil as my benchmark ball. Great ball as well but it is a little more angular than the chronic.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    There is no such thing as a benchmark ball that you can use on fresh oil OR a beat up pattern. Stick with the two balls you have until you figure out what you're doing. I'm afraid that you have gotten the impression on these boards that the "right" ball can do everything... NOT!
    To add to Rob's post, the term benchmark ball really applies for advanced/elite bowlers who have an array of balls to choose from. By having a bench mark ball they can quickly decide if they need something that reacts earlier or later.

For some one starting out, the first step is to get your physical game set. Your footwork, swing, etc. have to be repeatable. Once you have some consistency you can begin to read the lane with either of the two balls that you have. With whichever ball you happen to throw you can analyze your shot; Felt good off my hand, close enough to my target, went brooklyn. Can I adjust and get this ball in the pocket? If I can, is it getting good pin carry? Would the other ball carry better?

Unless you are honestly making 90% of your 7 pins, your next ball should be plain old plastic. If you are, that's great and you can think about a third strike ball, but honestly unless you're bowling sport patterns or at several different locations you don't need it yet.
    John

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    To add to Rob's post, the term benchmark ball really applies for advanced/elite bowlers who have an array of balls to choose from. By having a bench mark ball they can quickly decide if they need something that reacts earlier or later.

For some one starting out, the first step is to get your physical game set. Your footwork, swing, etc. have to be repeatable. Once you have some consistency you can begin to read the lane with either of the two balls that you have. With whichever ball you happen to throw you can analyze your shot; Felt good off my hand, close enough to my target, went brooklyn. Can I adjust and get this ball in the pocket? If I can, is it getting good pin carry? Would the other ball carry better?

Unless you are honestly making 90% of your 7 pins, your next ball should be plain old plastic. If you are, that's great and you can think about a third strike ball, but honestly unless you're bowling sport patterns or at several different locations you don't need it yet.
    Look at this one. Best advice yet!!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast