Thread: Junior Gold Tournament Question

Chats: 0

Default Junior Gold Tournament Question

I was privileged to be able to volunteer for the Junior Gold Tournament in Cleveland this week. What an awesome group of young people. I was part of the intake one day and while waiting for the lists I was asked this question: "Is it legal to modify a thumb hole with a rosin bag?" Since I was not a tournament official and really did not know the answer to this I directed the person to the front desk. But the question lingers in my mind. Would this be legal? I think the pro shop at the venue was open and other modifications could have been made there. However, we all have our preferred proshop so perhaps that would not be agreeable to this person.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by taxexpert2 View Post
    Junior Gold Tournament ..................... "Is it legal to modify a thumb hole with a rosin bag?" .................................. However, we all have our preferred proshop so perhaps that would not be agreeable to this person.

Anyone know the answer to this?
    I don't know if the Junior Gold Tournament has any specific rules.

Best bet would have been to check with the tournament director. (erring on the side of caution I'd say you couldn't)

But If they are referring to patting the bag on the thumb or finger holes. If it's like the USBC Nationals, You can't pat rosin (or a dry bag) on the thumb or finger holes.

Because the powder gets on the surface of the ball and it can't be entirely removed and your not allowed to have a foreign substance on the surface of the ball and Rosin and Powder are considered foreign substances.

Now if they mean rubbing some in the hole directly before hand , I don't think there's anything against it. Unless they did it in such a way that the powder poured out of the hole or was getting on the surface of the ball.

(Personally I wouldn't want to do that, it would get the hole all gummy and could cause problems with sticking in the hole.)

I think you'd have to know exactly what they meant by modify a thumb hole with a rosin bag.

The pro shop wouldn't really have any bearing on this, that would be something the player would be doing themselves. You wouldn't need a proshop to put rosin in a hole (need one to buy some rosin from though lol).

Note:
    There are two different type "Rosin Bags" and are for two different things.

1-Is the Dry/puffball Type bag, those are the big ones you see bowler's using most of the time to dry a sweaty hand or patting on the finger holes. These are a cloth bag and mostly contain a clay like ADsorbent silica material (like cat litter) that makes a fine dust that drys your hand out.

2-Is the Grip type which is more of a true "rosin bag", they are meant to give you more grip. They have a white sticky powder substance in them ( I believe a plant extract or similar type material) that gives you a surer grip on the ball.

Warning these two bags are not interchangeable! Over use the grip type and you can hang up in a ball, also the sticky white powder can build up in the holes and cause you to stick.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-22-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

Have to agree with Bowl. Really need to know what your talking about. I can't imagine how you would actually modify a thumbhole with a rosin bag.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I was wondering if people actually do this (Smack the rosin bag over the thumbhole)... Was watching a bowling GoPro edit on YouTube and the guy did this, wiped down the ball.. Rosin'd up his hand and then smacked it on the thumbhole before he tossed it on the ball return and proceeded to throw his shot.... Granted it did look cool in the video and this guy probably did it more for video appeal than anything BUT it got me wondering if people actually do this. Would think it would put the powder on the ball, in turn it goes on the lane.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    I was wondering if people actually do this (Smack the rosin bag over the thumbhole)... Was watching a bowling GoPro edit on YouTube and the guy did this, wiped down the ball.. Rosin'd up his hand and then smacked it on the thumbhole before he tossed it on the ball return and proceeded to throw his shot.... Granted it did look cool in the video and this guy probably did it more for video appeal than anything BUT it got me wondering if people actually do this. Would think it would put the powder on the ball, in turn it goes on the lane.
    Of course people do it, It was done alot that's why they came up with rules about it. Yes it got powder on the ball, most people wiped it off though.

The big problem was that they did it over the ball return, which caused the powder to get on everyone else's ball.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

And unfortunately I do not know what the "modification" was since I did not persue the question any further - was not in a position to make an official response at all.