Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a really good fitting for my first hook ball. Any in Western MA?

Default Need a really good fitting for my first hook ball. Any in Western MA?

So I am buying my first ball for hooking with. I don't know what I need for drilling since my plastic ball is drilled mostly like a house ball, but I do know I need it done right and my local pro shop operator is young and doesn't seem very advanced, especially after watching a few of Mr. Ron Hoppe's ball drilling and fitting videos. My guy did almost no measurements when fitting me for my plastic ball. He just had me use the spread measurement device and try some finger sizings. When I ask questions, he appears slightly flustered and evasive with his answers. I was thinking of going to an IBPSIA certified shop, but the closest one is in Southern CT about an hour away. Is IBPSIA certified worth it? How can I find a fitter I can trust? Anyone have a good recommendation within 30 minutes of Springfield, MA?
    Last edited by ccbehrens; 02-13-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

It may be a hike for you but I would recommend Buddy's Pro Shop. Are they the place in Southern Ct you are referring to? Anyway, those guys are really nice guys and know their stuff. Also if you buy from their website you can have them drill for you too since they would have your measurements. Also, I would recommend having your plastic ball drilled the same way as your new ball so that way you have the same feel and aren't switching back and forth.

Cranker

One more thing, maybe get a lesson as well since this will be your first hooking ball. You might as well learn the proper way to throw it before you pick up any bad habits learning on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    It may be a hike for you but I would recommend Buddy's Pro Shop. Are they the place in Southern Ct you are referring to? Anyway, those guys are really nice guys and know their stuff. Also if you buy from their website you can have them drill for you too since they would have your measurements. Also, I would recommend having your plastic ball drilled the same way as your new ball so that way you have the same feel and aren't switching back and forth.
    Thanks for the info. Where is Buddy's at? The three IBPSIA shops listed on the IBPSIA website are:

10 In The Pit Pro Shop
    980 N. Colony Road
    Wallingford, Connecticut 06492
    E-mail:
    pitowner10@gmail.com
    Phone:
    203-804-5220

Better Bowling Concepts
    188 West Town Street
    Norwich, Connecticut 6360
    E-mail:
    wdaley@csc.com
    Phone:
    860-886-3361X114

BSW Bowling Store
    525 Main St
    East Haven, Connecticut 06512
    E-mail:
    robertburr47@frontier.com
    Phone:
    203-996-4208

As for lessons I agree that lessons would be good, but I think or suspect I will run into the same thing locally with coaches. People who can play well don't necessarily make good teachers I find when I comes to most things. (being a musician myself and have had many teachers) My spouse and I are learning togther (buddy system) and we looked around and the few that are near are either not very promising or hellish expensive. In the mean time we're not going it alone exactly. I have invested in a few resources such a Mark Baker's DVD "The System" as well as some of the gold coaching videos by Ron Hoppe and a membership to the USBC Bowling Academy which gives me a ton of videos to watch and we have also purchased the book Bare Bones Bowling for some insight. We're taking video and breaking things down bit by bit. If we get stuck though, I am sure we'll find a solution or find a coach. Thanks though!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Buddies Pro Shop is at 802 Villa Ave. Fairfield, CT, inside Nutmeg Bowl. Very easy to get to from I95 and not too hard to get to if you prefer driving on the Merrit Parkway.
    John

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by ccbehrens View Post
    As for lessons I agree that lessons would be good, but I think or suspect I will run into the same thing locally with coaches. People who can play well don't necessarily make good teachers I find when I comes to most things. (being a musician myself and have had many teachers) My spouse and I are learning togther (buddy system) and we looked around and the few that are near are either not very promising or hellish expensive. In the mean time we're not going it alone exactly. I have invested in a few resources such a Mark Baker's DVD "The System" as well as some of the gold coaching videos by Ron Hoppe and a membership to the USBC Bowling Academy which gives me a ton of videos to watch and we have also purchased the book Bare Bones Bowling for some insight. We're taking video and breaking things down bit by bit. If we get stuck though, I am sure we'll find a solution or find a coach. Thanks though!
    As I was the same way, I watched as much training videos as I could and then I actually went down to the Kegel Training Center in Florida for a lesson and they showed me videos of my release and I was horrified. What I thought I was doing and what I was actually doing on video were 2 completely different things. So if you aren't going to get a coach, I would recommend having your spouse and you take videos of yourself and concentrate on staying behind the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    As I was the same way, I watched as much training videos as I could and then I actually went down to the Kegel Training Center in Florida for a lesson and they showed me videos of my release and I was horrified. What I thought I was doing and what I was actually doing on video were 2 completely different things. So if you aren't going to get a coach, I would recommend having your spouse and you take videos of yourself and concentrate on staying behind the ball.
    Yeah, I have Coach's Eye installed on my Android and Coach my Video is on my spouses Iphone, so we have been taking videos of each other on our approach and swing and comparing it to several of the good coaching video DVD's available. With that being said, my best game and average recently went up by about 20+ pins as a result. Consistency is starting to come into our game even though we're still using plastic and throwing straight.

Chats: 1

That first step into a reactive ball and the right fit is very important. It good that you are looking around that will save you from throwing money out the window. After everything is fit and drilled for you ask for a copy of your fit your pap and even the lay out of your ball. that info can come in handy.

I ended up going to DJ's Pro Shop in Auburn Ma and got fitted by John. It turns out he's an IBPSIA certified fitter. Why that didn't show up on the IBPSIA website is beyond me. It was a bit closer at about 45-50 mins away. He was good too, just in case anyone else in MA is looking in the future. The shop is in the AMF in Auburn.
    Last edited by ccbehrens; 02-20-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast