Thread: Timeless Truth

Default Timeless Truth

Marketing is king in our society. It has been for a long, long time. Nowhere in bowling is marketing's power more evident in the new Timeless release from Storm. The ball has been touted as a collaboration between Storm and three-time PBA Player of the Year, Jason Belmonte. Because of all the hype, along with the inflated price tag, there is more misinformation going around among bowlers about this ball than any other ball release in memory. First of all, bowlers think that the Timeless is very strong, or aggressive. Some bowlers actually think that it is a heavy oil ball. Let me set the record straight. The Timeless is not a heavy oil ball. It is not a "strong" or overly aggressive ball. It is, however, a great ball. It is an updated version of the HyRoad which is the longest standing current release in the Storm line, and most probably, any modern line.

Let's look at the two balls side by side (all specs are at 15 lbs.). The HyRoad has a low RG of 2.57. The Timeless has a low RG of 2.57. The HyRoad has a differential of 0.044. The Timeless has a differential of 0.050. While the differential on the Timeless is slightly higher, when you compare it to the differential in the Code Black (0.058), it is still significantly lower, and when you compare it to the differential in the IQ Tour (0.029), I think that it's apparent that it's not that big of a deal in either case. The cover on the HyRoad is the R2S hybrid, finished to 1500 + polish. The cover on the Timeless is the same R2S hybrid, also finished to 1500 + polish. The biggest difference between the HyRoad and the Timeless is, supposedly the core. The Timeless has the new Dual-Drive core which places one core inside another core. The overall shape of the core is still round, and the core is still symmetrical, much like the HyRoad core. The whole idea that it "transfers more energy to the pins" has yet to be seen or proven.

Personally, I've been throwing the Timeless for the last week or so, and can highly recommend it as a very good medium-aggressive bowling ball. If that is something you need, definitely buy one. If you still have a HyRoad that's in good shape, save your money and buy something else to expand your arsenal.

Chats: 10

I know it's not a great reason to not buy one, but bowling with one hand and having a two handed logo on it, I wont buy it. To me, doesn't seem right!
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Storm marketing did a great job building up demand for the Timeless, but they did a lousy job discussing the overall intent of the ball. They pulled out all the stops, using Belmonte, Duke, Diandra Asbaty, etc. to make videos about the ball. There are also more and more ball reaction videos popping up on Youtube. Quite frankly it doesn't seem any more impressive than any other new ball. There was an interesting video comparing the Timeless to the Sky Rocket, and the Sky Rocket looked way better. I actually started researching the Sky Rocket only to find out it has been discontinued. Kind of funny that an independent comparison review made a discontinued ball look better than a new "latest and greatest" ball.

Someone I bowl with was all set to get a new Quantum Fire, but now the PSO has convinced them to go for the Timeless because it will give them the long and strong reaction they are used to. It will be interesting to see how the Timeless works for them, but it won't be surprising if it is a corner pin machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    Someone I bowl with was all set to get a new Quantum Fire, but now the PSO has convinced them to go for the Timeless because it will give them the long and strong reaction they are used to. It will be interesting to see how the Timeless works for them, but it won't be surprising if it is a corner pin machine.
    Given how close the core numbers are, the guy's PSO is probably right. Storm's higher reactivity to friction will probably give him a stronger back end reaction than he would see from the Quantum Fire.

Chats: 32

Timeless= Storm Hyroad plus $40 for Belmo
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Timeless= Storm Hyroad plus $40 for Belmo
    This is so true. Amyers for weekly ball winner!
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Chats: 4

Think I'll have to pass on buying a Timeless but if I was going to buy a new
    Storm ball I'd get a Hy-Road almost the same numbers but $50.00 cheaper
    and as Dell Ballard always says "the lanes always comes to the Hy-Road".
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    Think I'll have to pass on buying a Timeless but if I was going to buy a new
    Storm ball I'd get a Hy-Road almost the same numbers but $50.00 cheaper
    and as Dell Ballard always says "the lanes always comes to the Hy-Road".
    Yes! Bought a 15 lb Hy-Road recently to go with my much older 16 lb one. One great ball...

Chats: 1

Thank you! I was curious about this myself, now leaning towards the Code Black for something aggressive.