Thread: Rangefinders

Default Rangefinders

Getting back into bowling. My...how things have changed! Wife and I took a lesson...coach said I looked pretty good. Having trouble with my release. Love the fingertip grip...and having balls drilled just for me. Big difference. Have a plastic Columbia 300 and a DV8 Outcast. Coach said I tend to flip my hand to try and get some hook. Did some release drills, which helped. I'm really jazzed. Lots of work to do...but I was thrilled when I saw my ball hook into the pocket and got a strike!
    So...what are the range finder used for? I forgot to ask my coach.

There are four the range finders. Two for righties and two for lefties. The board 10 rangefinders are from 40 to 43 feet and board 15 pair are from 34 to 37 feet down the lane. Joe Slowinski and other well known bowling coaches teach how to use the bowling ball breakpoint and the end of pattern exit point. The formula suggested is to take the pattern length and subtract 31 boards from it to determine where your ball will likely do pretty well to get to the pocket assuming your rolling a hook. So if the pattern you're bowling on is 40 feet, the exit point from the pattern should be around board 9.
    The range finders give you a guide to where your ball should be toward the end of any pattern you find yourself bowling on.
    The key is to find out how long the pattern is first and then make your adjustments from there.
    Many folks make it clear that this formula doesn't necessarily apply to your typical house shot (THS); however, where I typically bowl, the length of the pattern is 40 feet. Most of the higher scoring bowlers have their balls exiting the pattern right around board 8 or a little inside of that.
    Use the range finders as another guide. Hope this helps...

Chats: 0

Double C, welcome to the boards. Attached is a link that may be helpful.

http://www.bowlersreference.com/Approach/Targeting/
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Rangefinders are awesome if you bowl somewhere that has them.
    To my knowledge, only the Brunswick Pro Anvilane have them.

If you are interested, Pro Bowl West in Lebanon is having a Motiv demo day on March 18th. If you have been out for a while, it might be worth going to try some new equipment to see what you like and don't like. They have various spans with interchangeable fingers and thumbs so about anyone can throw them.

I went to the demo in Muncie and really likde the Ghost (bought one) and the Chronic Paranoia. They also had the Primal Fear, Trident (own) and the Freestyle to try out.

Welcome to the forums!
    Current arsenal:
    Motiv Trident Motiv Jackal Ghost RG No Rules RG DareDevil
    C300 Impulse Hammer Black Urethane