Thread: My Brunswick TPU-X Traction Sole Modification

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default My Brunswick TPU-X Traction Sole Modification

My modification of the Brunswick TPU-X bowling shoe, TP3 rubber push off sole.

The edge of the sole would drag and the velcro would no longer stick to the shoe, KR sent me a replacement and said to just fudge it over a little away from the edge to stop it.

I thought I could do something better.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

Awesome video. What did you use to attach the leather piece to the shoe? Velcro to velcro?
    Last edited by Blacksox1; 02-22-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksox1 View Post
    Awesome video. What did you use to attach the leather piece to the shoe? Velcro to velcro?
    Yes The leather stuck right on, it was just a piece of a regular dexter #2 interchangeable sole so had velcro on it already and stuck right on.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Great vid and mod!

This has inspired me to perhaps try the same thing on the slide sole to try and fine tune the inbetween of too little and too much I am having.
    Current arsenal:
    Motiv Trident Motiv Jackal Ghost RG No Rules RG DareDevil
    C300 Impulse Hammer Black Urethane

Chats: 2

mine are starting to do this as well and I was told from Brunswick to move the sole back 1/8". I just ordered a replacement traction sole today as the tip of mine basically split from this same issue. The rubber is actually peeling from the velcro on the sole itself. One thing I noticed, if you accidentally drag your toe on your push off (sometimes happens when kick the leg behind), its slick as hell! About fell on my face the first time that happened. I've been thinking of taking a bit of rubber from an old push off sole and putting it on the toe, or trying to modify my dexter power sole from my old SST8's to make it work. If I get around to that, I'll post something showing what I've done. I've actually made my own pair of interchangeables as well out of an old pair of tennis shoes. Just scuffed the bottom, got some 3M velcro, glued the velcro down to the sole of the tennis shoe, and modified my bowling soles accordingly. Worked pretty good for just messing around with it bored one day. May have to actually find a flat pair of shoes that it will work better with (I did it with a pair of DC skate shoes, not the best idea lol)