Thread: Bowling at Sam's Town- arsenal concerns

Chats: 204

Question Bowling at Sam's Town- arsenal concerns

Even though I've swept many times in Vegas, most of my experience has been at The Orleans and Gold Coast...but I've also bowled at South Pointe and Red Rock. This March, I'll be sweeping at Sam's Town twice.

My current arsenal was "constructed" with two main things in mind:
    1) I kept some of the variables constant (Pearl covers, assymetric, 2.49 RG) so I could evaluate more closely other variables (manufacturer variance, differential, and PerfectScale).

2) My arsenal was designed to perform well at the house I bowl at 2 out of 3 times a week. It's an older house, light/low oil synthetics, and the lanes tend to transition quickly.

With that in mind, the "progression" is to start with the Radical Reax Pearl (2.492 RG, 0.054 diff., 224.8 PS, 4000 OOB) on the fresh...then when the lanes start to transition, I move to the Ebonite Innovate (2.49 RG, 0.041 diff., 189.9 PS, 2000 OOB). When/If there is enough "carry-down", I switch to the Hammer Scandal Pearl (2.49 RG, 0.047 diff., 231.9 PS, 500/polished OOB).

The Reax Pearl has done rather well at this house.
    Stats: > 40 games, 194.95 average, 46% strike rate.

The Innovate started out strong, but quickly developed a pronounced track, started losing power, and it took me some time to fix my ball spinner so I could resurface it. It does seem to be significantly weaker than either the Reax Pearl or Scandal Pearl...leading me to believe that the significantly lower differential is an impactful spec.
    Stats: > 35 games, 184.58 average, 46% strike rate.

The Scandal Pearl replaced the Rotogrip Defiant Edge...which was a very disappointing ball. Like my last attempt at throwing a Rotogrip ball (Asylum), the ball just hooked too soon and hit the pocket like a wet tissue. The Scandal Pearl, on the other hand, has been a monster.
    Stats: ~ 15 games, 190.00 average, 50% strike rate.

In contrast, with the Defiant Edge, in < 10 games, I averaged 162.00 with a measly 32% strike rate.

So....back to the main question. This arsenal/progression was designed with this house in mind...and now I'm going to be bowling at Sam's Town...which I have no experience with...but it's almost certainly going to be a "slicker/wider/longer" pattern than what I'm used to. So, I have to figure out a couple things:

1) Do I want to alter the surfaces on my current progression? They are working well as is...do I want to "mess with them" to adapt them to Sam's Town? If so, how should I "mess with them"?

2) Of the other 16lb retired balls that I have sitting around...should I bring them with me...and maybe start out with something with a solid or hybrid cover...maybe something with more surface?

The options I have are:
    Hammer Rhythm (sym, solid, 2.5 RG, 0.04 diff., 211 PS, 2000 OOB)
    900Global Bullet Train (sym, hybrid, 2.55 RG, 0.04 diff., 222.8 PS, 2500 OOB)
    Columbia300 Encounter (asym, pearl, 2.51 RG, 0.047 diff., 203.8 PS, 2000 OOB)

I don't think the Encounter is going to give me much different of a look than my current progression. But, I could take the Rhythm and the Bullet Train...maybe add some surface to each...and try them first on fresh.

Should I just use my current progression? Should I "mess with the surface" in my current progression?, Should I bring the Rhythm and/or Bullet Train? Should I add surface to the Rhythm and/or Bullet Train? If so, what surfacing would you recommend?

My concern is that my "progression" is based greatly on the conditions I usually bowl on...which are likely NOT the conditions I'll see at Sam's Town. And given that all 3 of my balls are similar in their core symmetry, RG, and cover...it leaves me with less of an ability to adapt them to other conditions. Yet, the 'retired' options I have...are older balls that likely don't have the same 'power' of the newer balls that are currently in my progression. I'd also be introducing a slight variable by using the retired balls...since only the Bullet Train is drilled for the VISE inserts...the Rhythm has a slightly different layout...and the Encounter has a different thumb pitch.
    Last edited by Aslan; 02-23-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 184; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 0

Aslan,

Wow.. Hard to decide, agreed. I've never played Sam's Town, but I was able to find out they have AMF HPL lanes, so they're going to have more traction than a lot of the joints you & I play. <g>

At Saddleback and Fountain we're on Brunswick Pro Anvilane, which is slick as hell (due to it's high durometer and smooth texture). Seems like your balls have a lot of surface for the AMF lanes. On the AMF lanes, I can pretty much play my Danger Zone (OOB polish finish) for the whole set and leave smiling... No matter the oil condition. Man, when you play ANY other lane surface after playing Pro AL, it seems like you just can't miss!!! If they're putting out an easy shot, all the better.

A teammate and I played Fountain with a fresh shot Tuesday morning, and their THS is super-short... Probably to make the old folks have more ball reaction (worked for me!!). There were some sweet little old blue-hairs next to us throwing some kick-*** games with nice pocket hits. We were all having a great time! Anyhow... that's about how AMF lanes will feel with a more normal-length oil pattern.

Can you get data on the oil pattern? The search I did yielded some posts from circa '08 that reported a pretty walled-in shot, so you might be able to crank your spare ball! ;-)

I dunno'... I'd bring a couple bottles of polish in 4000 and 5000, just in case.

My 2 cents!

I've played South Point and Red Rock, which are real modern and reward modern equipment and techniques. Older joints, I find I need to play like I did when I was 12 years old.... In 1979... with comparable equipment. Gotta say.. My Danger Zone has been a fantastic ball for broken down Pro AL, and freshly conditioned AMF lanes surfaces.

Hope you have a great look over there!

I've had good luck at Sam's using my Ultimate Nirvana, Vandal Smash and original Vandal.

The Ultimate and/or Smash are great in the beginning, and the original towards the end.

I won't get to use the PitBull there until March 18 & 19.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Chats: 32

Hit the bullet train with a 2k pad and add that to the bag in case you find you need something with more surface other than that I’d leave the bag alone
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by DMS View Post
    Aslan,

Wow.. Hard to decide, agreed. I've never played Sam's Town, but I was able to find out they have AMF HPL lanes, so they're going to have more traction than a lot of the joints you & I play. <g>
    Well, THAT would be a good thing. I'm much more concerned that the lanes will be too slick. With 3 polished Pearls, traction is fine.

At Saddleback and Fountain we're on Brunswick Pro Anvilane, which is slick as hell (due to it's high durometer and smooth texture).
    I've found Fountain to play alot like most other OCUSBC houses. Tustin Lanes (before it closed), Fountain, Forest...all seem to have the same, easy THS. AMF Carter has an even easier shot...but similar.

Linbrook is 'weird' because the lanes are so old that they transition quickly. Concourse is a joke because they don't have a consistent oiling schedule and the lanes have a crazy short/narrow pattern. Titan Lanes are also erratic...which is to be expected of a 8-lane alley in the basement of a college student center. La Habra 300 is a bit tougher of a shot. Irvine Lanes are really slick.

I've never rolled at 300 Anaheim, Saddleback, Westminster, nor AMF Valley View. From what I've heard, AMF Valley View is similar to AMF Carter. Westminster is similar to most of the other OC houses. And Saddleback, 1-2 years ago, had the highest averages (easiest lanes) of the OC centers. 300 Anaheim is a "pretend bowling/bowlmor center" so they don't have leagues and I would be too embarrassed to bowl there.

you might be able to crank your spare ball! ;-)
    Even "if"...that was an option...I'd never be able to carry. I've tried my Track 300A at Concourse...because the lanes are rediculous...and it just has NO power...which would be the problem with using a spare ball. Not to mention, my spare ball isn't drilled with a VISE insert...so the 'feel' would be off.

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    I've had good luck at Sam's using my Ultimate Nirvana, Vandal Smash and original Vandal.

The Ultimate and/or Smash are great in the beginning, and the original towards the end.
    That's strange. All 3 of those balls have similar specs (RG, Diff.)...the main difference being the covers. Yet, you start with a hybrid and then go to a solid. Some would say there is literally no difference between a solid, hybrid, and pearl cover...if they are all surfaced to the same finish. But, perhaps I DO need to bring the Rhythm and Bullet Train...

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Hit the bullet train with a 2k pad and add that to the bag in case you find you need something with more surface other than that I’d leave the bag alone
    Yeah. I could always move a little outside and maybe use the same aresnal.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 184; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    That's strange. All 3 of those balls have similar specs (RG, Diff.)...the main difference being the covers. Yet, you start with a hybrid and then go to a solid. Some would say there is literally no difference between a solid, hybrid, and pearl cover...if they are all surfaced to the same finish. But, perhaps I DO need to bring the Rhythm and Bullet Train...
    Because of the drillings I have on them they react very differently, with the original Vandal having a very smooth angle to the pocket where i can play that straight up the 10 board and not worry about it over reading.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick