Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 balls, suggestions?

I like the idea of the BTU. however will I be able to play it right of the oil, would it just need to be drilled differently? Sorry I'm sort of new to this stuff, don't really know alot.

What other ball would you guys suggest? I was looking at something like the Brunswick Fanatic-ish. Little stronger ball I can play right and through the oil and have it flair enough to hit the pocket

Quote Originally Posted by jbultman View Post
    I like the idea of the BTU. however will I be able to play it right of the oil, would it just need to be drilled differently? Sorry I'm sort of new to this stuff, don't really know alot.

What other ball would you guys suggest? I was looking at something like the Brunswick Fanatic-ish. Little stronger ball I can play right and through the oil and have it flair enough to hit the pocket
    It's all good.

You can use the BTU in the oil or away from the oil.

The drilling angle that I have is the same one in our video and it allows me to play up 10, up 15, 15-10, and has enough flare from any of those spots to get to the pocket. It will be slow doing it, but it gets there, and as a low speed, low rev player I have no issue with it making it to the pocket.

It also has a ton of energy at the back end for great continuation and pin action.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

I went to the shop today and they suggested staying with 14# and getting a hammer rebel solid. Thoughts?

I just found, local, a 15# rotogrip wrecker and rotogrip asylum. Thoughts on that set?

Chats: 2

Being a 2 hander myself, my current arsenal is a Phaze II, Phaze, Street Fight, and Pitch Blue, along with a white dot. I bowl on a 40ft THS most of the time in my house, and bowl several tournaments as well. I'm about 16.7-17.2 at the back end, and about a 450 rev rate. I'll start the night usually with either my Phaze II or Street Fight, depending on the look in practice and who I'm bowling against. If people are going to be blowing up the 10 board (pretty standard here), I'll start with my street fight and go about 15-10 with it and bank it off where they are. As the night progresses, I can either ball up and move left and keep banking, or if that goes away, I will grab my Pitch Blue and move outside (usually straight down 4-5 works great). Keep in mind, with urethane, it IS going to want to move as soon as it finds friction. If the front of the lane is going away, urethane won't be much help. If that happens, I usually move deep with a Phaze II as it will burn up a bit before it gets down lane.

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    Being a 2 hander myself, my current arsenal is a Phaze II, Phaze, Street Fight, and Pitch Blue, along with a white dot. I bowl on a 40ft THS most of the time in my house, and bowl several tournaments as well. I'm about 16.7-17.2 at the back end, and about a 450 rev rate. I'll start the night usually with either my Phaze II or Street Fight, depending on the look in practice and who I'm bowling against. If people are going to be blowing up the 10 board (pretty standard here), I'll start with my street fight and go about 15-10 with it and bank it off where they are. As the night progresses, I can either ball up and move left and keep banking, or if that goes away, I will grab my Pitch Blue and move outside (usually straight down 4-5 works great). Keep in mind, with urethane, it IS going to want to move as soon as it finds friction. If the front of the lane is going away, urethane won't be much help. If that happens, I usually move deep with a Phaze II as it will burn up a bit before it gets down lane.
    That's awesome, thanks! What's our thought on what my shop recommended, 14# rebel solid and keep my nitrous 14#?

Or the move to 15# and go with rotogrip wrecker and rotogrip asylum

I throw 14# myself. I threw 15# for many years, but with the more aggressive equipment, I dropped to 14# to keep ball speed up.

As for the rebel solid, it will be pretty dang aggressive. Its at 2000 grit. If you were to go with this, I'd suggest changing the surface to 4000 to tame it down a bit.

I've been throwing storm equipment now for the last 2 years, before that was throwing pyramid, so I don't know much about the other brands. The nitrous is a lower end pearl sym ball, which would be good for your drier conditions. I was a big fan of C300 growing up (loved the flipside series!). But, keep in mind with the surface, 2000 polished. If you're looking for something that will get you through an entire night, I'd check out something like a Storm Match Pearl (lower end pearl) or even the new Torrent (2000 solid). But, that's coming from someone that gets a good look from Storm equipment as well. I've thrown just about every brand over the years and I've found what works for me.

Also, the wrecker wasn't a bad ball, but a lot of people didn't like it. I like what I'm seeing out of the Wreck-em though. Looks great going down the lane, and would be a good ball to go to when the lanes start to transition

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    Also, the wrecker wasn't a bad ball, but a lot of people didn't like it. I like what I'm seeing out of the Wreck-em though. Looks great going down the lane, and would be a good ball to go to when the lanes start to transition
    The pro shop actually recommended a non-pearl ball specifically the wreck-it, the rebel solid or the game breaker.
    I like the reasoning behind keeping a 14#. No reason to try too hard. What about 14# wreck-it and 14# wreck-em and sell the nitrous? Or for that matter wreck it and nitrous?
    Last edited by jbultman; 03-03-2017 at 07:17 PM.

I was lucky enough to have won a Wreck-It ball here. It has a matte finish and it reads the lanes very early. It has good continuation on the back end. Great reaction for the money; however, it was too much for me to handle. So I took some Storm Reacta Shine to it and it had about the right amount of length like I like. My feeling is that the Wreck-Em would be good, too; however, I don't see any need for the both of them in your or my bag. Just changing the finish with an Abralon pad or some polish will get your ball working like you'd like IMHO. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    I was lucky enough to have won a Wreck-It ball here. It has a matte finish and it reads the lanes very early. It has good continuation on the back end. Great reaction for the money; however, it was too much for me to handle. So I took some Storm Reacta Shine to it and it had about the right amount of length like I like. My feeling is that the Wreck-Em would be good, too; however, I don't see any need for the both of them in your or my bag. Just changing the finish with an Abralon pad or some polish will get your ball working like you'd like IMHO. Good luck!
    What do you suggest then I put/ have in my bag?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast