Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USBC membership -- waste of money for rec bowler?

Default USBC membership -- waste of money for rec bowler?

I've been thinking about joining the USBC. The problem is, I don't really bowl in a league, and I don't really bowl tournaments. So it almost seems like a waste of money.

Though if things change, and I get better and some better equipment (I'm fighting a thumb blister problem right now, no way I could bowl a full tourney), I might actually want to bowl in a tournament or two near where I live.

So if I'm just a rec bowler, should I even consider joining USBC? I know the choice is ultimately mine, but it's good to get other's opinions.

If you're only going to do open bowling, I wouldn't join.

If you do join a league and that league is USBC sanctioned, you can join the day/night it starts. And if you want to participate in any sanctioned tournament you have to be a member of the USBC.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

As Vegas said if all your doing is open bowling, you don't need to join.

You only need a membership if your bowling in a USBC sanctioned league or tournament.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

If you think that you may want to eventually try bowling in tournaments you will need to join a USBC certified league at least a couple months before entering any tournament in order to establish a average.

The USBC tends to do a poor job of communicating its value to the sport and to its members. Even non-certified leagues benefit by "borrowing" long established USBC rules for their leagues. In just my local bowling center, over 460 man-hours will be spent by volunteers coaching youth leagues during a 32 week long season. The USBC, through USA Bowling, provides free training for level one coaches.

It's very easy, especially for those of us who have been in this sport for a while, to criticize the USBC. If we want it to be better, we need to get involved at the local level and help, rather than sitting back and saying it did something stupid again.
    John

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

John pretty much nailed it. He even said "Certify" rather than sanction like we did a decade ago. You will all agree that one of the major problems many league and tournament bowlers whine about is sandbagging Wait until more and more leagues stop certifying and now one is able to check averages. Wait until the rules are broken and you need help settling a dispute.
    They raised the rates this year and I can already hear the league bowlers screaming. Our local went up $2 and the National went up $3 so now I have to explain how it is still worth it. Especially to the bowlers who have previously won 3 and 8 hundred rings. They forget that for years they would get a ring for 300, 800 and 11 in a row every year. They bowlers who paid for those rings didn't gripe just paid every year. Now the shoe is on the other foot and listen to the high avg. bowlers whine.
    Sorry forgot to say if you don't bowl in a league or tournament don't CERTITY!

I personally dont have a membership, however I have been just getting back into bowling. Now that my average has settled and my scores are alot closer I have decided to try some leagues, so I of course will be joining now. I personally wouldnt recommend it until you get to where you want to league bowl or compete in any form.
    Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com

I am a proud winner of a Bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer

There is no way i would pay the membership fee!

Bowler

Useless if the house doesn't submit your membership and avg to the local usbc. When I called to find out why my avf wasn't there first my name was spelled wrong...still not corrected and my alley only submitted 3 of it's dozen summer leagues.

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by manke View Post
    There is no way i would pay the membership fee!
    Check out bowl.com Dan someone is using your name and has a membership.

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by Albundy View Post
    Useless if the house doesn't submit your membership and avg to the local usbc. When I called to find out why my avf wasn't there first my name was spelled wrong...still not corrected and my alley only submitted 3 of it's dozen summer leagues.
    Why is it USBC's fault the center spelled your name wrong or didn't turn in the league data? Maybe you should call USBC directly and ask to get your name corrected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast