Thread: Odd Oil Track - Should I Be Concerned?

Question Odd Oil Track - Should I Be Concerned?

Some background...

-I'm a right-handed, two-handed bowler styled closely after Belmonte.
    -I use my index finger and middle finger due to a debilitating injury to my ring finger.
    -I've been bowling now for only about 8 months.
    -None of my balls have been drilled to my specific release. They've all been given a general drilling template or are a used ball previously drilled with a pretty standard looking layout.

Let me know if other details are needed.

When I finally started paying attention to the oil track on my ball to approximate my PAP I noticed it was completely different then what I expected based on researched information. Here is what it looks close to. Red and Blue tracks are to show differences I see depending on ball and how I release (still working on two different hand positions to create revolutions).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...2RpTWEyZUZQVUE

Is there any reason I should be worrying about this? Is it likely just due to not having the ball drilled to my release? When I find my path to the pocket and hit my target, it is usually very consistent. So does it really matter? I realize hook shape and flare potential are likely effected but beyond that should I be worried if I can remain consistent?

Also, when I release, it appears to me the ball is doing what I would consider a normal rotation direction. It rotates counter-clockwise toward the forward left.
    Last edited by Mcygee; 03-06-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Mcygee View Post
    Some background...

-I'm a right-handed, two-handed bowler styled closely after Belmonte.
    -I use my index finger and middle finger due to a debilitating injury to my ring finger.
    -I've been bowling now for only about 8 months.
    -None of my balls have been drilled to my specific release. They've all been given a general drilling template or are a used ball previously drilled with a pretty standard looking layout.

Let me know if other details are needed.

When I finally started paying attention to the oil track on my ball to approximate my PAP I noticed it was completely different then what I expected based on researched information. Here is what it looks close to. Red and Blue tracks are to show differences I see depending on ball and how I release (still working on two different hand positions to create revolutions).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...2RpTWEyZUZQVUE

Is there any reason I should be worrying about this? Is it likely just due to not having the ball drilled to my release? When I find my path to the pocket and hit my target, it is usually very consistent. So does it really matter? I realize hook shape and flare potential are likely effected but beyond that should I be worried if I can remain consistent?

Also, when I release, it appears to me the ball is doing what I would consider a normal rotation direction. It rotates counter-clockwise toward the forward left.
    My guess is that the cause is using your index and middle fingers instead of middle and ring fingers. sometimes when a ball is rolled over one of the finger holes or the thumb hole it can cause the ball to start cracking around the affected hole.

Part of me says if it's not damaging the ball and you're getting a consistent hook out of it, it doesn't matter. The other part of my brain thinks that with that odd a track, you're not getting the performance that you should out of the ball.
    John

I can't open the picture. Can someone be so kind to repost so I can see?

Thanks
    Current arsenal:
    Motiv Trident Motiv Jackal Ghost RG No Rules RG DareDevil
    C300 Impulse Hammer Black Urethane

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by KYDave View Post
    I can't open the picture. Can someone be so kind to repost so I can see?

Thanks

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Thanks 1820

Wow that is odd for sure.

Only times I have seen tracks like that is when someone turns their hand on the upswing.

I wouldn't like rolling over the finger hole at all. At a minimum I would bevel the finger holes. Having a sharp edge and rolling over could cause a stress point and possible cracking I would think.
    Current arsenal:
    Motiv Trident Motiv Jackal Ghost RG No Rules RG DareDevil
    C300 Impulse Hammer Black Urethane

Thanks for the tips guys. I really like the idea of beveling the finger holes. The area between and above my Storm Rocket's finger holes completely disintegrated and my Hy-Road Pearl's finger holes began to get chips around the finger holes as well. Sounds like your thoughts on that are spot on.