Thread: Bowler using the one step drill to bowl league

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Bowler using the one step drill to bowl league

I thought this would be interesting.

This man bowls on the same league I do and he uses the one step drill to actually bowl.

He does pretty good at it,He's shot some 600's and several deuces and averages in the 180's.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

for those that don't know, this is the one step drill.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

This guy takes an un-godly amount of time on the approach

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Would you rather wait 19 seconds for this guy to throw a strike, or have a teammate who flings the ball one second after picking it up in the general direction of his target, and then waiting for the pinsetter to cycle so he can make another hurried attempt at making a spare?

I admit that generally it's not a good idea to take too long in your stance before starting your approach. How long it takes to get set up and focused is going to be slightly different for every bowler. It might even vary for one bowler from one day to another, or even one game to the next. This time frame seems to wotk for this particular bowler. If I were his coach or teammate, I would not try to speed him up unless he takes an equally long time to pick the ball up and get set up or his scores go steadily down hill for holding the ball so long.
    John

I would gladly take him over several guys I bowl against, they take more time by far than he takes ! I swear if the one guy stood the same amount of time outside as he does on the lane, birds would be roosting on him.

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Would you rather wait 19 seconds for this guy to throw a strike, or have a teammate who flings the ball one second after picking it up in the general direction of his target, and then waiting for the pinsetter to cycle so he can make another hurried attempt at making a spare?

I admit that generally it's not a good idea to take too long in your stance before starting your approach. How long it takes to get set up and focused is going to be slightly different for every bowler. It might even vary for one bowler from one day to another, or even one game to the next. This time frame seems to wotk for this particular bowler. If I were his coach or teammate, I would not try to speed him up unless he takes an equally long time to pick the ball up and get set up or his scores go steadily down hill for holding the ball so long.
    I'd rather not wait that long for anything, strike or not. But that's just me. You talk like there are only two speeds, slow like a sloth or hurried like a cheetah. There is a middle ground.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I've bowled next him many times, I've never thought of him being a long time on the approach. I think it was just that particular shot.

A shot clock time is usually set for 30 sec so he was under that.

I think in league there are more bowlers that are in too much of a rush to make their shot, than the ones going too slow. Too many times i've turned around to walk off the approach and seen someone shoot pass me making their shot, they didn't even wait for me to get off the approach.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-09-2017 at 05:27 PM.

I have never seen that.

I've tried the 1 step drill in practice and could never get it. Well not yet anyway. It feels so awkward and so off balance. I think my brain says- easy there turbo. what are you doing at the line so soon. I even tried backing way off the foul line and was still weird. I guess I just have to trust it.

About the amount of time on approach, I never even noticed it to be long until it was mentioned. I don't think it is bad, Ive seen much worse for sure.
    Current arsenal:
    Motiv Trident Motiv Jackal Ghost RG No Rules RG DareDevil
    C300 Impulse Hammer Black Urethane

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I'd rather not wait that long for anything, strike or not. But that's just me. You talk like there are only two speeds, slow like a sloth or hurried like a cheetah. There is a middle ground.
    I didn't mean to give the impression that there are only two speeds. While the pros are allowed 25 or 30 seconds, very few of the ones that make the finals take any where near the limit. I personally think that most amateurs would be better off taking less than 10 seconds after setting their feet. However since I mostly coach kids, my challenge is usually to get them fully stop and focus on their target.
    John

Chats: 55

My tournament partner is over 70 and he uses a one-step. Averages about 160. In my morning league we have several older people with very short, one-step, and even no steps - BUT at least they are bowling and enjoying it!

As far as time on the approach - I swear my husband is r - e - a - l -l - y sloooooooooooooow. A few people complain to me and I just tell them to talk to him - they don't, he's intimidating...6'6"/240 lbs retired law enforcement.

But I agree, would rather someone take their time than to rush and miss. Sometimes I get in a hurry to get out of someone's way and don't focus like I should.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150