Thread: Should focus change during league/qualifying/match play?

Chats: 0

Default Should focus change during league/qualifying/match play?

Over the past few months of tournaments I've noticed that my focus changes pretty distinctly depending on whether I'm bowling league, a tournament qualifying, or match play. League is obviously pretty relaxed, trying to do well but mostly just having fun.

During tournament qualifying I'm a bit more focused on execution, shot shape, ball reaction, and reading lanes, but knowing that it's a longer format (generally) I'm looking at more of the big picture.

In match play I am laser focused. Typically in match play I know exactly what the result will be off my hand, and I tend to know exactly what went wrong if I don't strike.

The question is, should one strive to be laser focused like this during every shot no matter what, or is that just not possible and potentially detrimental in the long run? Can you mentally burn yourself out by trying to be "on" all the time?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Over the past few months of tournaments I've noticed that my focus changes pretty distinctly depending on whether I'm bowling league, a tournament qualifying, or match play. League is obviously pretty relaxed, trying to do well but mostly just having fun.

During tournament qualifying I'm a bit more focused on execution, shot shape, ball reaction, and reading lanes, but knowing that it's a longer format (generally) I'm looking at more of the big picture.

In match play I am laser focused. Typically in match play I know exactly what the result will be off my hand, and I tend to know exactly what went wrong if I don't strike.

The question is, should one strive to be laser focused like this during every shot no matter what, or is that just not possible and potentially detrimental in the long run? Can you mentally burn yourself out by trying to be "on" all the time?
    Someone could probably write a psychology thesis paper on this question.

Each bowler has an optimum stress level for performing well. We all know people who look like they're one step from the PBA in practice, but can't hit the broad side of a barn under pressure. Then you have those who seem to kick things up a notch the second that there's money or pride on the line.

I think it might be possible to mentally burn out if you try to be focused all the time, especially in a tournament where you're bowling 5-6 straight games. You really only need to focus for a minute or two before getting on the approach to plan your shot, a shift to "execution mode", where the focus is just on the line you're playing and letting your body execute the delivery. There is another shift to observing the shot and spending a moment analysing it. While in a singles or doubles event it probably doesn't make sense to try to really relax in the time between frames, there would definetly be time to do so in a team event.
    John