Thread: RH Bowler Learning how to bowl LH

Lightbulb RH Bowler Learning how to bowl LH

I am a decent bowler, I have an average of 207 in league play but that is my Right hand.

Recently I have had surgery on my right hand, so I have been practicing Left Handed and Right Handed since about January 1, 2017. And for the past 3 or 4 weeks I have been strictly Left handed since my surgery.

Obviously I have an idea on how to bowl, but I am technically starting over, I grew up bowling, and I was a natural, even back in the early 90's I was averaging 186 as a youth, so even when I took several years off, I could almost always bowl a 200 game when I went out with my friends. I never had any formal training until 2016, so it was mostly self taught.

But bowling Left handed is a definite change, I have my footwork down to where I do not start on the wrong foot, I have my timing reasonably down, but getting to the point of feeling comfortable has been the biggest hurdle. I am averaging around 133, I have had a few 170 games a 182 game, so it is coming slowly.

The purpose of this is to ask, what would you work on first, second, third etc. I have a Left handed Ball (a Storm Victory Road) and a poly spare ball. Is there a hierarchy of what is important and less important for the bowling swings?

The biggest issues I had when I switched and bowled left handed for a couple of seasons was first getting used to the footwork and second taking a full arm swing, for a time when I first started as a lefty I would take a shorter back swing and then not follow through.
    Once I bowled a few dozen games I got to where I could do the full swing. Also I went into this like you because of injury but I am ambidextrous playing several sports naturally left handed so I have a slight advantage over a few of the other guys I know who have done the same thing. I bowl with a guy who switched to left this year and he was a 210 to 220 avg right handed, he is doing quite well and is up to the 170's lefty.

When the SST 8's first got to the market, I switched soles/heels to bowl left handed for fun. Plus, I have history of injury to my right hand and wrist due to another "sport" I did for 20 yrs. or so.

Anyway, It felt weird at first and threw the first few balls in the channel. Then I kinda took it serious and started from the foul line first. Post up drill, one step drill, and worked my way to the back of the approach. My right leg was sore and needed more "training" or getting used to the minimal slide. I slide a few inches with my left foot, but with my right foot I planted. That planting made my quad and knee sore. Sliding with my right foot I felt unstable for a while.

I practice my approach in the garage and anywhere I could lol. The parking lot, the store, work, in the hallway at home, just so I can get used to planting my foot and the timing of everything. With in a month I shot 200 even. The biggest issue I had was trying not to hook the ball (I was topping the ball) and spare shooting. Also, any single pin standing I felt like I was walking on a tight rope. Visually it was very different for me for a while.

I must say this though, the left side seems more difficult to find a consistent spot down lane. Maybe it's me, but I get a lot of over under. And if the friction is near the twig, I'm done. ON the right I used to ride the twig and parts of the be hanging off the edge before making a left turn.

lastly, IMO, if the person learning to switch hands isn't athletic or coordinated, it can be difficult to learn to bowl the opposite hand. I'm a true right handed person, but training in another sport for two decades and also other organized sports where our coaches let us do drills with the opposite side, helped me to feel comfortable bowling left handed. I haven't done it for a long while, but may try it again this weekend. Maybe even bowl summer league. and I could write left handed too, teacher made us do it... .good for the brain lol
    Last edited by fokai73; 03-10-2017 at 01:58 PM.
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by okfoz View Post
    But bowling Left handed is a definite change, I have my footwork down to where I do not start on the wrong foot, I have my timing reasonably down, but getting to the point of feeling comfortable has been the biggest hurdle. I am averaging around 133, I have had a few 170 games a 182 game, so it is coming slowly.

The purpose of this is to ask, what would you work on first, second, third etc. I have a Left handed Ball (a Storm Victory Road) and a poly spare ball. Is there a hierarchy of what is important and less important for the bowling swings?
    I have a similar story to what you are going through. I am also now a USBC certified coach and so I would like to answer both what I did, and what my thoughts are as a coach.

In 2008, anticipating surgery on my right hand that would preclude me from doing much more than picking up a pen or pencil, I decided to try bowling left handed. For moral support, the first attempt was made with my friend Jeff along for moral support as well as insight into the conversion experience. Jeff is both a Lutheran pastor and left-handed bowler who started off right-handed. By the end of the session I had confidence that I could do it. After starting with 8 gutter balls in the first 5 frames, I was not only keeping the ball on the lane but making some spares. I picked up the one step drill and the kneeling release drill from watching Norm Duke videos. I would practice the release drill at home rolling the ball into a cushion place below a full length mirror.

As a coach, even though the recommended sequence for new bowlers is no-step staggered stance, one step, then four step, I would focus on footwork first because bad footwork can have a big effect on both swing and timing. Plus it's one of those things you can work on anywhere there's 15' of open space and some sort of a straight reference line. The next thing would be the swing. The Eileen's swing trainer is a great tool. Swinging a ball in a sling or see-saw,or even a soup can in a sock or shopping bag will work giving you a feel for when the swing is in plane. I like to do it in front of a mirror to get both visual and tactile feedback. After that I would recommend the one step drill for getting that sense of when the ball is at the peak of the back swing and just letting it fall. Lastly I would work on the release.

Good luck. I am at the point now where I can bowl equally bad with either hand.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I have a similar story to what you are going through. I am also now a USBC certified coach and so I would like to answer both what I did, and what my thoughts are as a coach.

In 2008, anticipating surgery on my right hand that would preclude me from doing much more than picking up a pen or pencil, I decided to try bowling left handed. For moral support, the first attempt was made with my friend Jeff along for moral support as well as insight into the conversion experience. Jeff is both a Lutheran pastor and left-handed bowler who started off right-handed. By the end of the session I had confidence that I could do it. After starting with 8 gutter balls in the first 5 frames, I was not only keeping the ball on the lane but making some spares. I picked up the one step drill and the kneeling release drill from watching Norm Duke videos. I would practice the release drill at home rolling the ball into a cushion place below a full length mirror.

As a coach, even though the recommended sequence for new bowlers is no-step staggered stance, one step, then four step, I would focus on footwork first because bad footwork can have a big effect on both swing and timing. Plus it's one of those things you can work on anywhere there's 15' of open space and some sort of a straight reference line. The next thing would be the swing. The Eileen's swing trainer is a great tool. Swinging a ball in a sling or see-saw,or even a soup can in a sock or shopping bag will work giving you a feel for when the swing is in plane. I like to do it in front of a mirror to get both visual and tactile feedback. After that I would recommend the one step drill for getting that sense of when the ball is at the peak of the back swing and just letting it fall. Lastly I would work on the release.

Good luck. I am at the point now where I can bowl equally bad with either hand.

LOL that's why the parking lot and tiles on the floor are great place to work on footwork.

I should add too... doing post up drills and swing the ball back and forth, I did not have the leg strength to keep my upper body stable. Also, my back swing was much shorter, just under the shoulder.

I'm really eager now to try and see if I can bowl left handed after this post. would bowling with my boys 14 lbs be okay if I use 15? Sorry OP not trying to hijack your thread.
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    LOL that's why the parking lot and tiles on the floor are great place to work on footwork.

I should add too... doing post up drills and swing the ball back and forth, I did not have the leg strength to keep my upper body stable. Also, my back swing was much shorter, just under the shoulder.

I'm really eager now to try and see if I can bowl left handed after this post. would bowling with my boys 14 lbs be okay if I use 15? Sorry OP not trying to hijack your thread.
    I think that people who switch to the opposite hand feel like they have to control the ball and subconsciously stop their arm from making a full back swing.

I think the main concern with using your son's ball would be that the grip fits. The weight difference shouldn't matter since it's your other hand which may not be as strong as your right.
    John

Thank you for your advice, It have been working on it and since my last post, I am now about 142 average over the past 10 practice sessions

Spares are the worst, what came almost naturally Right handed and almost automatic, has been almost a disaster Left handed. One of my personal challenges is I am Left eye dominant, when shooting for spares right handed I had this method for calculating my hook based on the marks, Line up my target with the 3rd arrow with my eyes, aim for the 2nd arrow, and it hit every time, turning this around does not work for some reason. Sometimes I must admit that bowling left handed feels like I am throwing darts blindfolded. Other days I can do what I want. I still throw a ball in the ditch, usually it is me dropping the ball... I have yet to figure out the mental game, as I will bowl and get to where I do really well one game, say 189 ( new personal best LH) only 100 pins (and 9 strikes) behind my RH personal best!

I have the footwork down pretty well at this point, I no longer try to start with the wrong foot, but I want to rush to the line too often so I yank it to the Right. When I simply walk to the line, and drop the ball on the target dot is when I seem do my best.

Anyone wanting to spice up their life, try bowling off hand for a while.

Thanks again, any more advise will not go unwelcome.

John

Cranker
    Chats: 0

may I ask if you had a ball drilled for the lefty shots or do you use the same ball. Probably a dumb question..lol
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    may I ask if you had a ball drilled for the lefty shots or do you use the same ball. Probably a dumb question..lol
    The OP mentioned he had a ball drilled up for a lefty. Even if you could get your hand in the ball, the drilling would be backwards and the ball would want to turn in the original direction it was drilled to turn. The exception being a plastic ball where it wouldn't matter. All the guys I've known that did this either bought a different ball or had one plugged and re-drilled. Good question

Yes, I was fortunate enough for my Ball driller to have an extra 14# ball that was used, he plugged it and drilled the ball for Lefty. The layout was straight up (not off to one side) so it would work either way. Honestly it flips pretty hard, but I am getting used to it, I am glad I am not going the other way because the lane transition would suck with as hard as it wants to hook. I also purchased a 14# spare plastic ball, without that I would be lost on the 7 pin, and some other spares.

I have used an old Right hand ball left handed and It actually still hooks pretty nicely, Because it is a RH drill pattern, it kind of fights its way into the hook but it is a smoother arc, I used it a few times, and honestly I like practicing with it.

To be all fair, I have been practicing lefty a lot, I am usually bowling 3 games for league, and then 3 games either 3 or 4 times more each week. Just to brag. I bowled my very first 500 left handed last night, it was as rewarding as bowling a 700 Right handed. So it is coming along.