Thread: Sore fingers

Chats: 0

Unhappy Sore fingers

Has anyone had issues with pain in your bowling fingers? I have been getting pain in the knuckle areas of both. I bowl two times a week and maybe two or three practice games in between. It is hard to describe, it is kind of an ache and I do notice it at night while trying to sleep. Thanks for any replies!

Brian in MI

I had some issues with my ring finger around the first knuckle earlier this year. Aside from taking time off, which is the best option... I took naproxen for a couple of weeks daily and iced it after bowling. The naproxen took the swelling down and it healed up on it's own.

There are different causes of pain you are having. Where exactly is your pain? Finger joins has 3 joint areas, below the finger nail, middle, and at the base of the fingers.

Having the wrong span can cause pain over time. Age/health, having arthritis is another.

Have a PSO take a look at your fit/grip.

Lancer, I've had issues with my middle and ring fingers. I visited my PSO and he recommended that we try changing the pitch of the fingers to away from the palm (reverse pitch). I think we went with 3/8ths reverse and it's been pretty darn good. Bought a gizmo called Steel Fingers and it works pretty well, but I can do without it. Now that I'm increasing my ability to stay behind the ball I'm using my fingers more and more. As a result I began to develop some callous on my index finger. So I've gone to wrapping the tip of my finger with protective tape NT50 from Vise. It's helped keep the callous build up. Of course, I use protective tape on my thumb, too.
    Finger have no pain whatsoever now...

We need to know if you're throwing a fingertip drilled ball or conventional grip. Each drilling can cause various pains.

After 3 games my hand would really hurt. Had my span and pitches checked and found my span was too long and my finger pitches needed to be reversed a little. No problems now. As I was getting older I was losing flexibility in my finger tips. Can bowl as much as I want now with no hand pain.

Thanks for all the replies! I throw a full fingertip ball and the pain has been in the lower knuckles.

Brian

Pain in the fingers or thumb will usually end up being a span problem or wrong finger pitches for your type of release. These can all be good but you might have a bad release like spinning the ball by coming up the side to make it hook.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.