Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Footwork

Default Footwork

Senior re entry bowler here. 5'4". My coach moved me forward towards the foul line, as I was coming up short of the line. If I walk back from the line, and take my 4 1/2 steps,pivot and turn towards the foul line, I'm still in front of the forward dots. Maybe 2 foot lengths (measured toe to heel). This seems to help, but the problem is that I have no marked spot to find.
    I am using the 3rd dowel from the forward dots on board 20, which is to my left...as a mark. Left foot is on 10, trying to cross over the 2nd arrow.
    Then I went to another house,with no dowel that I could find. So I did the foul line "walk back". Kinda frustrating, to say the least.
    Anyone have any ideas, that might help? Maybe take longer strides after my crossover, and increase foot speed to get to the line in 4 steps, so I don't come up too short? Try a 5 step approach?
    Starting at the forward dots, I would say I came up about one foot length from the foul line at release. Size 8 shoe.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Double C View Post
    I'm still in front of the forward dots. Maybe 2 foot lengths (measured toe to heel). This seems to help, but the problem is that I have no marked spot to find.
    Since you know you need to be "2 foot lengths (measured toe to heel)" forward of the dots, You don't need a "spot" or a foul line "walk back" every time .

When you get up to make your shot, Just measure 2 foot lengths past the dots on the board you want to stand on and your there.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-16-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I stand about the same place on the lane, what I do is step up to the second set of dots at the board I want my left foot to start on, standing with my right foot heel at the dots, then slide my left foot up staying in line with the board. Essentially then you are using your foot to measure the correct distance to move forward of the dots. For me 2' is two shoe lengths since I wear size 12 shoes, for a size 8 shoe it's close to 3 shoe lengths. For you until you get used to it slide your left foot up until the heel is even with the toe of right foot, then move right forward until they are even, then slide left up until the left heel is even with right toe, this will be 24" make slight adjustment and measure with your feet like that until you get a good gauge if the distance then you will just be able to slid the left up 2 shoe lengths without moving the right foot to measure.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I stand about the same place on the lane, what I do is step up to the second set of dots at the board I want my left foot to start on, standing with my right foot heel at the dots, then slide my left foot up staying in line with the board. Essentially then you are using your foot to measure the correct distance to move forward of the dots. For me 2' is two shoe lengths since I wear size 12 shoes, for a size 8 shoe it's close to 3 shoe lengths. For you until you get used to it slide your left foot up until the heel is even with the toe of right foot, then move right forward until they are even, then slide left up until the left heel is even with right toe, this will be 24" make slight adjustment and measure with your feet like that until you get a good gauge if the distance then you will just be able to slid the left up 2 shoe lengths without moving the right foot to measure.
    My size 9 Dexter SST8s are 11 3/4 inches long. My other pair of size 9 bowling shoes are 11 3/8 inches. If The original poster just mves up two shoe lengths it's probably close enough.
    John

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

I never realized that shoe size determined where you started on the approach. Seems leg length would matter more. Or what is comfortable for you.

Chats: 0

I am doing the same as Tony. Lineup at the forward dots, then slide a foot and a half forward on that line with my slide foot. Then set forward with the push off foot and get into my starting position.

Chats: 2

I'm on the shorter side myself with a 5 step approach. I used to start with my toes at the front dots, but kept finishing way short of the line. I have since slid up to where my heel in on the front set of dot's instead. With a 4 step, I would imagine if you put your heel on the front set of dots, then slid up another 6-8", you could figure it out. I still finish a good 4-5" from the foul line, which is where I feel comfortable at. Just figure out a method for what works for you and repeat it until comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    I never realized that shoe size determined where you started on the approach. Seems leg length would matter more. Or what is comfortable for you.
    It doesn't determine where I start, it just is a quick accurate measurement to duplicate the correct starting spot when the starting spot is in no mans land.

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    My size 9 Dexter SST8s are 11 3/4 inches long. My other pair of size 9 bowling shoes are 11 3/8 inches. If The original poster just mves up two shoe lengths it's probably close enough.
    Sure that would work, in my mind the important part is to enable yourself to duplicate the starting spot distance from the foul line. I never actually measured my bowling shoes....

Thanks,to all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast