Thread: That darn thumb!

Default That darn thumb!

Still having inconsistent release issues. Mainly the thumb not exiting first.
    I've read it's an early release, my thumb exiting over the foul line. I hold the ball in my palm, with the thumb at 3 o'clock. It's a fingertip, which I like. I bowled a strike on 3 consecutive frames..no issues. Never felt the fingers exit.
    I'm not rotating the hand for hook, just trying to let the ball roll off my finger tips.
    Then the next 3 frames were garbage. Thumb hanging up,some subconscious thing where I try to rotate my hand, to hook and finish with some weird swipe coming across my face...and watch the ball dive into the right gutter.
    This bowling stuff...is hard! LOL.

As you are new to bowling, you should really consider finding a qualified coach so you can start out correctly. Timing is the result of a complex string of motions that lead up to the release. You can't just concentrate on getting your thumb out first without first addressing all of these other motions. A qualified coach can easily fix this and get you started out right.

Yes...,I have been working with one. I guess I'm just impatient!