Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This ball is just not right for me - what next?

Chats: 0

Well, I took the advice of one person here and got a second opinion. Was told the ball was not drilled the way it was meant to be drilled. Resurfaced it and put in a balancing hole. (No charge) Ball is somewhat better but I need a little more time to make certain of it. It performed well in league last Wed except for the last game when I could not figure out what adjustment to make. My son says I should have been moving left when I moved right. I pretty much agreed with that. It was the same conclusion I came to as I went home that night. Bowl again in league today, will see what happens.

Thanks for all the input. Hate to think I spent the money foolishly but it happens.

Chats: 256

I have certainly purchased my share of duds over the course of the last several years. But, the absolutely perfect ones outweigh those.

Did you take to original shop? I am always hesitant to do that. Seems shops, like many businesses, take any chance to bash another.

Surface and weight hole might be enough for you. Might need to experiment with position of said hole to get reaction and look you want to dial it in.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 1

What size was the balance hole and where did they put it in relation to your PAP?

Thank you all for your input. After seeing me bowl with this ball both before and after the changes my favorite coach agrees with me that this ball was never right for me and probably never will be. It just won't work the way I need it to. It can work to a limited extent on some alley conditions so I will probably keep it, but will be looking for something different for everyday bowling. These are the lessons we learn even as we try to not screw things up.

Just curious, I didn't see the ball mentioned, what ball is it ?

The new ball is a Vandal Smash 14 lb. I bowled today with my son's old ball - with drilling not modified for me. It is a 15 lb sync. I did better with that ball than the Smash. I think it is the core that I cannot get used to . The core is asymmetrical and I have never bowled with an asymmetrical ball before. I don't think I want to spend the time at this point to learn the finer points of it as I am very upset I let myself "save" a little money by getting this ball. Son's new ball of course is a Timeless, which he loves, and deserves. He is bowling well with it and says it feels better than any other ball he has owned. He is 35 years younger than me. He deserves it. I am on the hunt for a new ball although I don't want to spend the money.

Quote Originally Posted by taxexpert2 View Post
    The new ball is a Vandal Smash 14 lb. I bowled today with my son's old ball - with drilling not modified for me. It is a 15 lb sync. I did better with that ball than the Smash. I think it is the core that I cannot get used to . The core is asymmetrical and I have never bowled with an asymmetrical ball before. I don't think I want to spend the time at this point to learn the finer points of it as I am very upset I let myself "save" a little money by getting this ball. Son's new ball of course is a Timeless, which he loves, and deserves. He is bowling well with it and says it feels better than any other ball he has owned. He is 35 years younger than me. He deserves it. I am on the hunt for a new ball although I don't want to spend the money.
    Maybe you can sell or trade it and recover some of the cost, it can happen with anyone and with any ball, one of my buddies just got a Timeless and a Hustle, hates the Timeless and loves the Hustle, when we were talking about how similar the Timeless is to the Hy Road, he said yeah I had one of those too, never really liked it ..... He keeps going back the the Alpha Crux for a strike ball on fresh oil.
    Live and Learn, I gave away a Brunswick Gold Rhino Pro a couple of years ago, my buddy who has it got it out and shot a 278 with it last week....I was inconsistent with it, but I did shoot a 289 with it one day.....

Just made a decision (after looking at where the money is coming from). I am going to get another HyRoad. Going today to get measured up. Pick it up in time for league tomorrow. I am just soooo unhappy with the Vandal Smash I don't even want to bowl any more. It will put this whole episode to rest and I won't be complaining.

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Maybe you can sell or trade it and recover some of the cost, it can happen with anyone and with any ball, one of my buddies just got a Timeless and a Hustle, hates the Timeless and loves the Hustle, when we were talking about how similar the Timeless is to the Hy Road, he said yeah I had one of those too, never really liked it ..... He keeps going back the the Alpha Crux for a strike ball on fresh oil.
    Live and Learn, I gave away a Brunswick Gold Rhino Pro a couple of years ago, my buddy who has it got it out and shot a 278 with it last week....I was inconsistent with it, but I did shoot a 289 with it one day.....
    I've only thrown a few games with my Timeless and I'm not sure if I like it yet or not. I love the way it reads the lanes, but its so aggressive on the back end I just don't think I'll be able to throw it on our 40ft ths without changing the surface, which will get rid of the drive it has on the back end. There will be a time and place that ball comes in handy, just don't know when

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    I've only thrown a few games with my Timeless and I'm not sure if I like it yet or not. I love the way it reads the lanes, but its so aggressive on the back end I just don't think I'll be able to throw it on our 40ft ths without changing the surface, which will get rid of the drive it has on the back end. There will be a time and place that ball comes in handy, just don't know when
    I know a lot of bowlers who are adding a little surface on top of the polish to tame down the backend on the Timeless. It seems to be working for them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast