Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This ball is just not right for me - what next?

The Vandal Smash has a very Low RG, while the HyRoad (and the Timeless) have pretty high RG's. Being that you don't like to change surfaces (I'll NEVER understand that stance), I think that it's pretty important that you try to learn something about cores past just symmetry. There are over 250 current release bowling balls on the market at any given time. It is certainly worth the time and effort it takes to learn what makes them do what they do without any "eenie, meanie, minee, mo" involved!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I know a lot of bowlers who are adding a little surface on top of the polish to tame down the backend on the Timeless. It seems to be working for them.
    I'm not sure what "adding surface on top of the polish" means or how that's done ? Could you please explain ?

Chats: 32

Lightly surface the ball by with a 3k or 4k pad using light pressure
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I know a lot of bowlers who are adding a little surface on top of the polish to tame down the backend on the Timeless. It seems to be working for them.
    I know all about surface changes. I've actually added a bit of polish to it to help it get down lane, while still keeping the same drive on the back end. If I change the surface, it will get rid of the motion I want on the back end. Say, I take it to 4000 grit, it is going to smooth the ball out, and not have that drive on the back end through the pins. Now, if it comes down to it, I'll make the change, but I need to get some more games on it before I make that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Lightly surface the ball by with a 3k or 4k pad using light pressure
    Thanks Amyers!

OK, won't the sanding essentially remove the polish ? It's the "add surface over polish" statement that was confusing.

I've done lots of sanding on cars, wood, and assorted other things and never experienced a situation where the polish survived the sanding .....leading to wondering what the statement meant.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Thanks Amyers!

OK, won't the sanding essentially remove the polish ? It's the "add surface over polish" statement that was confusing.
    Yes that is a confusing statement!

The majority of Polishes in bowling are just liquid abrasives, they are not like a coat of paint or wax that can be layered on or sanded off.

When you apply polish, your just sanding at a finer grit. The only time your adding something is if your using a polish with a slip agent.

So when someone "adds surface over polish" their just dulling a surface they had too smooth to begin with, their not removing a coat of polish.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Yes that is a confusing statement!

The majority of Polishes in bowling are just liquid abrasives, they are not like a coat of paint or wax that can be layered on or sanded off.

When you apply polish, your just sanding at a finer grit. The only time your adding something is if your using a polish with a slip agent.

So when someone "adds surface over polish" their just dulling a surface they had too smooth to begin with, their not removing a coat of polish.
    I was equating it with automotive polishes, they are also abrasives that are used to remove a small amount of paint, and take out scratches, sanding over the top will typically remove the effect of the polish ( I just said remove the polish in my earlier question) and take off a slightly deeper layer of paint or all the paint depending on what's done to the paint surface.
    I guess it's just one of those unique bowling statements that's meaning is relative to bowling and wasn't fully understood by me, thanks for elaborating on the explanation.

Chats: 0

Hy-Road ordered and delivered. VERY VERY much happier with this ball and the way it bowls. Still adjusting to the lower weight, but it does not seem to be forcing me to bowl in a very different way. Perhaps if the Vandal Smash had been drilled properly in the first place it would have been better. Not going to look back on this. The guy who drilled the HyRoad is young and did an excellent job. I am to old to really want to find out about some of the newer symmetry balls but thanks for the suggestion. I am going to keep the Vandal Smash as I think it will have limited use. An expensive lesson. Between my two balls and my son's Timeless it has been an expensive bowling season.

Chats: 204

I had similar problems with both Rotogrip balls I've used: The Asylum and the Defiant Edge. They just didn't work for me.

I've also went to ball demos...and found them generally useless.

And the one thing most PSOs have in common...is they love to blame other PSOs.

In somewhat agreement with RobM on this one. Not so much on the surfacing...that's a temporary fix that requires alot of upkeep...might be better off with a ball that actually "works" for you. That's like changing your approach to match a ball in my opinion. But, I do agree with Rob that there is really no substitute for understanding what the bowling ball specs mean, or at least are supposed to mean. If you have a ball with a 2.48 RG and it's rolling out too early...adding surface to it will cause it to roll out sooner...theoretically.

Now, could you change your line? Change your release? Change your loft? Change your speed? Change your surface? Yeah...but knowing your arsenal and specs...and buying a ball that matches your game is probably easier.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

I had similar problems with both Rotogrip balls I've used: The Asylum and the Defiant Edge. They just didn't work for me.

The Asylum you had was in my opinion poorly laid out. I've never understood why the Defiant Edge didn't work for you. Unfortunately not much to learn there as they are two totally different balls with different purposes other than maybe you shouldn't buy RG balls but they make good equipment so that's not it.

In somewhat agreement with RobM on this one. Not so much on the surfacing...that's a temporary fix that requires alot of upkeep...might be better off with a ball that actually "works" for you.
    I have never understood your take on this. So if you resurface the ball to a different surface you understand that it requires upkeep and maintenance to maintain it but how is the OOB surface any different? I'm guessing somehow the OOB surface on bowling balls is magical and doesn't require the same?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast