Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ball changes

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Default Ball changes

I'm going to ask this, mostly due to my morbid sense of curiosity, and not trying to be a smarty-pants. Should I be changing balls more often? I see guys on here that are bowling the same as me, average-wise, but are going through 2-3 ball changes a night. I've been bowling with the same rock for 5 or 6 months. I'll get on my high horse once in a while and ask why others are making so many changes, but my curiosity also makes me ask if I'd be doing even better if I were making the same moves.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

SandBagger

I started bowling in league today with a ball I hadn't used in months. The first 2 games were fine. I went ahead and used it in the 3rd game when the lane transitioned. The oil on the lane moves down that third game and the ball I was using needs dry. Being lazy and stupid I had a number of great looking pocket hits that left 5-7 and single pins that were not there the first 2 games. My point is that if you have seen good hits and deliveries leave bad results then it is time to change. The pros pick this up earlier and that is why they are pros and we are still amatures.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    I'm going to ask this, mostly due to my morbid sense of curiosity, and not trying to be a smarty-pants. Should I be changing balls more often? I see guys on here that are bowling the same as me, average-wise, but are going through 2-3 ball changes a night. I've been bowling with the same rock for 5 or 6 months. I'll get on my high horse once in a while and ask why others are making so many changes, but my curiosity also makes me ask if I'd be doing even better if I were making the same moves.
    If these guys were averaging 10 to 20 pins more than you I'd say they were onto something and you should follow suit.

Most bowlers seem to change balls so they can stay in their comfort zone. I tend to change only when I can't make the right adjustments to keep the ball hitting the pocket.
    John

Chats: 204

Depends how fast the lanes transition.

From what I understand (minimal)...some lanes, especially older lanes...can transition rather quickly. If you're bowling on those conditions...you're probably going to have to move alot more...or change balls to stay in your comfort zone...depending on your strategy and versatility.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
    I started bowling in league today with a ball I hadn't used in months. The first 2 games were fine. I went ahead and used it in the 3rd game when the lane transitioned. The oil on the lane moves down that third game and the ball I was using needs dry. Being lazy and stupid I had a number of great looking pocket hits that left 5-7 and single pins that were not there the first 2 games. My point is that if you have seen good hits and deliveries leave bad results then it is time to change. The pros pick this up earlier and that is why they are pros and we are still amatures.
    Chuck: The oil doesn't "move down the lane." It is absorbed by every ball that rolls over that line. When the pattern that started out being 40' long burns up at the end from all the balls that are thrown toward the eight board at the far tracer, it soon becomes a 37' pattern at that point. Once this happens, balls that miss the exit point to the right hook early and can't get back to the pocket. They miss right and appear to have hit oil that has moved down the lane. They haven't. They have simply started to hook too early. At the same time, balls that miss slightly left also hook early and dive toward the head pin. This situation does not mean that you can't strike using the same line you have used since the beginning. It means that in order to strike, you have to be perfect in terms of hitting your one board target at the end of the pattern (40'). In order to combat this situation, you have two options: you can either ball down and stay at the same spot (last week Dick Smith switched to urethane and was able to stay put for one more game), or you can move left and use the oil that has been left untouched by all of the house bowlers who think that they are going to be struck down by lightening if they don't play the second arrow (and the eight board at the end of the pattern). It's your choice!

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
    Chuck are you bowling in a mixed league with a bunch of bowlers using plastic and going right down the middle. That would make what you say possible. If it isn't and the others are using reactive the shot changes quick and often.

SandBagger

This was at Gold Coast which RobLV1 knows. It is a very Senior league with all variations of coverstock. I was throwing an UpRoar which is meant for drier conditions. I should have gone to the Melee Hook and moved left a few boards.

Chats: 10

I have the worse time knowing when to switch balls. I always stay with same one too long. At times it works, its striking, I stick with it. But when I'm not, I give it. Are wframes more and then ruin a good game.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

It is very important to watch the ball as it exits the pin deck. When the ball is exiting properly, you'll see it go right between the eight and nine pins. When it starts to deflect toward the nine pin (for a right hander), it's time to move left to find more oil, or ball down to retain more energy for the pins. If you wait until disaster strikes before moving or changing balls, it's often too late: you've already ruined the game.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    It is very important to watch the ball as it exits the pin deck. When the ball is exiting properly, you'll see it go right between the eight and nine pins. When it starts to deflect toward the nine pin (for a right hander), it's time to move left to find more oil, or ball down to retain more energy for the pins. If you wait until disaster strikes before moving or changing balls, it's often too late: you've already ruined the game.
    In the past I've often opted to change balls but recently decided to stay with the same ball and make the move to the left and found I'm having better success with that. My question is what if any indication other than number of bowlers using the same line as I am, or personal preference would dictate the move as opposed to a ball change ? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast