Thread: I have to give more effort towards speed control........

Chats: 0

Default I have to give more effort towards speed control........

I know about different kinds of bowling balls and core weights and lining up on the approach and adjusting surfaces and oil patterns. What gets lost in the shuffle with me is speed control. On league night when I am warming up I am throwing a nice easy swing and release. Once the games start I am throwing a faster ball and wondering why I am not striking. Today in practice in the fourth game I decided to throw and easier and slower swing to see what happens starting with the fourth frame. I knew where to stand on the approach. I slowed down my speed to within 11.00mph to 11.50mph. What happened was strike, strike, strike, strike, strike and strike, strike and a spare. It was so easy. I used the modern release and let the weight of the ball do most of the work uncupping my hand. That was with my urethane Hammer ball. It worked like that with my reactive resin ball although I was standing deeper with that ball. You would think that a ball going that slow would not have the power to destroy the pins. But guess what? It was hard for me to believe it. I will have to remember speed control Saturday on league night.
    Last edited by Hammer; 03-23-2017 at 05:13 PM.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

I've found a very similar correlation and even had the same discussion with a fellow bowler last week, seems like it's a common tendency with people to hurry a little and throw a little faster when getting caught up in the excitement of competition.
    Funny that in my case I'll get going throwing it a little faster than my normal 13.5 and the other guy I was talking to throws at about 15 or 15.5 normally, so it's not really a factor of overall speed, just an increase over your normal easy throwing speed.
    In recent weeks I've paid attention to this and found in nearly every case where my shots were errant, I was leaving splits, washouts or other undesirable spare shots that when I settled down to my normal speed shot the ball was in the pocket and I was back to scoring well.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I've found a very similar correlation and even had the same discussion with a fellow bowler last week, seems like it's a common tendency with people to hurry a little and throw a little faster when getting caught up in the excitement of competition.
    Funny that in my case I'll get going throwing it a little faster than my normal 13.5 and the other guy I was talking to throws at about 15 or 15.5 normally, so it's not really a factor of overall speed, just an increase over your normal easy throwing speed.
    In recent weeks I've paid attention to this and found in nearly every case where my shots were errant, I was leaving splits, washouts or other undesirable spare shots that when I settled down to my normal speed shot the ball was in the pocket and I was back to scoring well.
    That speed of 11.00 to 11.50mph was the speed at the pins. The speed for picking up spares is around 12.50 to 13.00mph at the pins.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Chats: 1

Sounds to me like you are a little speed dominant, at least for the urethane ball, and focusing on a nice smooth release matches your speed and revs up better for that ball.

I'm just wondering. under 12 mph or even 13 mph with a 15lbs ball seems too slow with higher friction all round. The balls today are like snow tires and the condition today are friction full.

An ex teammate of mine threw 16lbs., but as he got older and sicker, his speed went down. He dropped to 15lbs but still had roll outs, deflection, left many corner pins on both sides, and could not stay on the right side of the pocket. So I gave him a clear tire spare ball which he did much better and returned his average to 202. The year before he went as low as 186.

The following year, he's last, that spare ball which was working great for him that one year, started to over hook with his much lower speed from the year before. He was battling cancer. He's speed dropped below 12 mph and that clear spare ball was hooking too much. So we advice him to drop weight to 13 lbs. We got him a storm ball and he's speed magically went from under 12 to 14.5 to 15lbs. he even manage a 205 average the last half of the season. He's carry was much better splitting the 8 9 pins consistently. He had his happy-go-lucky smile again. His last 30 - 40 games he was the happiest I've ever seen him in the few years he was my teammate. Ran shots out, had a skip to his step, and blowing away the young guns. Even shot 740's?? some high series.... it was his last league..... cancer sucks.
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

Best of luck to your teammate. Cancer does indeed suck