Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do various balls really change the way you play?

Chats: 0

Aslan,
    I would like to propose a different way of assessing the ball differences. I would figure out where you need to stand to hit the pocket with the break point near the 5 board, near the 10 board and near the 15 board. Do this on a shot you know pretty well. Then you have an idea how quickly and how strongly the ball responds to friction. On my usual house, I can get good reliable response with my heavy oil ball (Guru) with breakpoints at the 10 and 15, but with my speed, tilt and rotation I can 't get back from the 5 board. That is just too much dry. With my benchmark ball (Ridiculous) I can find good reaction at all, but the 5 is probably best. At the 15 board, this ball risks over hooking if I pull it. My light oil ball (Cyclone) really is outstanding at the 10 board breakpoint but struggles a bit at 5 or 15. At the 5 board it is just too slow to respond to come all the way back well and if i move right it over responds. At the 15 board breakpoint, it at pretty sensitive to misses as well. From this i have an idea of how they play differently and when I would switch. If the Ridiculous is over reacting I know it is that I have longer oil than is good for it. I then can use the Guru which does well in that condition. If it is so dry that I need to be too far left, I can use the Cyclone and gain back a few boards, but i need to also bring my break point towards the headpin a little as well. All of this is relative the breakpoint I find on that lane pair that night. Much of this is also learning when and how the ball is responding to the lane. I have put a piece of tape on the black balls to better see the response to the lane. I do agree that if I rolled each ball to a breakpoint around the 10 board, they all look to be pretty much the same and I only move 4 boards left for the Guru and 3 boards right for the Cyclone. If I had a bit less rotation I expect the difference would be less than that.

Chats: 32

The fact that you could stay in the same spot basically and throw all your balls and hit the pocket isn't surprising welcome to the Modern THS pattern. Was that the optimal spot to throw each of those balls from I doubt it.

You haven't really mentioned your break point in this and it's very important. Their are two methods of moving in tightening your line which involves shifting the break point left as you move or keeping your break point and moving left with your feet. 1-1 moves shift the break point left, 2-1 moves keep it the same, 3-1 moves shift the target right.

When you move left make 3-1 moves left. If your missing right only make 1-1 right. if the ball hits the pocket in it or flush continue moving 3-1 left until it's light in the pocket then move 1-1 right you now have miss room to the right. You maybe very surprised how far left you move

Chats: 32

One other thing maybe this is old school but it might help. As you move inside most bowlers hands come around the ball more naturally that may not be happening with you your brain maybe unconsciously suppressing that. Try moving the pinky in to against your ring finger as you move in deeper this allowed the hand to come around the ball more and might let your brain believe that it's ok to do so since the hand is in a different position

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

LOL,,,, Magically turned into Walter Pigeon more like it! LOL Rob,,, go easy on Aslan! Your beginning to sound like: Rob vs Mike White! Now that I am a god, (as written on bowlingboards.com) Not my opinion, belief, or judgment,,,,,,,,,just shown by my user name, (Michael), for everyone knows I am Iceman! Rob,,, love is what this world needs a lot more of, not ridicule, and sarcasm! Now that I am a God, I can get inside mortals minds, and know what they are thinking in regards to bowling! Yes, being a bowlingboard.com GOD, I can ONLY hear the thoughts that relate to bowling! (Very complicated, and I don't have the time to explain JUST HOW it all works)! What I know about Aslan, is that he is a Good guy, but,,, BUT SPECIAL when it comes to bowling, (if you know what I mean Rob?) So in the future, if you reach the position of GOD, be more positive with guys that bowl with special needs, of "The Non-Lady type. I like Aslan IN a SPEICAL sorta of way! I think his needs might just be beyond that of a GOD to fix,,, but then what do I know, I am just a god myself!!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 204

Buut....Ice....I AM a bowling God.

While you definitely have more 300s and now an 800...I believe your unibomber/Henry David Thoreau impression...or alien abduction...has left your post count a bit "lacking"...in terms of how the site measures "Gods".

But yes, I agree...RobM has gotten a bit "annoyed" with me as of late. I definitely am NOT at the MWhite level of annoyance....because I don't "chase him" from thread to thread...I just post here and there...he's welcome to respond (or not) as he sees fit. Like I said, as much as RobM and MWhite were "oil and water"...alot of that was that they both had an almost overwhelming need to be "right". And when someone says, "I think you're wrong about that."....it upsets them quite a bit.

Ironically, that's how RobM and I first started interacting and how I started taking lessons from him. We disagreed on the boards and he wanted to "show me" that I was wrong. And, in fairness, he did...on many things and notions I had. But, as my questions/disagreements have become more "legitimate"...I think it's annoying him more. That's fine...I have always spoken highly of Mr. M. and will continue to do so. I definitely value his advice and coaching over the years and like his attention to bowling ball technology...which is lacking a great deal in the overall industry. Those are things I doubt MWhite would ever say...so I don't think I'm in danger of another "Should we ban Aslan" poll.

But...back to the post...I like JJKing's strategy....I may have to try that in practice. Thanks to Amyers as well...interesting thoughts.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12