Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good morning from a total beginner

Default Good morning from a total beginner

Hey everyone!

I'm brand new to the hobby. I went bowling for the first time in probably 10 years this past summer. Since then I've been about 8 times, and finally decided I want to learn how to properly bowl. This past week, I picked up my first ball (Ebonite Cyclone) and had it drilled finger tip. I'm trying to get the grip down, but I think the thumb hole needs some slight adjusting.

So what is your best advice for someone brand new to the hobby? I cant hook, shoot spares consistently, and don't know what I'm doing. That said I'm excited to learn!

Chats: 10

Welcome. I was in your shoes 4 years agar after someone in my work asked me to join a league. Had no shoes, no ball, couldn't hook the ball, barely get 100 pins a game. Four years later, I'm averaging 200. A lot of practice and learning from these boards have helped a lot. Biggest piece of advice, have fun! With summer coming, I suggest if you live by a Brunswick zone is to get their summer games pass where you get 3 games a day every day for about two months for $35. Key part to get your score up is making spares. Good luck.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Thanks for the encouragement! I actually just bought my wife and I the summer pass, May 22 can't come soon enough. Hopefully I've got some of the basics down by that points.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Welcome to the site!!

Chats: 1

My advice would be to read as many technical threads on here as you can along with watching YouTube coaching and release videos. Just take everything with a grain of salt and try different things to get a good feel for what you are doing and what changes feel like. I'm new to bowling seriously myself and each time I bowl I see and feel something new, which can be a little frustrating too, but it is a process.

Cranker

I know this will be said more than once but find a good coach. You can watch all the how to videos and read as much as you want but working with a good coach can be invaluable. Learn the proper way of doing things before you pick up too many bad habits.

Cranker

Jason hit the nail on the head, start with a coach before you pick up bad habits on your own. It took me weeks to do the release my coach taught me, now it seems natural.

o and welcome and ask away
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into the coaching in the area. Hopefully there is someone with a good reputation around here.

Chats: 4

As it has already been mentioned if you can find a good coach that is
    reasonable on their lesson prices then that is your best bet to learn
    how to bowl correctly here is a link to be able to find a qualified coach
    in your area FIND A COACH just insert your zip code or state into the
    appropriate boxes.

Oh by the way Welcome to the boards.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Good advice on finding a coach, as far as your thumb you will develop callouses on it as you play more and it might get a bit bigger also your thumb will change size slightly based upon the time of day, have your PSO make a few passes to enlarge it if you find it too tight, if its too loose use tape to tighten it up. check a ball grip test video to make sure you are where you need to be on grip. It took me a while to get to the right "feel" after returning to bowling after 25 years.
    Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast