Thread: New ball

Wink New ball

Hi folks. My first post here. Lots of great information here.

I just got a new ball. I have been using a Columbia 300 Scout reactive 14 lbs for the past 15 years. I finally have a ball that doesn't slide through the oil and I am happier than a pig in you know what! Lol

I purchased the Ebonite Game Breaker 2 MVP 14 lbs. what a difference! I can't wait until league night.

I went to Jaybird's pro shop in Wilmington, Delaware. I was truly impressed. Jay spent an hour + with me to see how I bowl and makes sure I was getting the right thing. He also made sure it worked well for me after he drilled it. He truly is a master and a great guy. If you live in the Delaware area and need supplies check him out. Prices are fair too.

It's really nice to still be able to get that mom and pop shop feeling. I like online shopping just as much as the rest but some things can't compare the shops like Jay's.

Have you had a good experience with your local shop?

Chats: 4

First off Welcome to the boards.

It is nice feeling to get a new ball and especially one that
    works out for you and does what you want it to do.

That is also a good feeling to know that the PSO is willing
    to take the time to make sure what you need and to make
    sure it fits and rolls correctly you might want to stick with
    him the next time you need another new ball drilled up.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

I quite like the Pro shop manager I've been going to lately. I've only just got my first ball (Ebonite Cyclone) this past week, so I'm not sure how perfectly the ball was drilled. But He had no issues with widening the thumb opening while applying grip tape deeper in the thumb hole. He's also been helpful whenever I've asked him about proper form/grip/etc. Yesterday when he didn't have any customers in the shop, he walked down to the lane I was on and offered a few pointers, which were greatly appreciated. So all in all, I'm happy.

Chats: 10

Seems like you both have a great PSO. It's always great to have the PSO watch you bowl to select the right ball for you and to help you out with some tips. I've shared a post not too long ago of two PSO that I used. One I used to drill me a energy sleeve for my switch grip and messed up the ball pretty bad, got a new ball out of it though and another who pushes certain line of balls and gets upset when I went back to my original PSO. It's important to have the right guy to take care of you.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

I started to work with a new PSO this year also. I DEFINITELY have to change my Mastermind. He did not stress one brand. He gave me a list of balls the would be appropriate so that I could research them. He takes the time to see how I bowl so the drilling will be good. He actually re-drilled the Mastermind. The grip is comfortable, it is just that the ball is old and has no finish at the pins.
    A good PSO is critical in today's bowling. There are just to many balls to buy and lane conditions to adjust to.

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    First off Welcome to the boards.

It is nice feeling to get a new ball and especially one that
    works out for you and does what you want it to do.

That is also a good feeling to know that the PSO is willing
    to take the time to make sure what you need and to make
    sure it fits and rolls correctly you might want to stick with
    him the next time you need another new ball drilled up.
    Oh yes. He has a customer for life and so does the bowling alley now.

Great shop here in St. Louis. Ray Orf's is still there. Dad took me there for my first ball almost 40 years ago. Been there many times over the years. They are highly respected here and always know their stuff. Going to be taking my ten year old there soon for her first ball! (Must hold back the sentimental tears...)