Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad knee's and can't find the speed !

Chats: 0

Default Bad knee's and can't find the speed !

So....I have 2 bad knee's and I'm having problems generating enough speed for the shot we bowl on (Bourbon St rec pattern ),my ball seems to always roll up early. I'm throwing a Hy-road pin over the middle of my bridge cg almost zero and a Polished RotoGrip Theory pin up Stacked about 1 and 1/2 inches away from my fingers ..both are 15 lb ,just this last week I moved up about a foot in front of the dots ( pretty soon I'll be in front of the ball return )been standing 25 right and trying to swing 12 board(lefty...thus the name )I'll listen to all and try most ......thanks folks !

Proud to be a member of Bowling Boards. 6-300 Games, 796 High Series,Tweener.
    In The Bag:Roto Grip ~ Rogue Cell,Theory and Wrecker... Storm ~ Virtual Gravity Nano,White Dot
    This Years Avg : 210

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

One way to generate more speed is not to lose the speed you already are generating, Look at your form and rhythm and see if there are things slowing you down.

I've been in a slump for a while, my speed down and other issues, the other night another bowler whose opinions I trust was watching. He said while my basic form was alright, my timing was way off.

He pointed out I was starting my ball late and when I got toward the end of my approach, I was having to muscle down the swing to get the ball to catch up to my body at the finish. This besides causing other issues, robbed me of some of my speed.

So when I got up for my next and on subsequent shots, I worked on getting the ball started sooner and loosening up the swing. Also I felt my feet were a little slow, do to the late start. So I tried to quicken my feet, I imagined having the feeling that I was running to the foul line (Not actually running, just the feeling of going faster).

I looked up after my shot and my speed was up about 2 mph! back closer to what my speed used to be. So a little earlier start of the ball, getting it into the swing earlier and quicker tempo with the feet produced more speed with not too much effort.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 04-01-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Cranker

Isn't a higher backswing a way to increase speed. I also have a slow speed and slow short 5 step approach.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    Isn't a higher backswing a way to increase speed. I also have a slow speed and slow short 5 step approach.
    Most ball speed comes from your feet, If your using a five step approach and are using a slow pace. Your speed will be slower.

The pace of your footwork for 5 steps should be:

1. Slow
    2. Slow
    3. Quick
    4. Quick
    5. Slide

4 step is:
    1. Slow
    2. Quick
    3. Quick
    4. Slide

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

The single biggest detriment to ball speed is late timing. I've recently had to move up all the way to the front of the approach due to degenerative bone disease in my back. I still use a five step approach, but my first step is no more than about a 2" shuffle. I feel like my approach is shuffle, shuffle, short, short, slide. That first short shuffle step has improved my timing to such a degree that I have actually gained ball speed by moving way up on the approach. The best thing about it is that I can feel the timing spot: the ball at the top of the backswing that starts down in tandem with my slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Old lefty View Post
    just this last week I moved up about a foot in front of the dots ( pretty soon I'll be in front of the ball return )I'll listen to all and try most ......thanks folks !
    Most people I coach when they move up they slow down I would try to stand behind the dots.This way you can be more aggressive with you feet.

been standing 25 right and trying to swing 12 board(lefty...thus the name )
    So what is stopping you from moving in deeper? You could move 8-10 boards more right and maybe find more oil. Try a weaker ball .

The whole problem is the pain in the knees prevents me from moving back for more speed,by moving up I also get the ball further down the lane ...which has helped a little,I do like the weaker ball idea.

Proud to be a member of Bowling Boards. 6-300 Games, 796 High Series,Tweener.
    In The Bag:Roto Grip ~ Rogue Cell,Theory and Wrecker... Storm ~ Virtual Gravity Nano,White Dot
    This Years Avg : 210

Quote Originally Posted by Old lefty View Post
    The whole problem is the pain in the knees prevents me from moving back for more speed,by moving up I also get the ball further down the lane ...which has helped a little,I do like the weaker ball idea.
    Timing and free arm swing and grip has really helped my speed. Not just mph but consistently hitting less than .5 mph between releases.

That being said, what do you mean getting the ball further down the lane? Closer to the arrows than the foul line?
    Current arsenal:
    Motiv Trident Motiv Jackal Ghost RG No Rules RG DareDevil
    C300 Impulse Hammer Black Urethane

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Most ball speed comes from your feet, If your using a five step approach and are using a slow pace. Your speed will be slower.

The pace of your footwork for 5 steps should be:

1. Slow
    2. Slow
    3. Quick
    4. Quick
    5. Slide

4 step is:
    1. Slow
    2. Quick
    3. Quick
    4. Slide

not to hyjack the thread but I have an issue sliding since my heel is on the ground also. I bought brand new shoes and still need a strap on slider. My big frame stops me from running to the line. I take the 5 shortest steps ever...lol
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The single biggest detriment to ball speed is late timing. I've recently had to move up all the way to the front of the approach due to degenerative bone disease in my back. I still use a five step approach, but my first step is no more than about a 2" shuffle. I feel like my approach is shuffle, shuffle, short, short, slide. That first short shuffle step has improved my timing to such a degree that I have actually gained ball speed by moving way up on the approach. The best thing about it is that I can feel the timing spot: the ball at the top of the backswing that starts down in tandem with my slide.
    Being 70 years old now I also have an approach like your which is short. I am standing just a little in front of the ball return. When I look at the foul line when I set up it looks real close but at the end of my slide I am at the foul line and not crossing it. I have short steps also. I start my swing on my second step and it is timed perfectly with the beginning of my slide. I am able to post all of my shots with no trouble.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast