Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is Soooo Special....

Quote Originally Posted by kydave View Post
    sorry rob. Humor doesn't translate well over the internet sometimes. I was bowling friday and a guy on the pair next to me was talking about carry down and thought oh it's a good thing rob isn't here haha. I know it is a highly debated topic and interested to read your article i added in the strong ball and keep adding more and more surface because it won't hook, which is another common misconception that i know you love. I thought maybe adding in the more length using the approach and the ridiculous specs carried out decimal would give away where i was going. I should have added how i was a 3 handed bowler too haha.
    roflmao!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    What I meant by that...is that the track...at least early on in a series...is very forgiving of mistakes. When you move inside...those mistakes are amplified.

So yes, the track burns up quickly...people start leaving flat 10s...maybe even coming in really light and leaving 2-pin combos and washouts. And, their pulled shots go from holding to though the nose splits.

BUT....the inside line requires more precision. A slight miss left...through the nose...a slight miss right....washout. Someone who is very precise...can probably play the inside line with great success and consistent scoring...with little interference from other bowlers. BUT...you can't "miss". 1-2 boards right or left...you're in trouble.
    I really this just depends on what your used too. I move outside 8 I feel like every miss of 1/2 a board is amplified. While playing inside I feel like I'm basically just standing back throwing the ball at the friction.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

It took me a second but the 697.32 revs gave it away. lol. Unfortunately I have a kid I bowl with that does throw the ball 20 m.p.h. and simply can understand why his ball wont hook.

Current arsenal

Chats: 0

Amyers.... I have a hard time seeing the guy in your avatar picture stepping on the approach with the 'Skull' spare ball. You a hard-rocker in a nice shirt? <g>

My 'A' game is on the 5 board, down and in. Sometimes, I'll play outside of that, even. I can play an inside shot, but it needs to be a super-short pattern for it to be effective since I'm somewhat speed dominant. As Brian Voss says in his book, speed is critical in the modern game, so if you can get in the pocket with good position and angle, there's never too much speed. The upshot for a guy like myself is that I need all the friction I can find to get good pocket angle with my lower rev rate, and that means oil is still my enemy.... just like the old days! <g> One nice feature of the way-outside-down-and-in shot is that there's typically very little traffic there. As I grind a track in what little oil there is, I just make tiny adjustments in lay down point and / or speed, and can keep hitting all night while crankers are leap-frogging each other in the greasy part.

I almost never play the 10 board. Still too slippery there for my delivery... especially on these new-fangled synthetic lanes.

Would love to be 'king for a day' with that 600 RPM rev rate, though!! ;-) Ball must come back in the return a little warm after that! <g>
    In my bag: DV8 TWB (plastic), Vintage Danger Zone, Storm Crux and 900 Global Chemical X.
    PAP: 4" over, 1/4" up. Weight: 14 lbs.
    High Game: 254. High Series: 673.
    2016-17 Orange County, CA USBC Open Tournament Champion, Team and All Events.

Terrifying!

"Terrifying! "

What.. The 600 RPM ball, or my game?.... Or Amyers' 'Skull' spare ball?? <vlg>
    In my bag: DV8 TWB (plastic), Vintage Danger Zone, Storm Crux and 900 Global Chemical X.

Quote Originally Posted by DMS View Post
    "Terrifying! "

Probably all 3 lol. I work with a lot of younger bowlers and I will guarantee you there is such a thing as too much speed. There are also bowlers with too much revs. The modern game requires at least some semblance of balance between speed and rev rate to be effective especially if you intend on bowling in tournaments and sports patterns. THS patterns with substantial oil outside of 5 aren't unheard of here either for some strange reason a few proprietors here put down a shot that is slick outside with hook inside almost reverse block like but not to that extent.

I love the skull ball but it is probably soon to be retired as I'm probably switching to 14 lb. over the summer. I do enjoy having something that is different.

Current arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by DMS View Post
    "Terrifying! "

Your game! If you are finding too much oil at the second arrow on a house shot, you are in serious need of some lessons.

Rob,

Well... I'm going to be in Vegas three times in the next few months to bowl tournaments. One for league (in which our team is rolling off for first place tonight!), next for the TAT at Orleans, and then a senior doubles tourney my wife and I are thinking of doing together. Want to take a look at me? I'll be happy to have your input, as I'm never opposed to improving or becoming more versatile!

I've read tons of your posts here, and have a lot of respect for your opinion. I have a local coach, WPBA player Virginia Norton. She's helped my game a ton in the few sessions I've had with her. I've been back to bowling again since Feb. 2016 after a 35 year layoff <g>! The game has indeed changed a LOT. I've still been effective with a down and in style on modern conditions, though. As I stated above, I am capable of playing an inside line if the conditions permit me to, and I do work on that shot during my practice sessions. I've studied a lot, too... So far, I've read (multiple times each)

Bare Bones Bowling (Voss; this book has been invaluable!)
    Focused for Bowling (Hinitz)
    Bowling Execution (Jowdy)
    Bowling Fundamentals (Mullen)
    Game Changer (Baker)

I really like Baker's take on timing, and that's what I really strive for... Ball at top of the swing on my power step. Also, I feel like I'm swinging the ball quite well... I 'walk past it', have a super relaxed grip, get the thumb out first, etc, etc, etc,. I do wear a wrist support, though, and obviously that's going to prevent the 'yo-yo' release. I'm a desk jockey, and my wrist is not built like an iron worker's. <g>

Would be delighted to meet you in real life and put a face to the online personality!

I've been averaging around 190 the last five weeks, and have been pulling out a lot of 200+ games. If you could help me push up to a scratch level average, believe me... I'd pay your bill in a second!

Finally, I'll say this... My home house puts out a helluva hard shot. It's slick as snot up the middle, and REALLY long. For a guy like myself coming back in from the days of wood lanes, it's like being on a different planet. The hand these guys put on their shots these days blows my mind. I haven't been able to do it, yet. I don't know if I'll EVER be able to do it. When I go play a different joint, it's almost ALWAYS easier, with way more friction at the edges and much better hold on shots that veer left. I'll typically score 20 to 40 pins higher at other houses, and can often move my line more inside (like you'd like to see). Still... I have a pretty easy time out on the twig almost anywhere I go, if I feel like playing it. Works for WRW, right? Why is it 'evil'?

Sorry to terrify you, man... I'm just a guy rollin' some balls!
    Last edited by DMS; 04-26-2017 at 07:07 PM.

The difference between me and a lot of coaches is that I'm not satisfied to teach bowlers how to "get by" on modern lane conditions with modern bowling balls, using traditional techniques. If you really want to succeed on synthetic lanes with modern bowling balls, then there are some significant changes that bowlers must make to their games, including developing a modern release, increasing ball speed, making lateral adjustments, seeing the lane from front to back, and really understanding their bowling balls.

I would be happy to help you, however, I will be the first to tell you that my rates are high: $100 per lesson (1 - 1/2 hours). With this being said, I have local bowlers who see me every couple of weeks, others who come from California for three lessons in three days, and many who come to bowl nationals here. One of my recent students from the Midwest came to bowl Nationals, saw me before he bowled, and shot 1880 something. I've yet to have any complaints. Give me a call at (702) 265-8472 when you get here if you'd like some help.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast