Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowling Injuries

Chats: 2

Default Bowling Injuries

Anyone ever had major injuries while bowling? I bowled a tourney last weekend, 3 squads (18 games total). I knew I shouldn't have bowled the last squad as I was getting tired, but decided to anyway. My arm started hurting, but I didn't think anything of it. Bowled league Tuesday night and it started bugging me 3rd game. Bowled league friday night and it started hurting from frame 1. Woke up yesterday and my gf notice I had some bruising on my arm (where it has been hurting). Only think I can think of, is when I started getting wore out, I started muscling the ball, and I had to have ended up doing a slight tear in the muscle. Still kinda hurts a week later. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Chats: 0

You can get hurt in this sport. I tore my right quad as a teenager bowling. Took 4 months to heal up. Still hurts from time to time. It's hard for people to realize you really need to warm up before bowling. Also don't fire your first practice ball at full force. Just work into getting to your top speed

I know a guy who tore his bicep. It took surgery and months to heal.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Torn upper hamstring takes up to 2 years. Anytime you try to bowl you almost crumble to the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I know a guy who tore his bicep. It took surgery and months to heal.
    Mine is on the backside of my bicep. Just bruising and sore. No bulge though so I know its not completely torn. Think mine is just strained. 18 games at one time was rough lol

I know quite a few guys that have had rotator cuff surgery, including me, now some of it is wear and rear from other sports, but also have know a couple of guys who played no other sports. I primarily caused the damage to mine playing softball, and then fell on it.

I also have seen a number of guys have hand surgeries, and carpal tunnel surgery, not sure if or how much the damage was from bowling.

I can attest that a complete tear and bicep tendon surgery is a nasty one, re-casted 4 times over 8 weeks and then 6 months of rehab, bowled left handed for a year and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I know quite a few guys that have had rotator cuff surgery, including me, now some of it is wear and rear from other sports, but also have know a couple of guys who played no other sports. I primarily caused the damage to mine playing softball, and then fell on it.

I also have seen a number of guys have hand surgeries, and carpal tunnel surgery, not sure if or how much the damage was from bowling.

I can attest that a complete tear and bicep tendon surgery is a nasty one, re-casted 4 times over 8 weeks and then 6 months of rehab, bowled left handed for a year and a half.
    Damn. That doesn't sound like fun. I'm hoping mine isn't anything too serious. Luckily its the end of our season here, but there is a few ABT Tourneys in the area I'd like to bowl, provided it gets better

Chats: 10

I have bursitis (sp?). Inflamation in my bowling shoulder. Usually a few asprins does the trick.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Chats: 221

Strainedx bicep, severe strained MCL,tendonitis in bowling elbow.
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    Damn. That doesn't sound like fun. I'm hoping mine isn't anything too serious. Luckily its the end of our season here, but there is a few ABT Tourneys in the area I'd like to bowl, provided it gets better
    Chances are that it's a strain / slight tear, pretty common and complete recovery is usually the case. If you can't turn your hand from palm down to palm up and it is very painful you should probably get to an orthopedic surgeon pronto and get examined.
    Mine was an extreme case, a complete tear at the elbow, a fairly uncommon injury, (not injured from bowling) and the initial Dr screwed up the diagnosis resulting in a delay of a couple days for the surgery, not a good plan with tendons as they curl up in a ball. According to the surgeon I recovered the maximum use of the arm possible at the one year exam of the arm, I made it back to 80% use of the arm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast