Thread: Ron Mohr chokes on the final shot

Chats: 204

Post Ron Mohr chokes on the final shot

After John Dudak has a VISE IT malfunction with his spare ball...that nearly derails his shot at the title...

Ron Mohr faces Tom Baker in the finals and Baker goes X, X, 9 in the 10th. Mohr can strike out to win... he goes X, X, 8. Ron Mohr's title drought continues!

Dudak looked unstoppable early, but the missed 10-pin after his IT insert broke in his spare ball...that seemed to mentally rattle him. I've always been on the fence about an IT insert in a spare ball...just because I never wanted to create two separate sets of inserts. But, it also keeps me from having this type of problem. If an IT breaks in your strike ball...you have other strike balls to use. If it breaks in your spare ball...now you're either trying to hook at the spares, trying to manipulate your hand position when you're not used to doing it, or throwing a house ball at your spares.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    After John Dudak has a VISE IT malfunction with his spare ball...that nearly derails his shot at the title...

Ron Mohr faces Tom Baker in the finals and Baker goes X, X, 9 in the 10th. Mohr can strike out to win... he goes X, X, 8. Ron Mohr's title drought continues!

Dudak looked unstoppable early, but the missed 10-pin after his IT insert broke in his spare ball...that seemed to mentally rattle him. I've always been on the fence about an IT insert in a spare ball...just because I never wanted to create two separate sets of inserts. But, it also keeps me from having this type of problem. If an IT breaks in your strike ball...you have other strike balls to use. If it breaks in your spare ball...now you're either trying to hook at the spares, trying to manipulate your hand position when you're not used to doing it, or throwing a house ball at your spares.
    Why would having an IT insert in your spare ball require a second set of inserts? Most bowlers I've seen will just pop the thumb out of the strike ball, insert it in the spare ball and then shoot the spare.

As for having one break in a strike ball, yes you would have other balls to use, but in the modern game, especially in professional tournaments, having the right ball is very important. While you might be able to get one of the other balls to hit the pocket consistently, you might also wind up consisently leaving the 10 pin or the seven pin.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Why would having an IT insert in your spare ball require a second set of inserts? Most bowlers I've seen will just pop the thumb out of the strike ball, insert it in the spare ball and then shoot the spare.
    I'm not saying I wouldn't do that...I've used a different strike ball on each lane and had to switch out IT inserts between shots...but I wouldn't want that to be a "habit". Same thing with wrist braces. I'd be willing to wear one...but only if I kept it on with strike shots as well as spare shots...I don't want to be switching shot to shot.

Strike balls are one thing...but I gotta think losing your spare ball is worse. And it looked like Dudak agreed...given he shot that 10-pin as if he knew he was going to miss it with his spare balls.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

I personally love having my switch grip and being able to use the same thumb throughout the night, makes tape adjustments so much easier. The positive I have found from switching out between spares and strikes is that it forces you to take that extra second and re-focus on the shot; just a personal preference thing though.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    I personally love having my switch grip and being able to use the same thumb throughout the night, makes tape adjustments so much easier. The positive I have found from switching out between spares and strikes is that it forces you to take that extra second and re-focus on the shot; just a personal preference thing though.
    That's an interesting take on it that I haven't heard before.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

to me... a lower average come back bowler it sounds like a mind game. I averaged 190+ 30 years ago shot a lot of action with plastic or rubber 1 ball for all. I am just coming back maybe 9 months and am still confused....lol. I was so proud the other day to show my coach my release and he said you are spinning the ball, here I thought I had it down pat...
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner