Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 16# vs 15#

I was off for 12 years and recently had both hips replaced and just turning 60 I switched to 15 lb equipment from 16. I think the 15lb stuff hits as hard as the 16lb stuff. I still can leave a solid 8 or 9 pin. In today's game it is finding the right angle to carry. When I left the game in 2002 I was averaging 215 and after coming back after the hip replacements I averaged 197 for the last half of the season which was ok as I was still getting my strength back. So I like the 15lb equipment. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

Quote Originally Posted by foreverincamo View Post
    I'm too old to learn a new release. Thanks anyway
    I just taught one of the super seniors on the PBA50 Tour how to use a modern release. He's resisted it for a long time. Finally, last month, he gave in. Now, he says that when he feels his wrist break he knows it's money. He's bowling better than he ever has. I hope I NEVER reach an age where I think I'm too old to learn anything!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I just taught one of the super seniors on the PBA50 Tour how to use a modern release. He's resisted it for a long time. Finally, last month, he gave in. Now, he says that when he feels his wrist break he knows it's money. He's bowling better than he ever has. I hope I NEVER reach an age where I think I'm too old to learn anything!
    I once worked with a carpenter who was old at 33. I don't mean in the sense of having physical problems caused by over use or misuse of his body. He had absolutely no interest in learning anything more than he already knew about the trade.

On the other hand I've known 90 year old people who were still learning.
    John

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Super Senior,,, I guess so! Does it cause pain when he breaks it? I thought I was one tough Iron Worker,,, but teaching seniors to bowl by breaking their wrist?

Rob, I am glad I just had ONE lesion while bowing with you in Vegas! Would have been tough riding the bike back to Kansas City, with a broken wrist! When you say: "When he feels his wrist break, he knows it's money!" I bet,,, what does the ER charge there in Vegas! I love bowling bud, but breaking my wrist to bowl better is not going to happen.
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 04-27-2017 at 01:00 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

My question on learning the modern release is concerning stress on the hand / wrist / elbow/ shoulder. I see the younger guys put a ton of revs on the ball, and even several of the guys doing that in their 30's are questioning how much longer they can keep it up without risking injury.
    It makes sense that putting more revs on the ball will increase scoring, however the force to create the extra revs has to come from somewhere at some cost. The question is for older bowlers is it worth it, especially guys like me who have already had multiple surgeries on my arm.
    At what point do you concede that throwing a ball with an easier release is the way to prolong your ability to continue to play the game.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    My question on learning the modern release is concerning stress on the hand / wrist / elbow/ shoulder. I see the younger guys put a ton of revs on the ball, and even several of the guys doing that in their 30's are questioning how much longer they can keep it up without risking injury.
    It makes sense that putting more revs on the ball will increase scoring, however the force to create the extra revs has to come from somewhere at some cost. The question is for older bowlers is it worth it, especially guys like me who have already had multiple surgeries on my arm.
    At what point do you concede that throwing a ball with an easier release is the way to prolong your ability to continue to play the game.
    The "modern" release is not the Mark Roth, 'rip the cover off the ball' release that almost every bowler tried to copy in the 80s and 90s. The modern release relies not on wrist strength, but wrist flexibility and good timing. If you wait till the top of the backswing, the weight of the ball will cup your wrist for you. If you try to help your swing to put more speed on the ball it becomes almost impossible to maintain a cupped position.
    John

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    Bowler has 250 rpms at 13mph with a 15 lbs ball. Bowler increased ball weight to 16lbs. Rev rate drops to 200-220, speed drops to 11-12 mph..... this will trip the corners better?? Really?

Robs answer is better....
    Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    It would be as likely to be effective as adding weight to try and make the ball hit harder. If your speed challenged it's likely your release is weak also. Adding weight will most likely lead to even more reduced speed and rev rate more than making up anything is added by the additional mass
    I think 15lbs is the ideal "weight/speed/rpm" combination...at this point in time.

That "may" change...if bowling balls continue to get stronger and hook more....we may see bowlers start to move to heavier equipment to control their rpms....kinda like what we're seeing with urethane.

For Myself:

15#: Speed = 17.5 mph (at the pins), rev rate = 275rpms, tendency to leave more 8-pins and 8-10s.

16#: Speed = 15.5 mph (at the pins), rev rate = 240rpms, rarely leave an 8-pin or 8-10.

But...each person is going to be different. Foot speed and release both play into the equation despite the ball weight.
    Last edited by Aslan; 04-29-2017 at 01:48 AM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I went from 16 to 15 and picked up zero speed. As far as modern release is the the thumb at like 1 o'clock or so? I used to use the handshake release 40 years ago, now I am trying to do the 1-2 o'clock release and my coach says I'm spinning the ball instead of rolling it...
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Chats: 2

I threw 15# equipment for years, even a few 16# equipment here and there. When equipment started getting more and more aggressive, I actually dropped down to 14# to keep my ball speed higher. I've been stuck at 14# ever since and I wouldn't change a thing. Being a 2-hander, I've always had a decent rev rate (not crazy by any means, around 385-400). But, what I did notice, was that 14# gave me more pin action, something that is desperately needed in my home house with Twister pins. I didn't really notice too much in pin action in other houses either. If anything, it's gotten better. This game is getting more and more about angles with the equipment that is being produced. The more aggressive the equipment, it seems the more angle you need to create. I've notice that, even when I throw urethane, I have to have a large entry angle to kick the corners.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

The "modern" release is not the Mark Roth, 'rip the cover off the ball' release that almost every bowler tried to copy in the 80s and 90s. That is me only add the 70's also. I still use it but have lost some of my speed. Mostly due to being afraid of sticking and killing myself. Need fast feet to create ball speed. I can still rip the cover off just not with enough speed. I tried the new release but almost dropped the ball on my foot and gave up on it.
    I don't have enough years left to relearn bowling now.
    If you have to use 2 hands to get revs on the ball you better get to the gym and grab some weights.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast