Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summer league, are you in one or taking the summer off.

Two weeks into the summer league.

Bowling at a different house that I've never bowled at (other than a few practice games a couple of years ago).

Found I know a handful of guys in the league, a couple of guys from my Fri league.

According to them and some other regulars, this house typically runs about 10 pins higher in average from my other center.

After two weeks one of my teammates is 5 pins up / the other is 11 pins up / I am 20 pins up, but it's only been 2 weeks.

This league has no where near the same talent level of the other center as evidenced by the standings and stats
    We are in first place and have a bunch of the high stats, that's not been typical the last few years in the other league although we did win that other league
    5 years ago, but that was with a couple of different bowlers.

Time will tell how it ends up

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Since I'm moving from California to Iowa in the next couple weeks...
    Ah so you're moving from the land of Sun, Sand, and Surf to the land
    of Corn, Soybeans, and Snow Shovels. LOL!!!!!!

Are you moving to Des Moines or to a surrounding area as there are
    several centers up there to check out.

1st is Air Lanes Bowling Center
    2nd is Plaza Lanes
    3rd is Val Lanes Recreation Center
    4th is Bowlerama Lanes
    5th is Merle Hay Lanes
    6th is Great Escape -The Ultimate Experience it is located in Pleasant Hill, IA a suburb of Des Moines
    7th is Warrior Lanes it is located in Waukee, IA another suburb of Des Moines
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    Are you moving to Des Moines or to a surrounding area as there are
    several centers up there to check out.
    I'm considering this option. They have a PBA experience league. Not sure if I want to jump right into that...but it's certainly something I'm considering for summer 2018 or Fall/Winter 2018/2019.
    Same as above. They have a sport shot league that looks interesting...not right away, but maybe summer 2018 and/or 2018/2019 fall/winter. I'll be in West Des Moines and I think Air Lanes will be closer...but this is a nice back-up option.
    This is the center I'm most interested in. They appear to have a few competitive, larger leagues and a nice website...seem to be more league friendly. I'll be checking out this center for certain.
    This center is intriguing. Two of the higher average bowlers in the area bowl 1 or more leagues at this center...and both did quite well at the USBC Open. The only downside to this center is that it's on the wrong side of Des Moines and I might have to spend twice as much time getting there as I would some of the closer centers.
    This is my back-up option should Val Lanes not turn out to my liking. Or, I may do a league here and one at Val Lanes just to get a feel for a couple different centers. I think it has at least one sizeable/competitive league worth joining.
    6th is Great Escape -The Ultimate Experience it is located in Pleasant Hill, IA a suburb of Des Moines
    This one is quite a distance away given I'll be on the West side of Des Moines...probably not worth the drive on a weekly basis.
    7th is Warrior Lanes it is located in Waukee, IA another suburb of Des Moines
    This center is by FAR the closest to my location...literally minutes away. Unfortunately, from what I've gathered from their website...this center doesn't take league bowling very seriously and has virtually no sizeable nor competitive leagues. Lots of youth bowling...and lots of "short season leagues" designed for less serious bowlers. If they had a league worth joining...and took league bowlers more seriously...it'd be a convenient center for me; unfortunately...that does not seem to be the case.

Are you from the area? Any recommendations/warnings?

I'm originally from the Detroit area...spent a lot of time in northern Michigan...a couple years in Illinois...so I'll be able to adapt to the climate. Probably will need to finally invest in proper shoe covers....once the snow comes...the common traffic areas can get quite wet from what I recall.

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan
    Unfortunately no I'm not from there now but I did live up there for a while when
    going to school years ago the only warning I can give you is watch out for all of
    those corn fed girls as they will get ya. LOL!!!!!!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

I'm considering this option. They have a PBA experience league. Not sure if I want to jump right into that...but it's certainly something I'm considering for summer 2018 or Fall/Winter 2018/2019.

Same as above. They have a sport shot league that looks interesting...not right away, but maybe summer 2018 and/or 2018/2019 fall/winter. I'll be in West Des Moines and I think Air Lanes will be closer...but this is a nice back-up option.

This is the center I'm most interested in. They appear to have a few competitive, larger leagues and a nice website...seem to be more league friendly. I'll be checking out this center for certain.

This center is intriguing. Two of the higher average bowlers in the area bowl 1 or more leagues at this center...and both did quite well at the USBC Open. The only downside to this center is that it's on the wrong side of Des Moines and I might have to spend twice as much time getting there as I would some of the closer centers.

This is my back-up option should Val Lanes not turn out to my liking. Or, I may do a league here and one at Val Lanes just to get a feel for a couple different centers. I think it has at least one sizeable/competitive league worth joining.

This one is quite a distance away given I'll be on the West side of Des Moines...probably not worth the drive on a weekly basis.

This center is by FAR the closest to my location...literally minutes away. Unfortunately, from what I've gathered from their website...this center doesn't take league bowling very seriously and has virtually no sizeable nor competitive leagues. Lots of youth bowling...and lots of "short season leagues" designed for less serious bowlers. If they had a league worth joining...and took league bowlers more seriously...it'd be a convenient center for me; unfortunately...that does not seem to be the case.

I'm originally from the Detroit area...spent a lot of time in northern Michigan...a couple years in Illinois...so I'll be able to adapt to the climate. Probably will need to finally invest in proper shoe covers....once the snow comes...the common traffic areas can get quite wet from what I recall.
    One other possibility to consider since you're going to be there pretty soon is stopping by a couple of the most desirable looking places and checking for vacant slots in the ongoing summer leagues, if it's like most places there could be a few teams here and there that are short a player, you could step in and get some first hand knowledge of the centers, lanes, and people before making selection for the long duration winter leagues. It seems like holding off from joining the sport shot and challenge leagues until you get settled and see how things are is a wise idea.

Unfortunately no I'm not from there now but I did live up there for a while when
    going to school years ago the only warning I can give you is watch out for all of
    those corn fed girls as they will get ya. LOL!!!!!!!
    I seem to have a built in defense system against women of all diets...so I doubt that'll change when I reside in flyover country.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Its not the Diet, but the Food that matters!

I seem to have a built in defense system against women of all diets...so I doubt that'll change when I reside in flyover country.
    especially the GMO corn fed ones in that part of the country! You just might have missed out a chance in a life time! Running the 6 lane Classic Wood alley of Plattsburg Missouri!! I would have been willing to go partner with you! The cost to lease the whole ball of wax would be 300 a month divided by us. I know the two Great Guys that run it now are looking for someone local to carry the torch! They are getting up there in age, Chris 76, and Bob 83! They did ask if I was interested!

Another great thing about Plattsburg is that there is a School for The Blind Go-Go dancers right out of sight of town. Lots of college age women that don't have vision! Some GREAT bars their in town to pick up on some chicks that don't care what you look like, (if you know what I mean?)

How cool,,, (says Iceman), would it be to have the keys to your own bowling alley. I have the details if you think you might be interested.

Chicks love guys that have Wood!

Wood lanes are a chick magnet in Plattsburg, and the good part is that there is a huge shortage of men!

Anyway, good luck with your move to GMO LAND! Your moving form the radiations infested west coast, to the toxic GMO laced farm belt!

Think before you move to that part of this country!

Imagine Yourself running with complete control, Your own bowling lanes, to do with as you please. Only expense would be our rent, utilities, and insurance.

I picture you giving lessons to the many beautiful blind Go-Go Dancer students! MIGHT be WORTH a flight to Plattsburg, where you could land on the Air Port that doesn't exist! Then ride a donkey, (fastest means from airport), to the Garden of Eden, and the home of the best damn wood lanes West of CA!

THINK ABOUT IT!!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Aslan, Iceman let me use his computer to communicate with You! We need a man that can teach all us Plattsburg Vixens with POOR eye sight how to bowel. Iceman has shown me a picture of you, and the fist
    words out of my mouth were: "Does he have a great PERSONALITY?" thanks Iceman for letting me use your laptop to beg him to come manage our historic: Real Men Bowl on Wood Lanes!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    Iceman has shown me a picture of you, and the fist
    words out of my mouth were:
    Why does she have a fist in her mouth? Wait...maybe that's not a good question to ask as I imagine Bowl1820 already has his finger on the "CENSOR" button...

Also, very poorly dressed for outdoor field work. Sun exposure aside, you gotta guard against ticks.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

I'll help her get the ticks off.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast