Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A motion for Aslan to move to The Kansas City Missouri area

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Maybe we should make it a poll

Should Aslan be banished to KC or MIL ?

Should he agree, we can make it an official poll and decide what State gets to add him to their list.

Before we start the poll does anyone else want to throw their name in the bowling bag ?

(Note: No need to respond if you don't want to be in the running )
    He's more than welcome to come get ran over here in Wyoming lol
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    He's more than welcome to come get ran over here in Wyoming lol
    I got a feeling there are more bowling centers within 5 miles of his house than there are in Wyoming ! lol

I got a feeling there are more bowling centers within 5 miles of his house than there are in Wyoming ! lol
    You may be right lol. Where I live, we have 2 in a 15 mile radius. There's one about 100 miles north that's pretty decent, but all of the big tourneys take place in Casper and Cheyenne mainly
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl

It kills me how much a 170 average bowler talks smack. I don't care what house you bowl in, 170 is 170. Even in a hard house, anyone that's decent is over 185. I bowl in notoriously the hardest house in WY. that being said, I think I finished this OFF year at 190. Years past, I've been well over 200. The hardest part about our house? Carry (twister pins are the devil). Get me on somewhere with wood pins (pretty much anywhere else in the state) and I'm 215+ all day (it's been proven). I think some of you guys think you know more than you actually do. It makes for cheap entertainment!

Chats: 204

Where do you get the +40 pins, come out and shoot some games, and then see where you end up.
    Tony my boy...RELAX.

I'll be in the Midwest soon...I look forward to backing up my talk with actions very, very soon. I'm actually procrastinating from packing as we speak.

As to "easy centers"...AGAIN...it's very, very simple. Look at the averages on your league sheet...look at how many honor scores come from each center in your USBC...and if you see that most of the honor scores are coming from a specific center in your USBC...or a higher than reasonable amount....your center is "easier". It's not rocket science. In that other thread...you were talking about numerous 800 series and multiple 300 games per night...and EVERYONE (not just Aslan the hater)...responded in shock. You, of course, got your feelings hurt. I understand that.

I USED TO bowl at a very similar center in Orange County. I averaged 190-192...which was at LEAST 10-pins higher than my averages elsewhere...20 pins in one case. What did I do? Did I brag about how awesome I am that I can average in the 190s after only having started bowling a year prior? Nope. I left that center for good. Because I don't enjoy making bad shots and being rewarded for it. That's just me...I'm "unique" (nice way of saying it) in that I WANT to be challenged, and pushed, and sometimes, defeated. Pushing myself makes me a better bowler in the long run.

Is Iceman legitimately a 200+ average bowler capable of an 800 series every month or so? Probably not. But...maybe!? I bowled against him...I saw his physical game in person...and going by that data alone...he wasn't a "pro" by any means. He also was a rather "newer" bowler...still learning the game...but he does have a decent amount of natural ability and a great, admirable passion for the game. Could he legitimately now be on the verge of being a professional bowler? Perhaps. I'm sure I'll find out, God willing, soon enough. But if he's not...the I absolutely question the conditions at the center he bowls at...which, like your center, is one of the highest average, highest honor score centers in his USBC. Those are just facts....I can't change those facts even I wanted to. They are what they are. As I suggested to you in the other thread...try a different center once a week...maybe find a challenge/sport shot league to try...just to give you a different perspective. You might actually end up agreeing with me.

And that leads me to this "knowledge" debate. I didn't get to say my peace in the other thread before it got locked...so let me say it, briefly, here. There are ZERO bowlers at the professional level who are there SOLELY due to natural ability. Not ONE. Each month...for the last...over a year...I take lessons from one of the best coaches in the ENTIRE WORLD. Bowlers fly in and drive in from everywhere to take lessons from him. He coaches PBA National Tour bowlers. And he's helped me IMMENSELY with my physical game...of which I have very little "natural talent".

BUT...I also have taken lessons from RobM...and in addition to the help with my physical game, have learned a GREAT deal about bowling ball technology from him. I also take lessons from a PWBA bowler....and in addition to the help with my physical game, she has been absolutely crucial to my understanding of lane play, arsenal progression, and spare shooting.

Being "naturally gifted"...may help you get to a high level if you're throwing the ball 21mph, 2-handed, at a center where the ball hits the breakpoint and bounces off it like it his hitting a bumper...but you still have to know how to ADJUST...how to shoot spares consistently, what your equipment does or doesn't do, etc... I bowl against 200+ average bowlers 2-3 times a week....guys that have been bowling for 30+ years...some of them used to be PBA regional players...and I can't beat them on natural talent or experience.

But....how many times have I beaten them...because they absolutely refuse to move...and they have no idea what ball to switch to or (more importantly) WHY they are switching balls to begin with? Many, many times. Rob talks about it quite a bit...watching some very skilled bowlers...that stubbornly resist moving off the track. Of matter of fact, Rob talks about it SO much...that I sometimes wonder if he's not equally stubborn regarding playing the track at all...even when that's the best shot...but whatever.

Knowledge is power. And for those of us that aren't "naturally gifted bowlers"...that knowledge is a very useful tool when it comes to leveling the playing field. Recently, as I've continuously improved...some of these 200+ average bowlers have taken notice...and have EVEN come to ME...asking for advice!! Hey...I'm just as shocked as you are when it happens. I usually have to take a step back and pause before responding...because I don't think I'm good enough to coach toddlers...much less adults.

And...there's one other piece of PROOF that knowledge is power. I won $1555 at sweeps in March...in Vegas. And while I'm sure everyone in the league was pissed off about it...
    1) Every time I go to sweeps, I arrive on Thursday...and I practice Thursday evening, Friday morning, and Friday evening.
    2) I don't get drunk Friday night.
    3) My KNOWLEDGE...and TRAINING...has allowed me to take my game from one center...to another center...a very different center...and still perform at a high level.

So, when these bowlers that bowl at ONE HOUSE....get hammered the night before sweeps to the point that they can barely get up the next day for sweeps...fail to practice at all on the lanes pre-sweeps...and are in the "natural talent" group that think knowledge is over-rated......end up losing $1555...I have ZERO remorse nor sympathy for them.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Also, that being said, I'm all for the 170 average guy that is trying to better his game. But don't tell me you'd give me lessons or any of that other BS. Obviously, if I'm 20 pins higher than you, I'm not taking any lessons from you lol

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    It kills me how much a 170 average bowler talks smack. I don't care what house you bowl in, 170 is 170. Even in a hard house, anyone that's decent is over 185.!
    Agreed...sort of...

But, I'm not a 170 bowler. I WAS a 170 bowler when I was defeated by Iceman in vegas...when Iceman was a 190+ bowler and refused to give me any handicap...but as my signature clearly states...I am now a upper 180s/low 190s bowler. I also am very transparent and post my USBC member number in my signature so everyone can verify/scrutinize me till their little hearts content. For some "strange reason", most of the bowlers on the site are afraid to put their USBC number anywhere on the site...in some cases (from a few years ago)...because they consider bowling a lot like "fishing" in terms of the stories they tell.

I COULD be a 200+ average bowler with one or more perfect games to my credit...if I wanted to bowl at the AMF center down the road...but I don't really see the point in that. Nowadays the USBC only gives you a ring for the first 300-game...so I'm gonna make mine legitimate. I want to look at that ring and KNOW...that it did NOT come easy. I don't want to look at it and think..."wow....I should turn pro! I have 5 300 rings despite being an 80% spare shooter who misses the pocket 1 out of every 3 strikes!"

And no...like most sane individuals...I am NOT moving to Wyoming. Is it better than riot-ridden Missouri? Probably. Actually, I've heard Wyoming is beautiful country and I like the fact that aren't a ton of people to ruin things...so I actually DID consider Wyoming as one of my possible destinations. But, like Missouri, my motivation for moving is to be close to my daughter...and she lives in central Iowa...so that's where I'm going. Maybe in 4-5 years when she goes away for college...but not before.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Two words about moving to Milwaukee. Bronze. Fonz.

USBC Member #2523-47504 (this years average not yet posted).
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    Two words about moving to Milwaukee. Bronze. Fonz.
    I've actually been to Milwaukee, the Bradley Center, Miller Brewery....good times.

And, I did originally look at Wisconsin as a potential destination. I've since ruled it out because the closest major airport with direct flights from Des Moines...is Chicago...and there's no way I'm driving 1-3 hours (depending on time of the day and Chicago traffic) to Chicago every other weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

Tony my boy...RELAX.

I'll be in the Midwest soon...I look forward to backing up my talk with actions very, very soon. I'm actually procrastinating from packing as we speak.

As to "easy centers"...AGAIN...it's very, very simple. Look at the averages on your league sheet...look at how many honor scores come from each center in your USBC...and if you see that most of the honor scores are coming from a specific center in your USBC...or a higher than reasonable amount....your center is "easier". It's not rocket science. In that other thread...you were talking about numerous 800 series and multiple 300 games per night...and EVERYONE (not just Aslan the hater)...responded in shock. You, of course, got your feelings hurt. I understand that.

I USED TO bowl at a very similar center in Orange County. I averaged 190-192...which was at LEAST 10-pins higher than my averages elsewhere...20 pins in one case. What did I do? Did I brag about how awesome I am that I can average in the 190s after only having started bowling a year prior? Nope. I left that center for good. Because I don't enjoy making bad shots and being rewarded for it. That's just me...I'm "unique" (nice way of saying it) in that I WANT to be challenged, and pushed, and sometimes, defeated. Pushing myself makes me a better bowler in the long run.

Is Iceman legitimately a 200+ average bowler capable of an 800 series every month or so? Probably not. But...maybe!? I bowled against him...I saw his physical game in person...and going by that data alone...he wasn't a "pro" by any means. He also was a rather "newer" bowler...still learning the game...but he does have a decent amount of natural ability and a great, admirable passion for the game. Could he legitimately now be on the verge of being a professional bowler? Perhaps. I'm sure I'll find out, God willing, soon enough. But if he's not...the I absolutely question the conditions at the center he bowls at...which, like your center, is one of the highest average, highest honor score centers in his USBC. Those are just facts....I can't change those facts even I wanted to. They are what they are. As I suggested to you in the other thread...try a different center once a week...maybe find a challenge/sport shot league to try...just to give you a different perspective. You might actually end up agreeing with me.

And that leads me to this "knowledge" debate. I didn't get to say my peace in the other thread before it got locked...so let me say it, briefly, here. There are ZERO bowlers at the professional level who are there SOLELY due to natural ability. Not ONE. Each month...for the last...over a year...I take lessons from one of the best coaches in the ENTIRE WORLD. Bowlers fly in and drive in from everywhere to take lessons from him. He coaches PBA National Tour bowlers. And he's helped me IMMENSELY with my physical game...of which I have very little "natural talent".

BUT...I also have taken lessons from RobM...and in addition to the help with my physical game, have learned a GREAT deal about bowling ball technology from him. I also take lessons from a PWBA bowler....and in addition to the help with my physical game, she has been absolutely crucial to my understanding of lane play, arsenal progression, and spare shooting.

Being "naturally gifted"...may help you get to a high level if you're throwing the ball 21mph, 2-handed, at a center where the ball hits the breakpoint and bounces off it like it his hitting a bumper...but you still have to know how to ADJUST...how to shoot spares consistently, what your equipment does or doesn't do, etc... I bowl against 200+ average bowlers 2-3 times a week....guys that have been bowling for 30+ years...some of them used to be PBA regional players...and I can't beat them on natural talent or experience.

But....how many times have I beaten them...because they absolutely refuse to move...and they have no idea what ball to switch to or (more importantly) WHY they are switching balls to begin with? Many, many times. Rob talks about it quite a bit...watching some very skilled bowlers...that stubbornly resist moving off the track. Of matter of fact, Rob talks about it SO much...that I sometimes wonder if he's not equally stubborn regarding playing the track at all...even when that's the best shot...but whatever.

Knowledge is power. And for those of us that aren't "naturally gifted bowlers"...that knowledge is a very useful tool when it comes to leveling the playing field. Recently, as I've continuously improved...some of these 200+ average bowlers have taken notice...and have EVEN come to ME...asking for advice!! Hey...I'm just as shocked as you are when it happens. I usually have to take a step back and pause before responding...because I don't think I'm good enough to coach toddlers...much less adults.

And...there's one other piece of PROOF that knowledge is power. I won $1555 at sweeps in March...in Vegas. And while I'm sure everyone in the league was pissed off about it...
    1) Every time I go to sweeps, I arrive on Thursday...and I practice Thursday evening, Friday morning, and Friday evening.
    2) I don't get drunk Friday night.
    3) My KNOWLEDGE...and TRAINING...has allowed me to take my game from one center...to another center...a very different center...and still perform at a high level.

So, when these bowlers that bowl at ONE HOUSE....get hammered the night before sweeps to the point that they can barely get up the next day for sweeps...fail to practice at all on the lanes pre-sweeps...and are in the "natural talent" group that think knowledge is over-rated......end up losing $1555...I have ZERO remorse nor sympathy for them.
    FWIW, I got the recap of the 300's and 800's for the year, we had 30 -300's and 11 - 800's, One bowler had 8, 300 games and 4, 800 series, he bowls in and has won PBA events. Another bowler had 4, 300 games, and 2, 800 series.
    Take those 2 guys out of the mix and it doesn't look like all that outstanding.
    There were several high scores during one period and indeed a number of weeks with a 300, if averaged out for the year 32 weeks 30 300 games, an average of nearly one a week, take out the 2 big scoring guys, we are down to 18, closer to one every other week.
    That's 80 bowlers 32 week season.

Your knowledge argument sort of leans toward the absurd, eluding to the idea that with a high level of knowledge and very little natural talent that a person could be a top player, or due to knowing the difference between ball a and b that you deserve to score better than the other guy.
    Bowling might possibly give a little more weight to knowledge that some sports but you need to have talent and knowledge.
    Learn everything possible about basketball, would you then think, hey I can take on Labron in one on one, sure you can, and you'll be lucky to score a basket.

It's great that you've improved your game and continue to work on it, many other people are doing similar things with their game, boasting that you'll be 40 pins better bowling in the Midwest is simply appearing arrogant / over confident and setting yourself up to look like a fool when you don't succeed. (a pretty likely scenario) As a wise man once said better to keep your mouth shut and have them wonder if you're a fool than open your mouth and prove it to them.

It might be a better idea to keep the grandiose idea to yourself, and then when you find out you might be able to average 10 or 15 pins higher, a more attainable number, it looks like a pretty good accomplishment rather than a miserable failure. Just my .02

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast