Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A bowling misconception that knowledge should outweigh talent ?

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    Am i the only one amazed by rob's comments? Here is a man that touts his silver level credentials to the hilt as someone dedicated to the advancement of bowlers. And yet he insults 99.9 percent of the bowling population with his comments. What a ambassador for the sport we have here.

Anyone who's been on here for a while isn't. He assumes that when I said "not getting the point", I was talking about the "shut up and bowl". What I really meant was to remove the "and bowl" part. No one likes being talked down to, and that's what he does on here time and time again. This is just the first time I've been in his crosshairs. 1820, might be time to close this one......I'm not any better than Aslan is at keeping my thoughts to myself.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

It is a good topic for discussion minus the insulting of the house bowler which is the overwhelming population of the sport.

To address the original question of the thread: On tougher shots to perform at a higher level consistently you have both a greater degree of talent and knowledge. On house shot conditions i don't think a increased level of knowledge is required. But we all know this to be true. But does that make a high average house bowler who struggles on sport shots a crappy bowler? NO!!!!!! You are competing all the time no matter what the conditions are and the scoreboard does not lie. If a guy beats me on a house shot he was better that day. If i beat the same guy on a sport shot the next day i was better that day. Period.

Okay, let me clear up a few things here.

1) I am not insulting house bowlers. I am referring to house bowlers who don't realize the difference between what they do and what elite bowlers do. These bowlers are insulting the greatest athletes in our sport. Honestly, deep down most house bowlers realize their limitations which is why they usually refuse to bowl in any event that is planned using anything other than a house shot. There are a few, however, who really believe that they are on a par with the elite bowlers. These are the bowlers who are demeaning our sport.

2) Pete Weber is not the only bowler who is still bowling the tour because he has ball reps. I've seen many, many others who do the exact same thing. The difference is that Pete actually says he wouldn't be out there if not for the ball reps.

3) I was listed in the BJ list of 100 top coaches in 2013. Let me tell you how this works. You are "nominated" for inclusion by yourself or one of your students. Your students provide some input, and you provide the rest in terms of why you should be included. It seems to me that the demise of the Professional side of the sport in terms of earning potential may have had something to do with great bowlers choosing to become certified and applying for inclusion as a form of advertising for a new-found base of income. Their inclusion is a sad statement on the state of our sport.

Just to address one of the statements you just made: Who among that list of names that were included in the top 100 should not be there? And how do you know they are not capable of the level of your coaching talent? I will be very interested to know who's inclusion is a sad statement on the state of our sport. Please do tell.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Okay, let me clear up a few things here.

1) I am not insulting house bowlers. I am referring to house bowlers who don't realize the difference between what they do and what elite bowlers do. These bowlers are insulting the greatest athletes in our sport. Honestly, deep down most house bowlers realize their limitations which is why they usually refuse to bowl in any event that is planned using anything other than a house shot. There are a few, however, who really believe that they are on a par with the elite bowlers. These are the bowlers who are demeaning our sport.

2) Pete Weber is not the only bowler who is still bowling the tour because he has ball reps. I've seen many, many others who do the exact same thing. The difference is that Pete actually says he wouldn't be out there if not for the ball reps.

3) I was listed in the BJ list of 100 top coaches in 2013. Let me tell you how this works. You are "nominated" for inclusion by yourself or one of your students. Your students provide some input, and you provide the rest in terms of why you should be included. It seems to me that the demise of the Professional side of the sport in terms of earning potential may have had something to do with great bowlers choosing to become certified and applying for inclusion as a form of advertising for a new-found base of income. Their inclusion is a sad statement on the state of our sport.

Holding original quote
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Is knowledge more important then talent? I would say Talent CAN be more important then knowledge! I know Aslan has had Godzilla Amounts of lessons, by hundreds of coaches! Iceman Just ONE lesson. If I were to bowl Aslan with all his knowledge, against my raw, god gifted, Pure talent, and GOOD LOOKS, (It would be no contest, I would destroy him, again like I did last time)

Look around,,,, I am not saying coaching and knowledge are not important,,,,, Not at all,,,,,, but you can lead a donkey to water, but you can't make them drink it! I have seen Aslan bowl, and my GOD, what beautiful form he has, what a head full of knowledge! So why is he not bowling 700's,,, why have I had dozens and dozens of them! The answer is: ( Iceman is an Alien!) Its time I come out of the closet,,, yes there is a reason why my bowling Now is OUT OF THIS WORLD! Jason was NEVER The Alien,,, it was me, ICEMAN all along!

Raw, Alien out of this world talent, will always beat human knowledge, in regards to bowling, especially on Galactic Bowling Lanes! Was the Babe in baseball well coached or was it his raw talent? Have you seen film of him.. LOL Lot to be said in my opinon of taltent winning out over knowledge in regards to many sports!

For all the coaches... I do read a lot, Playboy and Penthouse, but I think its the talent not the magazines that gave me that 834, with back to back 300's!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 05-01-2017 at 12:33 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post

I never said that I could do what pros do. These people throw game after game, day in and day out. I bowling three games a week. But I will lump myself in with Michael to say that I'm gifted when it comes to this sport. I was out of league when the whole Sport Shot thing started around here, so I didn't have much of an opportunity to even try it. They had a Friday sport shot league here that I started practicing on the day after almost all summer before I came back two years ago, and I averaged (to the best of my memory) about 190 for those 8-10 weeks.

You're an elitist. You don't like when people tell you that they're just as good as you when you've got as many years experience as you do, and I get that. But, the fact that I don't realize my limitations is most likely why I bowl well. If I had you standing behind me as a coach, based on what I hear on here, I'm sure I'd think I wasn't up to bowling well at all.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    Just to address one of the statements you just made: Who among that list of names that were included in the top 100 should not be there? And how do you know they are not capable of the level of your coaching talent? I will be very interested to know who's inclusion is a sad statement on the state of our sport. Please do tell.
    I am not saying that these great bowlers should not be listed. I'm certainly not comparing their coaching talent to my own. I'm sure some of them are great coaches. My point is that it is sad that many of the top athletes in our sport have to focus on coaching to make a living because they can no longer earn a decent living by competing at a professional living. There is no full-time Tour, and the events that are left, even the majors pay so little that the number of bowlers who can earn enough even to survive by competing is pathetically small.

For some reason, my statements are often taken in a personal way, with many of you believing that I think that I am better than you are. I don't. As a bowling writer, it is my JOB to comment on the state of bowling at all levels. I am not an "elitist," whatever that is. I simply believe that bowling at the highest levels (Professional) is in serious trouble and is in danger of becoming extinct. Do I blame the existence of the THS for that? Yes, at least partially. But I do not blame the house bowler who is not aware of the differences in the game at the professional level for thinking that he can compete with the professionals because of the inflated average that he is able to maintain. I blame the USBC, the organization that has been entrusted with the responsibility for maintaining the integrity of the sport, for dropping the ball in terms of setting standards for lane conditions and for allowing bowling balls that have taken much of the athleticism out of the game and replaced it with the knowledge required to compete at the top levels of the game. What kind of audience would televised golf have if every weekend warrior could go out and shoot 65 at his home course?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast