Thread: bad-average bowler looking for some help

Default bad-average bowler looking for some help

Hey Guys,

I mostly bowl for fun and I'm not a particularly good bowler -- I'll fire anything from a 120 to a 185. Earlier this year I decided to try to pick up a stronger bowling ball. I ended up getting a good deal on a 15 lb. Roto Grip Dare Devil Trick and had it finger tip drilled locally. I like the ball -- I find it to be relatively consistent and I've thrown some decent games with it. However, I'm finding that I frequently have difficulty getting the ball back to the pocket. It's not that the ball doesn't hook or that it can't find the pocket, but rather that I'm finding it difficult to find a consistent line with it. Typically the line that works is lining up around 20-22 and throwing in between the fifth and sixth arrow, however quite frequently the ball simply won't hook enough to get back to the pocket. It seems like the ball gets outside and reads the mid lane late, and as a result hooks late. I know much of this can probably be attributed to my form, and I am trying to work on that, but I can't help but wonder whether I might be more successful with a different ball -- especially since I generally bowl at the same center and on the same pattern (which to my knowledge is a typical house pattern but seems more oily than most other house patterns I've bowled on). I wouldn't mind moving to something very strong and moving inside, I've also considered moving to a 16 lb ball as it seems my tendency is to overthrow. I'm thinking I either need a. something extremely strong, b. something that reads the lane much earlier than the DDT, or c. something that absolutely snaps on the back end.

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Price isn't that big of a factor -- although I certainly wouldn't mind buying a ball that's a few generations old if I can save some cash.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

FYI: boards and arrows are numberedright to left for right handed bowlers, left to right for lefties.

I suspect you actually line up on 18-20 and target between 2nd and 3rd arrows.
    John

While I'm always one to want a new ball you might want to try adjusting the line you're using, as John indicated it sounds like you are counting from left to right and are right handed.

The general rule when missing right is to move right, with either your feet / your mark / or both, depending on how far your ball is to the right how much to move in that direction.
    https://www.bowlingball.com/BowlVers...ne-conditions?

Cranker
    Chats: 0

IMO opinion if it sometimes gets back and sometimes doesn't, I would think your release ins't consistent
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

When a ball doesn't make it back to the pocket there are several possible reasons. I could easily come up with four different adjustments that don't involve getting using a different ball. Since you admit to being not particularly good as a bowler, I would recommend getting some coaching before getting another ball.

Disclaimer: I am a USBC certified coach and therefore have a bias toward recommending coaching over equipment.

p.s. As you improve you will have games where no matter what you do to get the ball in the pocket, it doesn't carry and you bounce back and forth between weak ten, 4 pin, bucket, 4-9 split, etc. This will be when you need an arsenal of strike balls to choose from.
    John

Chats: 2

For starters, the Trick is already a pretty aggressive ball. If you're playing 20-22 out to the 10 board (I'm assuming that's roughly where based on your description), and it's not coming back, my thoughts go to release. A lot of people think that spinning the ball will make it hook, which is actually the complete opposite. There are 3 phases of ball motion you want to see, skid, hook, and roll. The more you spin the ball, the less it will hook, as it will just want to skid. It's a weird physics thing that I'm sure someone can elaborate more on. The other option would be that, if you have a consistent release and it's still not hooking, you could be burning the ball up. There's a few different routes to go on that, from changing surface, to changing the line all together.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

I would start with something very simple like moving a board or two right at a time and see if it makes the difference