Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making First Bowling Ball Purchase- HELP!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    Thank you. At one point someone on here mentioned getting the Rhino in a solid, symmetric, non-polished resin. Is that a standard all shops should carry? THe balls we were looking at were of course colorful and shiny. I do remember them mentioning that they were "reactive". when I go in for the $120 balls should I ask for certain features? Should I hold them to a certain standard on drilling? For instance, is there some line I should be making sure they are drilling on one side or the other of?

Thanks,

Chris
    For a first ball, all you really need to ask for is an entry level reactive resin ball. That will generally translate to something with a symetric core and not terribly agressive solid coverstock. Whatever you get you can always sand or polish to tweak the reaction.

As for layout, unless they have demo balls that you could throw for the driller to find your PAP, you are going to get a generic layout. The important things are to get fit for a finger tip grip and to make sure the fit is right. You can propably find several threads here to help determine if the fit is good.
    Last edited by J Anderson; 05-01-2017 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    Thank you. At one point someone on here mentioned getting the Rhino in a solid, symmetric, non-polished resin. Is that a standard all shops should carry? THe balls we were looking at were of course colorful and shiny. I do remember them mentioning that they were "reactive". when I go in for the $120 balls should I ask for certain features? Should I hold them to a certain standard on drilling? For instance, is there some line I should be making sure they are drilling on one side or the other of?

Thanks,

Chris
    There are other series of balls in that range that are popular in addition to the Rhino series
    Columbia Scout
    Storm Tropical Breeze / Tropical Strom
    900 Global Boost

Also popular / might be in the next level up
    Ebonite Cyclone
    Roto-Grip Hustle
    Storm Match

Most of the pro shop operators I've known, are familiar with all the local lanes and will suggest what they see working for their customers where you bowl.
    It sounds like your pro shop #1 guy is that kind of guy, and offers a nice package deal.

Personally I've been pretty happy with balls suggested by the PSO's I have dealt with, so I wouldn't be afraid to go with what they are suggesting.

Most of the balls in the category will be reactive, the others urethanes / plastic they would probably not suggest for a new bowler.

Click on the shop icon at the top of the screen , then go to balls / entry performance and that should show some of the balls your PSO was suggesting. You can also go to Balls/ performance and see some more ( these might be considered the next step up).
    Good Luck

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    There are other series of balls in that range that are popular in addition to the Rhino series
    Columbia Scout
    Storm Tropical Breeze / Tropical Strom
    900 Global Boost

Also popular / might be in the next level up
    Ebonite Cyclone
    Roto-Grip Hustle
    Storm Match
    With the exception of the Rotogrip Hustle and Storm Match....all of Tony's other recommendations are exactly what I'd suggest. The Tropical Breeze is a VERY common entry-level ball. The Ebonite Cyclone is probably the BEST bang for your buck at the entry level...the anchor on my Tuesday team throws an Ebonite Cyclone and averages over 200 with it. And the 900 Global Boost is quickly becoming one of the better entry level balls on the market. And the DV8 Diva series is also a solid entry-level series with a good deal of perforamance...but a little pricier than the other options.

I'm not as impressed with Hammer, Columbia300, Track, Radical, or Motiv in terms of their entry-level stuff. If I HAD to pick one of them...the Columbia300 Scout reactive is probably the best from that group. And I wouldn't recommend Motiv to anyone under any circumstances....not only because of their questionable business ethics...but their entry-level stuff is lackluster and you're going to pay a premium in $$ just for the Motiv name. I also wouldn't recommend Rotogrip....just because I actually recommended the Rotogrip Wrecker to a friend of mine when he purchased his first ball...and that ball was HORRIBLE.

I personally like Radical/Brunswick...and you can't go wrong with the Danger Zone or the Rhino series...maybe a little pricier for a first time ball purchase...but probably more performance than the other choices without being "too much" performance.

To be honest...if I was a newbie and could buy ANY ball on the market to learn with and get better...it would be "hands down" the Storm Hy Road. It's probably the most successful ball of the last 5 years, it has a relatively low price point, and you definitely won't outgrow it in the ball's lifespan. I haven't heard ONE bad comment about the Hy Road and it's the longest running bowling ball currently available...by a wide margin.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Cranker
    Chats: 0

The Ebonite Cyclone is an excellent ball. Diana Zavjalova won the USBC Queens throwing the Cyclone a few years back.

get the cheapest entry level reactive ball he has , u r gunna get a higher end ball at the end of league when u know alot more about the sport

When I was shopping for my first ball, the owner, a house pro whom I had known in the past, suggested that I just buy a plastic ball and get out there on the lanes and have fun relearning the basics before worrying too much about ball reaction. I'm beginning to think he was right. Gotta get your steps, swing and timing down before you begin to worry about revs. Plus you can use the plastic ball as your spare ball later on as you're building an arsenal.
    Last edited by rv driver; 06-17-2017 at 10:45 PM.
    DV8 Red/Orange Misfit, Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Pyramid Blood Moon

The only problem with starting with a plastic ball is it'll be harder to see the results as your release improves.

Bad Release = ball goes straight

Good Release = ball goes straight

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    The only problem with starting with a plastic ball is it'll be harder to see the results as your release improves.

Bad Release = ball goes straight

Good Release = ball goes straight
    That's true enough, however, I think by the time you begin thinking "release," you'd have the other basics down and would be ready for a reactive ball. I did go ahead and buy a reactive ball first, so obviously I didn't heed his advice. But good point, man!

Quote Originally Posted by rv driver View Post
    That's true enough, however, I think by the time you begin thinking "release," you'd have the other basics down and would be ready for a reactive ball. I did go ahead and buy a reactive ball first, so obviously I didn't heed his advice. But good point, man!
    Don't get me wrong...I'd rather new bowlers follow the plastic ball advice than go out and buy some pro performance assymetric core monster. Especially the older, slower speed bowlers. I've seen more than one example of an old timer with a suitcase release who is frustrated beyond frustrated because his new high-end ball can't stay right of the headpin when thrown 8mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Don't get me wrong...I'd rather new bowlers follow the plastic ball advice than go out and buy some pro performance assymetric core monster. Especially the older, slower speed bowlers. I've seen more than one example of an old timer with a suitcase release who is frustrated beyond frustrated because his new high-end ball can't stay right of the headpin when thrown 8mph.
    Plus, most beginners will play on a lighter-oil, THS condition, which isn't a good match for the hook monsters. My first ball was a DV8 Misfit red, which was as much ball as anyone would want as a beginner on the house shots in my area. That ball works really well for me still.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast