Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making First Bowling Ball Purchase- HELP!!!

Default Making First Bowling Ball Purchase- HELP!!!

I thought this would be more simple. This is my first bowling ball purchase and I want to spend my hard earned money the right way. I'm athletic and can learn technique quickly. Thus being said, I am not going pro any time soon. I just want to make the correct purchase. *my experience at two shops so far* One "Pro" in town (has over 40 -300 games and 20 -800 series) seemed knowledgeable and guided me to the $120-$130 price point (rhino or something similar), explaining the next level was for when I knew my lanes and throwing style otherwise I may lose control of my ball and not have picked one with the correct style of weight in the core. The other PRO (actually was on the pro tour 5 years with 9 PBA championships) didn't seem to think I needed to stay at that price point to start but maybe go "up a level". I'm over thinking it maybe but just do not know what to do. I do want to and can throw a hook. Will also be purchasing a 15# ball. Same situation for my girlfriend other than she will throw a 12# ball.

Any advice from anyone very knowledgeable would be greatly appreciated!!

Chris

The Rhino line is great for entry level, but also ones that a pro can use as well, and with the proper drilling it will be great on house shots (league nights).
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Chats: 0

Without going into brands, get a $120 ball, solid, symmetric, non-polished resin.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

One consideration might be if you are getting the ball for open bowling or will you be joining a league and using it there.

Depending on the area centers they are less likely to have fresh oil down for open bowling and a higher end ball could indeed be too much for the lane condition.
    If you are planning to use it for league bowling and they put down fresh oil for leagues you might be Ok with the higher end ball.

One way to look at it is if you only buy the one ball and use it for open bowling the 120 ball will be fine, if you bowl leagues you will need the 120 ball as one of a couple or several balls for different conditions as you progress, so the 120 ball is a good place to begin.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    I thought this would be more simple. This is my first bowling ball purchase and I want to spend my hard earned money the right way. I'm athletic and can learn technique quickly. Thus being said, I am not going pro any time soon.

I just want to make the correct purchase. *my experience at two shops so far* One "Pro" in town (has over 40 -300 games and 20 -800 series) seemed knowledgeable and guided me to the $120-$130 price point (rhino or something similar), explaining the next level was for when I knew my lanes and throwing style otherwise I may lose control of my ball and not have picked one with the correct style of weight in the core.
    The other PRO (actually was on the pro tour 5 years with 9 PBA championships) didn't seem to think I needed to stay at that price point to start but maybe go "up a level". I'm over thinking it maybe but just do not know what to do. I do want to and can throw a hook. Will also be purchasing a 15# ball. Same situation for my girlfriend other than she will throw a 12# ball.
    Any advice from anyone very knowledgeable would be greatly appreciated!!

Chris
    Of the two pro-shops, Number one IMO gave the best answer. It's a conservative approach looking ahead.

If your just starting out no sense breaking the bank and using a more expensive high performance (Not that low cost means low performance) ball. That might not suit your game after it develops.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post

Of the two pro-shops, Number one IMO gave the best answer. It's a conservative approach looking ahead.

If your just starting out no sense breaking the bank and using a more expensive high performance (Not that low cost means low performance) ball. That might not suit your game after it develops.
    And don't forget, that, with the Rhino line, you can make changes later on to perform even better, whether it's drilling, surface or both.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I agree with Pro #1. Buy the mid range ball concentrate on technique and learn how to bowl, then you can upgrade to a stronger ball if needed.

Thank you all for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated. Just a couple more things to add and answer a few of the questions back to me. We are going to be bowling league, 9 pin to start and then will get into regular league play. Pro shop #1 also holds a 14 week league at several of the local lanes which is $20/week. The kicker, that includes for the price free 30 min lessons each week prior to league play and also a free ball of the next level. Sounds hard to not go through him with $120 option and then join his league next time around.

Pro shop #2 apparently has more inventory and holds many close out balls of higher value that he is able to sell at a better price point.

* 1VegasBowler, can you elaborate on the Rhino upgrades? Nobody mentioned that to us.

thanks again, all!!!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    Thank you all for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated. Just a couple more things to add and answer a few of the questions back to me. We are going to be bowling league, 9 pin to start and then will get into regular league play. Pro shop #1 also holds a 14 week league at several of the local lanes which is $20/week. The kicker, that includes for the price free 30 min lessons each week prior to league play and also a free ball of the next level. Sounds hard to not go through him with $120 option and then join his league next time around.
    That just makes it even better

Pro shop #2 apparently has more inventory and holds many close out balls of higher value that he is able to sell at a better price point.
    This shop would be a option later on when looking for a good deal on a high end ball.

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    And don't forget, that, with the Rhino line, you can make changes later on to perform even better, whether it's drilling, surface or both.
    * 1VegasBowler, can you elaborate on the Rhino upgrades? Nobody mentioned that to us.

thanks again, all!!!
    "Upgrades" like Drilling's (ie:Layout changes) and surface changes are not exclusive to the "Rhino" line, they can be done on any ball.

In fact surface changes you can do yourself, with sandpaper. abralon pads, etc. and there's numerous posts about doing it.

Last edited by bowl1820; 05-01-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Thank you. At one point someone on here mentioned getting the Rhino in a solid, symmetric, non-polished resin. Is that a standard all shops should carry? THe balls we were looking at were of course colorful and shiny. I do remember them mentioning that they were "reactive". when I go in for the $120 balls should I ask for certain features? Should I hold them to a certain standard on drilling? For instance, is there some line I should be making sure they are drilling on one side or the other of?

Thanks,

Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast