Where to begin the review of this highly anticipated release. The need for a medium heavy oil ball with a pearl cover stock and low RG is a must in my opinion. The reality of the day is we are seeing more and more oil and longer patterns. So how do we control the break point without having a ball that over reads the mid lane. The answer to this is the United.
My initial opinion of this ball is well, truly amazing. There have been a few pieces over the years that have transcended and lived a life of there own. The Sigma Tour, Original Primal Rage and the Venom Shock come to mind. So does this ball fit in the conversation of truly transcendent equipment? Only time will tell.
First thing I noticed about the United was the amazing color combination. The next thing I noticed was the Cover, the cover has a different feel to the cover. The feel isn't like most shinny pearl, there is a texture to cover. The United has a great core/cover combination. The Low Rg core and the strong pearl cover combine to get what I feel is the signature Motiv Roll. The heavy roll, mid lane control and break point movement. This roll is what brought me to Motiv in the first place and the roll I truly love. This roll is a wonderful blend of control and skid flip.
I drilled this ball with 55 X 4.75 x 60 lay out P3 motion hole placement. The lay out design for myself was to keep the ball controllable, yet be able to stand in the puddle and use the bump. What I have found thus far is the need for some wax in the front part of the lane in order to get the United to the spot down lane. Without wax in the front the ball will burn up and not finish as well. I am really excited to see how this ball transitions over time and can not wait to see how this ball stacks up against some of the aforementioned greats.

Clayton Mohr
Motiv Staff