Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do "sponsorships" work?

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    If I can stay as consistent as I've been of late for 2-3 more years, I've been thinking of trying a few PBA50 events. I know I haven't got a shot in hell of winning one, but you don't get anywhere without trying.
    Amen to that!!
    In my bag: DV8 TWB (plastic), Vintage Danger Zone, Storm Crux and 900 Global Chemical X.
    PAP: 4" over, 1/4" up. Weight: 14 lbs.
    High Game: 254. High Series: 673.
    2016-17 Orange County, CA USBC Open Tournament Champion, Team and All Events.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I originally would have agreed with you...but based on the PBA50 tournaments I've been watching...it seems like every single bowler is sponsored by a ball manufacturer...and I haven't heard of like over 3/4 of the field at some of the tour stops. Like, if you're a PBA50 guy in Florida...and you bowl 2-3 PBA50 events a year...with no titles...it just seems odd to me that the bowling ball company would continue to sponsor you. I could see them signing you as a ball rep/distributor...if you have a pro shop...but then again, that's why I asked the question. Maybe some of the "deals" are so minor...that it's just essentially, "Here. Wear our patch, throw our equipment, and we'll give you a discount on shipping costs when you buy your next arsenal."

Well, thanks for the contribution. I know it's a difficult topic for sponsored guys to address given the secrecy of the agreements. Bowling is a tough sport to assess....whether it's the financial state of affairs, manufacturer sales numbers, or sponsorship details.

I'd have no problem with the conditions you kinda described. I mean, if someone wants to sponsor my entry fee in a tournament...I'll bowl in any tournament they want! Wanna see me finish last at the WSOB? I'll pay the travel costs...no problem. Add in a discount on bowling balls....I'll be happy to exclusively throw that brand. Granted....it'd suck if it was Rotogrip given I can't seem to get those balls to work for me....but I'm not really in the "sponsorship market" currently, so it's neither here nor there. I doubt even the highest level college bowlers honestly think they are gonna graduate and get a "Pete Weber deal"...nor should they IMO. Besides, when I watched the last college tournament...it looks like the major college teams are sponsored by certain brands anyway...which probably leads to alot of those college players continuing to be sponsored by the same brand when they graduate.
    When we had the PBA Super Seniors & Senior Master here last year, there weren't a lot of them that had a sponsorship.

I do now that some sponsorships are not so much based on a person that can consistently bowl in the 220's+, but they are great reps for the company in helping get the name out there. I guess you can call it being an ambassador for the company, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

It is quite difficult to speak of the perks, and I understand the why's and wherefore's. There are many out there that will stay with a particular company no matter what somebody else may offer.

When you think of people like Petraglia, Sr., or PDW, or WRW, or anybody that' in that neighborhood, there is no way they're going to change to somebody else. There is no way that these guys are going to have to have all new equipment drilled to see how it's going to work for them. Far too unrealistic.

In the case of Tommy Jones, I can only guess what made him go to Ebonite. While it certainly has something to do with money, there has to be something else that made him want to switch, and you have to wonder what it could have been, because how often do you see things like that happen??

I'm glad I was able to contribute to this with what little I could.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

I originally would have agreed with you...but based on the PBA50 tournaments I've been watching...it seems like every single bowler is sponsored by a ball manufacturer...and I haven't heard of like over 3/4 of the field at some of the tour stops. Like, if you're a PBA50 guy in Florida...and you bowl 2-3 PBA50 events a year...with no titles...it just seems odd to me that the bowling ball company would continue to sponsor you. I could see them signing you as a ball rep/distributor...if you have a pro shop...but then again, that's why I asked the question. Maybe some of the "deals" are so minor...that it's just essentially, "Here. Wear our patch, throw our equipment, and we'll give you a discount on shipping costs when you buy your next arsenal."

Well, thanks for the contribution. I know it's a difficult topic for sponsored guys to address given the secrecy of the agreements. Bowling is a tough sport to assess....whether it's the financial state of affairs, manufacturer sales numbers, or sponsorship details.
    Out of respect for my friends I won't disclose any numbers but let me put it this way. Those guys you don't know bowling PBA 50 events "sponsorship" is small enough that it's not costing the manufacturer anything. It also does not cover tournament fees at least from the ones I know personally.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Out of respect for my friends I won't disclose any numbers but let me put it this way. Those guys you don't know bowling PBA 50 events "sponsorship" is small enough that it's not costing the manufacturer anything. It also does not cover tournament fees at least from the ones I know personally.
    That is absolutely correct. All of it depends on who you are.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    When we had the PBA Super Seniors & Senior Master here last year, there weren't a lot of them that had a sponsorship.

I do now that some sponsorships are not so much based on a person that can consistently bowl in the 220's+, but they are great reps for the company in helping get the name out there. I guess you can call it being an ambassador for the company, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

It is quite difficult to speak of the perks, and I understand the why's and wherefore's. There are many out there that will stay with a particular company no matter what somebody else may offer.

When you think of people like Petraglia, Sr., or PDW, or WRW, or anybody that' in that neighborhood, there is no way they're going to change to somebody else. There is no way that these guys are going to have to have all new equipment drilled to see how it's going to work for them. Far too unrealistic.

In the case of Tommy Jones, I can only guess what made him go to Ebonite. While it certainly has something to do with money, there has to be something else that made him want to switch, and you have to wonder what it could have been, because how often do you see things like that happen??

I'm glad I was able to contribute to this with what little I could.
    Brunswick seems to be a family once your part of it your in it for life in most instances. I know that's not the case with Storm/Roto and some others. I don't have access to the ebonite world but I've heard they are similar although not to the same extent. It amazes me the access the Brunswick people have after being off tour for thirty years or more still have. In many ways that access is more valuable than any discount on the balls or perks.

Current arsenal

Brunswick seems to be a family once your part of it your in it for life in most instances. I know that's not the case with Storm/Roto and some others. I don't have access to the ebonite world but I've heard they are similar although not to the same extent. It amazes me the access the Brunswick people have after being off tour for thirty years or more still have. In many ways that access is more valuable than any discount on the balls or perks.
    Brunswick is a family in so many ways.

There are many people beyond the pros that I know who are staffers with Brunswick, DV8 & Radical here in Vegas, and becoming friends with them and the pros has been such an honor.

I've been posting my post-op progress on facebook, along with my scores, and when people like Chuck on the Truck, Sean Rash, Jon Van Hees and so many others not only like your posts but speak with you in public and in private is amazing. Even in person, when they come up to you, shake you hand and can chew the fat for a few minutes, you always feel that you are on the same level as they are because you are a part of the family.

I am far from being at the bowling level with any of them, but they are great people and I am certainly proud to be a part of them.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

For some it's about the money/perks. Take Tom D for example. He was offered a new contract with Storm, but he thought he was worth more than they were offering. Ended up signing with Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxBowlingGuy View Post
    For some it's about the money/perks. Take Tom D for example. He was offered a new contract with Storm, but he thought he was worth more than they were offering. Ended up signing with Hammer.
    At top end of the food chain I have no doubt about it the money plays a big part. We were discussing more the low end guys

Current arsenal

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

At top end of the food chain I have no doubt about it the money plays a big part. We were discussing more the low end guys
    That was more so replying to this...

Chats: 204

The biggest surprise to me was when Chris Barnes left Columbia for 900 Global.

Barnes was pretty much the premier bowler for Columbia300...I'm sure he had a good relationship with them and his teammates...he had the Mark Baker/Camp relationship...and his wife as well. And then...boom...900 Global goes from being a non-PBA ball company to a PBA ball company...and somehow they snagged Columbia's biggest name (and one of EBI's biggest names). I was pretty shocked when I saw that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast