Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do "sponsorships" work?

Chats: 204

Question How do "sponsorships" work?

This is just a question...I have no idea how they work.

I'm not going to bother adding my opinions anymore...I'll just post my scores and if I have a question where I have no opinion on the matter, I'll ask the experts here for an explanation.

And I'm CERTAINLY not asking this question because I'm thinking about being sponsored...unless the PBA has an approved sponser such as "peoplewhobowllike*h*t.com"...which I doubt even exists. I've just been watching a lot of XTraFrame action...and it seems like almost every bowler at the PBA, PWBA, PBA50, PBA Regionals...almost all of them are sponsored by one manufacturer or another...and I guess I always thought that sponsorships were less common than they apparently are...so I'm curious.

Other questions:

- How does it work? If someone like VDub or mcrunner or TimmyB is bowling a tournament...and they aren't sponsored....do ball reps walk up and offer them a sponsorship? Or is it the opposite...where you have to search them out and apply?

- It seems like even non-sponsored (by ball manufacturs) bowlers have a Turbo or VICE sponsorship...is it just really "easy" to get those sponsorships (vs ball manufacturers)? If so, what do VICE or Turbo actually give the bowler they sponsor? Discounts on inserts? Free inserts?

- Are there "levels" of sponsorship? Like, I think VegasBowler1 is sponsored by Brunswick...does he have the same "deal" as Walter Ray Williams or Sean Rash? Or are there "levels"? Or is it like other professional sports where each bowler has a different contract?

- What about other sponsors? Like, WRW has the Ford Driving Skills on his jersey...and some other bowlers (usually the more elite ones from what I've seen) have other companies on their jerseys. Does the PBA have to approve those sponsorships? I have to think, with the PBA rulebook so focused on image, that they would have rules to keep bowlers from being sponsored by "questionable" entities (like "Hustler Magazine" or something like that). I seem to recall that bowlers can only wear Dexter shoes and throw PBA sponsored ball manufacturer equipment...so I'm assuming a bowler can't have something like "Lane #1" or "Pyramid" on their jersey. Or, can they have that on their jersey...they just can't use that equipment (because the manufacturer didn't pay the PBA fee)?

- Do sponsored bowlers have other commitments? Like, do they have to show up at certain marketing events or ball demos or appear in advertising or take part in clinics? Or does it vary based on the type of sponsorship/contract (concerning "levels" question above)?

I know this was brought up before...maybe 2-3 years ago...but I didn't really participate much in that thread. From what I recall (and this could be totally wrong)...a ball manufacturer usually gives you a discount on equipment, maybe pays all or part of your entry fees into tournaments, and the bowler pays the entry fees back out of their winnings (if they cash). If the sponsored bowler doesn't cash...the ball manufacturer is out the money. But, if the bowler finishes last at a tournament in Georgia...then first in a tournament in North Carolina...do they have to pay BOTH entry fees back...like a running tab? Or is it just a tournament-by-tournament thing? Like I said; I'm just curious how the whole thing works.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I seem to recall that bowlers can only wear Dexter shoes and throw PBA sponsored ball manufacturer equipment...so I'm assuming a bowler can't have something like "Lane #1" or "Pyramid" on their jersey. Or, can they have that on their jersey...they just can't use that equipment (because the manufacturer didn't pay the PBA fee)?
    As for the PBA

basically If the company doesn't pay the fee and register the product (balls, accessories, logos), you can't use it in PBA competition.

Excerpt from PBA Rules: Guidelines for Registered Products.

Use of Non-Registered Bowling Products. Competitors may not use any nonregistered bowling-related product in PBA competition unless special exceptions have been approved by the PBA.
    PENALTY: Bowling Conduct Violation - $250 and the product must be removed

Use of Non-Registered Bowling Balls. Competitors may not use a ball that has not been registered and cleared by the PBA during competition.
    PENALTY: PBA Code of Ethics Violation - Disqualification
    Last edited by bowl1820; 05-07-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

That's pretty much how I read it as well. I'm assuming things like WRW's Ford Driving Skills thing must be something that the PBA must have given him special approval for. I wonder what the criteria is that they (PBA) use for those special exemptions. I know Rob Johnson from Laneside Reviews bowled the WSOB a couple years back...I wonder if he was able to have "Landside Reviews" on his jersey. The PBA rules/regulations allow members to have their pro shops on their jerseys...but I didn't see anything else in the rules other than allowing members to wear their countries flag...everything else I imagine you need special permission...especially if it's not a company that pays a PBA fee. And from the discussion a couple years back, when we were talking about whether Pyramid would consider registering with the PBA...I recall the bowling ball manufacturer registration cost/fee was pretty significant.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

1) will they seek you or do you seek them...

It depends... you can always apply to a Ball company (or anyone who has a staff program). When you get higher up to the PBA ranks or even high level amateur, they will seek you. Someone to stay with a company really boils down to which company has more to offer. Take Tom D for example. Storm offered to renew his contract, but hammer offered more. He went to hammer.

2) Turbo/Vise

These are similar to Ball companies but usually don't come with as many "perks" although I have heard that Ultimate was paying as much as some Ball contracts were to get some of the top players. If you're in a proshop you can get on with any of the grip companies fairly easy as they want you to sell their grips. For a amateur sponsored by a grip company usually gets something along the times of so many sets of grips/slugs free and then discounts after that.

3) level of sponsorship

There are certainly different levels and each level having different perks. The touring guys pretty much get anything they need to perform the job (balls). They also get paid from the manufacturer. Each contract will vary player to player. When you start to get lower in the ranks the contracts start to get more similar. Some give x number of balls a year and the rest at a discount, some give one of each new release and they all usually allow for additional purchases at a discounted price.

4) other commitments

Most certainly. You are the face of the company on the front lines. Usually you'd assist with Ball demos, clinics, guest appearances at events sponsored by the company, etc.

Chats: 32

Our Proshop has a big connection from Brunswick so I see some of their sponsorships handed out and there are different levels. The Proshop owner was a PBA tour bowler sponsored by Brunswick and we've got a 2 senior PBA tour bowlers, 2 WPBA bowlers, one high level amateur, and a they just picked up a guy that competes in wheel chair bowling last week all sponsored by Brunswick. As far as I can tell all the contracts are a little different some get a limited amount free and a discount some just a discount and all of them have rules on what they can wear and of course do.

The other proshop in the area signed a big deal with storm that apparently came with 2 sponsorships the proshop could basically hand out from what I've been told. I'm not sure what they got but I know it came with a minimum amount of equipment the proshop had to sell.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    And from the discussion a couple years back, when we were talking about whether Pyramid would consider registering with the PBA...I recall the bowling ball manufacturer registration cost/fee was pretty significant.
    I talked to Pyramid about this when they first got up and going. Basically, if they were to do so, the price of their balls would jump 20-30%, which just wasn't ideal for a "bowler's company". There's a few reps around here. Basically, they don't get the same treatment that a national rep would get. A buddy of mine actually calls them "puppets", as they have to do whatever the manufacture wants them to do lol. For instance, there is a girl in WY that is a Brunswick rep. She gets a few balls here and there, usually at an extremely discounted price. In turn, she plugs Brunswick in just about every FB post she makes. Drives me crazy. Another guy in state has been a Rotogrip rep for years now. He doesn't do the whole puppet thing, but he does provide feedback for them. He has to keep track of what ball he is throwing, on what pattern, what it's doing, etc. and report it back. He also has to bowl x amount of tourneys a year, including certain tourneys they say he has to bowl. Still kind of a puppet in my opinion. While it would be awesome to get free or discounted equipment, I don't think I'd want to be a puppet
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    The other proshop in the area signed a big deal with storm that apparently came with 2 sponsorships the proshop could basically hand out from what I've been told. I'm not sure what they got but I know it came with a minimum amount of equipment the proshop had to sell.
    Sometimes pro shops/distributers have deals with ball companies that aren't really sponsorships per se. I'm not referencing your situation...but I know Ebonite International has a very aggressive marketing system where they essentially try to make your pro shop offer nothing but EBI brands by lowering their prices the more you sell of their product. I think all of the companies do similar things...but I remember people saying EBI was particularly aggressive.

For actual Tour bowlers with actual sponsorships by the ball comapnies...I don't think they are "allowed" to sell other brands at their shops. But I don't know that for sure. I know it was really annoying a couple years ago...when Storm was just dominating the market...because many pro shops I went to didn't even bother stocking other brands. I've been a big Storm fan...I think their balls are a bit over-priced and tend to chip/crack more than other brands. Plus...some of the "fragarances" make me want to puke. Then, other shops around here...they only sell EBI (Columbia, Track, Hammer, Ebonite) because the pro shop owner is a PBA pro or former PBA pro sponsored by EBI.

Before the Jackal fiasco...I saw some of the primarily Storm/Rotogrip shops start to stock primarily Motiv equipment...not as much now.

Personally, I think the aggressive marketing plans of the ball companies is one of the reasons online sales are so much higher than pro shop sales. People want "choice"...and if they want to buy a ball...and their local pro shop refuses to carry more than one brand/company...they aren't gonna drive 45 minutes to a center looking for a pro shop that sells a different brands. Most of the pro shops around here that only sell one brand...they are virtually empty most days/nights...other than drilling/maintenance activities. The one shop I know of that stocks all brands...there's usually a line of 3-4 customers during league night....and I bet they sell at least 2 balls a night during busy league nights.

But, thats just what I've seen/noticed around here.

The insert issue makes it even worse. I wanted to give business to a local pro shop for my ball drilling...but he only did Turbo...and I already had VICE inserts...which essentially rules him out for ever drilling a ball for me. Kinda sad really.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

In my case, Brunswick was scouting me and we had quite a few conversations as to what my bowling plans were, and I had to give them a rundown of everything I had planned for the remainder of the year and for this year. This included the possibility of having my knee replaced sometime in 2017.

While I cannot discuss any real particulars about our agreement (nobody else can as well), I can assure you that I have nothing even close to what WRW, Johnny Petraglia, Sr., Parker Bohn, Sean Rash have, and I certainly did not expect to either.

What I can tell you, is, there are certain things I must abide by. 1) Exclusivity. I can only use Brunswick, DV8 & Radical equipment (standard for any bowler under an agreement). 2) Dress code. Whenever I am representing Brunswick, I have to be dressed appropriately, whether if it's bowling in any league or tournament, or any demo. Slacks, dress shoes, etc. 3) Non Disclosure. No matter who it is, we can't discuss anything financially related to our agreement.

When I spoke to them a few months ago about my surgery, they were going to strongly suggest that I participate in leagues that are much more difficult than most of the mixed leagues. But they eased up on that because of the recovery time and said to bowl whatever I wanted to bowl in 17-18. My rehab and getting back to form physically was much more important than having to bowl in scratch leagues.

But they are also hoping that I can get into a PBA or PBA 50 tournament by the end of the year, and for certain next year.

All of you know how proud I am to be a part of #TeamBrunswick. I stay in touch with Chuck Gardner (Chuck on the Truck), Sean Rash, Jon Van Hees and quite a few others. They have become very good friends of mine, and their encouragement during my recovery has been awesome!

I have to throw some bones to Rob Johnson and Scoops Porter at Lane Side Reviews as well. As I am their Las Vegas representative, I do whatever I can for them, and they have been awesome as well during my recovery.

As far as getting a sponsorship, they aren't all that easy. And if you're luck enough to get offered one, jump on it. They are few and far between, and while you might not be offered much of anything, take what they're giving because any step is a good step.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    All of you know how proud I am to be a part of #TeamBrunswick. I stay in touch with Chuck Gardner (Chuck on the Truck), Sean Rash, Jon Van Hees and quite a few others. They have become very good friends of mine, and their encouragement during my recovery has been awesome!
    I bowled a Pro Am with Sean...he was quite the character. My daughter was 10 or 11 at the time and, even though she wouldn't admit it and referred to him as "that weird guy that kept talking to me"...you could tell she was a little smitten with him.

I have to throw some bones to Rob Johnson and Scoops Porter at Lane Side Reviews as well. As I am their Las Vegas representative, I do whatever I can for them, and they have been awesome as well during my recovery.
    One of the video review sites I frequent. I can't say their reviews are any better than any other site...the same ole "strike, strike, strike"...."we LOVE this ball....etc..." But they do a pretty good job and have good production value.

As far as getting a sponsorship, they aren't all that easy. And if you're luck enough to get offered one, jump on it. They are few and far between, and while you might not be offered much of anything, take what they're giving because any step is a good step.
    I originally would have agreed with you...but based on the PBA50 tournaments I've been watching...it seems like every single bowler is sponsored by a ball manufacturer...and I haven't heard of like over 3/4 of the field at some of the tour stops. Like, if you're a PBA50 guy in Florida...and you bowl 2-3 PBA50 events a year...with no titles...it just seems odd to me that the bowling ball company would continue to sponsor you. I could see them signing you as a ball rep/distributor...if you have a pro shop...but then again, that's why I asked the question. Maybe some of the "deals" are so minor...that it's just essentially, "Here. Wear our patch, throw our equipment, and we'll give you a discount on shipping costs when you buy your next arsenal."

Well, thanks for the contribution. I know it's a difficult topic for sponsored guys to address given the secrecy of the agreements. Bowling is a tough sport to assess....whether it's the financial state of affairs, manufacturer sales numbers, or sponsorship details.

I'd have no problem with the conditions you kinda described. I mean, if someone wants to sponsor my entry fee in a tournament...I'll bowl in any tournament they want! Wanna see me finish last at the WSOB? I'll pay the travel costs...no problem. Add in a discount on bowling balls....I'll be happy to exclusively throw that brand. Granted....it'd suck if it was Rotogrip given I can't seem to get those balls to work for me....but I'm not really in the "sponsorship market" currently, so it's neither here nor there. I doubt even the highest level college bowlers honestly think they are gonna graduate and get a "Pete Weber deal"...nor should they IMO. Besides, when I watched the last college tournament...it looks like the major college teams are sponsored by certain brands anyway...which probably leads to alot of those college players continuing to be sponsored by the same brand when they graduate.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

If I can stay as consistent as I've been of late for 2-3 more years, I've been thinking of trying a few PBA50 events. I know I haven't got a shot in hell of winning one, but you don't get anywhere without trying.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast