Thread: Changing Balls as you Move deeper

Default Changing Balls as you Move deeper

I'm a high track/low tilt bowler that usually starts around 3rd arrow out to a break point of 10 down lane on a typical league night. After some experimenting I found that a Low RG Medium Differential Solid (Motiv venom shock)give me the widest pocket and best carry early, at my House. (Lanes have two types of synthetics.. a higher friction in the first half of the lane and lower friction in the back half of the lane)). I can usually go about 2 games over moving left until I start running into trouble. The Shock doesn't seem to push far enough to the breakpoint to make room for the back-end hook so I'm constantly going high or brooklyn. Until I get so steep through the front that its DOA if it can climb back to the pocket.

My game 3 has been awful. I normally switch to a Venom Cobra which is a Hybrid Polished version of essentially the same core. This gets to the breakpoint but is too violent on the back end and leads to a flurry of 4 pins and splits on what I feel are good shots. Then comes in very weak on bad shots. The same can be said for my Primal Rage which is a higher RG Higher Diff Pearl. Last night I went against my conventional move of "Balling down" and "Balled up" to a Primal Rage Remix. (Higher RG Higher Diff.. but more aggressive coverstock) and I seemed to get a good look with a controllable back end and great carry.

Have I been thinking about ball changing as the lanes dry up completely backwards? Should I be balling up as I move left on a THS instead of "Balling down"?

Any advice?

A few months ago I wrote an article for BTM that addresses this very subject. I too am a high track, low tilt bowler, and I usually ball up as I move left, not down. The meat of the article entitled, "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" is that we all have a limit to how far we can move in and still stay comfortable. What I recommend is balling up as you move left until you reach the limit of your comfort zone and then stay there and start balling down to in order to be able to. Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    A few months ago I wrote an article for BTM that addresses this very subject. I too am a high track, low tilt bowler, and I usually ball up as I move left, not down. The meat of the article entitled, "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" is that we all have a limit to how far we can move in and still stay comfortable. What I recommend is balling up as you move left until you reach the limit of your comfort zone and then stay there and start balling down to in order to be able to. Make sense?
    Perfect sense.. Thanks Rob.

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    That's some great advice honestly. I usually end up going to something strong and polished once I move inside, and then usually switch to something that is solid. It just depends on what I see the reaction doing. I've been getting better about reading the reaction and seeing how the ball goes through the pins (something I stopped doing years ago for some reason). It's helping out quite a bit
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands