Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 15 for 15 Sport Challenge League 2017 ( Bowl1820's scores)

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I average 195 and I don't plan on testing myself in a sport shot league until I can average 223 or higher.
    The reason to bowl on a sport shot league, is to learn and improve. You don't need a high average to do that.

I finished this last season with one of the lowest averages I've had, mainly do to bad shot making. By bowling on sport, it's forcing me to make better shots.

On sport the lanes don't give you much help like the THS does. You make a bad shot you know it and you work at correcting it.

I like to think I've noticed some improvement since starting the sport league. Such as how my swing and body position should feel when making a better shot.

I was talking to the guy that runs this league and he said everytime he bowled on a sport league. when he went back to a THS league his average would go up.

You don't need to wait for a 220+ Ave to bowl sport, that's just wasting time.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Being a beginner on a sport shot wont really hurt her, she wouldnt ave much (if any) different on a ths league.
    That's true. When we used to go to Vegas for sweeps...and encounter slightly slicker patterns than we were used to....there was always some low average lady that threw a straight ball that would win money. The pattern only affects the bowler...if they hook the ball. Straight balls go straight on a THS or a flat patern.

It doesnt hurt the team really, she has a ton of handicap. She gets a strike or spare shes over average.
    Well, there's the difference. The sport shot league I was in was scratch. I averaged 149...but if I didn't show up, the team would receive a blind score of 150.

You don't need to wait for a 220+ Ave to bowl sport, that's just wasting time.
    I guess I look at it like the same way I look at running 5ks. I ran 5ks...so running one just to say I ran one isn't really worthwhile. Now, if I decide to run a 5k...I want to be in the shape/condition where I have a shot at being competitive. If/when I join another sport shot league...I want to be competitive.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I guess I look at it like the same way I look at running 5ks. I ran 5ks...so running one just to say I ran one isn't really worthwhile. Now, if I decide to run a 5k...I want to be in the shape/condition where I have a shot at being competitive. If/when I join another sport shot league...I want to be competitive.
    The way to become in shape/condition to be competitive on a sport league is by bowlng and learning on sport conditions.

Averaging 220 + on a THS doesn't guarantee you will be competitive on sport, especially if you only had limited experience on sport condition.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Our youth bowlers start on sport patterns as soon as they step up from the bumper program.
    John

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Our youth bowlers start on sport patterns as soon as they step up from the bumper program.
    Same here. The next generation of bowlers will be different than ours. I really do they are going to demand better conditions, equipment, and more competitive leagues. Now will they be willing/able to afford those is a different question.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Week 08: London 44'

Well this week was the London 44' pattern
    http://www.abf-online.org/zipped/39thHKOpen_Oiling.pdf

This the last of the long (just when I'm starting get the hang of it.) oil patterns, next week the Kegel Kode Sport Series 2235 35'.

Not too bad tonight first two games pretty clean and over average, I could of used a little more hold. Tweaking the surface might have helped, My balls were reading the midlane a little early. Out of my Paranoia, Curse and Dude the Paranoia was working the best.

Recommendation on surface I found was to go with a pearl with some surface . I still had the Paranoia with the 400 US Grit wet/dry paper, My Dude with 600 US grit wet/dry and the Curse was just a little smoother than 600 US grit wet/dry.

I started with the Paranoia and towards the end of the second game I switched to the Curse. But the third game the heads blew out and the Curse I couldn't get down the lane. I think if I hand switched to the Dude instead I would have done better.

I tried it a couple of times and it was close, but I didn't want to waste frames getting the feel of it. So jumped back to the Paranoia about the 6th frame and started closing frames.

Well half way through this league and in a way I'm doing better than I was on my winter THS league. Out of 8 weeks on this league I've only bowled under average twice (and one of those was just under) and my average has gone up about 10 pins since the start.

Tonight we had the first 300 game this league has had.

Now the short patterns start!

Chats: 32

Well this week was the London 44' pattern
    http://www.abf-online.org/zipped/39thHKOpen_Oiling.pdf

This the last of the long (just when I'm starting get the hang of it.) oil patterns, next week the Kegel Kode Sport Series 2235 35'.

Not too bad tonight first two games pretty clean and over average, I could of used a little more hold. Tweaking the surface might have helped, My balls were reading the midlane a little early. Out of my Paranoia, Curse and Dude the Paranoia was working the best.

Recommendation on surface I found was to go with a pearl with some surface . I still had the Paranoia with the 400 US Grit wet/dry paper, My Dude with 600 US grit wet/dry and the Curse was just a little smoother than 600 US grit wet/dry.

I started with the Paranoia and towards the end of the second game I switched to the Curse. But the third game the heads blew out and the Curse I couldn't get down the lane. I think if I hand switched to the Dude instead I would have done better.

I tried it a couple of times and it was close, but I didn't want to waste frames getting the feel of it. So jumped back to the Paranoia about the 6th frame and started closing frames.

Well half way through this league and in a way I'm doing better than I was on my winter THS league. Out of 8 weeks on this league I've only bowled under average twice (and one of those was just under) and my average has gone up about 10 pins since the start.

Tonight we had the first 300 game this league has had.

Now the short patterns start!

Bowl I hadn't bowled any of the patterns you bowled on before so I haven't said anything but I've bowled on London a lot. Now my ball speed is lower than your so it would make sense that I need less surface than you but on patterns like London I really don't find that I need the extra surface now badger can be different. I bowl pretty much my normal line on that pattern with normal surface. Just an idea of your three balls maybe keep 3k or so on one of them. I find on most of the long patterns even if I am starting off farther right by the second game the pattern has opened up. Just an idea
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Now my ball speed is lower than your so it would make sense that I need less surface than you but on patterns like London I really don't find that I need the extra surface now badger can be different.
    Our speeds are probably not that different, last night I was hitting about 14mph at the pins. Not having bowled London before I wasn't sure about surface, afterwards I figured I could have gone with a little less.

I bowl pretty much my normal line on that pattern with normal surface. Just an idea of your three balls maybe keep 3k or so on one of them. I find on most of the long patterns even if I am starting off farther right by the second game the pattern has opened up. Just an idea
    Now that I've bowled London I'll keep that in mind.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Week 09: Kegel Kode Sport Series 2235 35'

Week 09: Kegel Kode Sport Series 2235 35' pattern

http://patternlibrary.kegel.net/Patt...&ID=660&Type=2

This starts the short oil patterns for the next few weeks.

My teammates didn't show tonight, Hopefully they didn't bug out we were just getting a little something going. I Lost all the games, but I kept the 2nd & 3rd games close though.

The pattern played about as it should, the shot was outside. I was standing between 10-15 and playing around the 5 board. The first game was touchy I needed more surface, I believe it would have gave me better control.

My starting line Click for larger image

Basic short oil info Click for larger image

As the lanes broke down I started getting a better look and was able to start picking spares.

The Dude or Paranoia would have been good the first and second game if they had more surface. The Pyramid Curse though was good starting toward the end of the second game and did well the third game.

Shooting spares with the plastic ball was the best choice also.

Last edited by bowl1820; 07-06-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Chats: 204

Only one gutter on the first shot...not bad for having to play 1st arrow.

I have a lot of luck playing outside/in...but ya can't miss right and I end up over-compensating and pulling a lot of shots.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast