Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 15 for 15 Sport Challenge League 2017 ( Bowl1820's scores)

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Only one gutter on the first shot...not bad for having to play 1st arrow.

I have a lot of luck playing outside/in...but ya can't miss right and I end up over-compensating and pulling a lot of shots.
    A good article to read is Ron Clifton's "How to play the twig", Plus when you play that close to the gutter. Just imagine your hand following one board down the lane, That helps keep your shot parallel to the lane and not push it out right.

Ron Clifton's "How to play the twig"
    http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip6.htm

I read this years ago (It was about the first time I saw the word "twig" in relation to bowling). So the very next time I went to practice, I was working on playing the twig to see if I could and found it wasn't as hard as it looked.

I'm not afraid of playing out there and have threw very few gutter balls when I have.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Week 09: Kegel Kode Sport Series 2235 35' pattern

http://patternlibrary.kegel.net/Patt...&ID=660&Type=2

Shooting spares with the plastic ball was the best choice also.

The first rule of playing sport patterns is to use a plastic spare ball and go straight at any pin or pin combination that you leave standing. It might not actually be the first rule, but then again I haven't seen a written set of rules for how to play sport patterns in general.

The first week of the summer sport league I matched up against a guy trying sport patterns for the first time. After seeing him miss a few spares, I suggested that he bring his plastic ball the next week. The next week I asked him if he brought it and he said that he had planned to and then forgot. Third week I wasn't bowling but I swung by after my meeting was over just to say hi to my friends in the league. I saw the new guy and asked if he had remembered the plastic ball. His reply was he thinks it's lost somewhere in his basement. Needless to say after 4 weeks his average is a whopping 115.
    John

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Only one gutter on the first shot...not bad for having to play 1st arrow.

I have a lot of luck playing outside/in...but ya can't miss right and I end up over-compensating and pulling a lot of shots.
    What I see a lot on sport patterns is pulling the ball, regardless of the pattern length, because bowlers quickly find out that any miss to the outside will not make it back to the pocket, and very often resulting in a washout.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    The first rule of playing sport patterns is to use a plastic spare ball and go straight at any pin or pin combination that you leave standing.
    For the most part true, But there would be a caveat in regard to multi-pin spares. Because depending conditions, you have to watch out for deflection with plastic.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Week 10: Stockholm 34'

Week 10: Stockholm 34'

Well here I am at week 10 tonight was a thrill! Another short pattern Stockholm 34'. A foot shorter than last week, But a little more volume.

http://www.worldbowling.org/wp-conte...kholm34_16.pdf

Another real thrill not only was I bowling against the "BYE" team (which was my old team), It looks like my teammates on the team I joined have now quit too. So I was bowling alone, I think actually I won one game too.

Game one started out great, I was really picking up the spares. I was using the Paranoia with the surface at 360 US grit (about 500 abralon), my research showed 500 abralon was used by many on this pattern and seemed about right. I tried the Pyramid Curse with about 400 grit, but was too long on the fresh.

Game two I started dropping off. I had been trying to pace myself since I was alone, I tried keeping pace with the team next too me. Which worked okay, but I stil felt I was going too fast.

I changed to the Curse about mid game, the Paranoia was getting too much.

Game three I had to stop for a while I was sweating bullets, Plus I was waiting for them to draw the strikepot ticket (I missed getting picked by 1 number). Sat a little to long and cooled off too much though.

I switched to the DV8 Dude during this game also, the Curse was jumping too much. The main thing on this pattern I saw, was I had to keep it outside around the 3-4 board. I tried moving inside like I saw some others doing to see what it was like, But I couldn't get the distance on the ball and it was going left too early.

I brought my video camera with me to check my form, haven't looked at it much yet. A couple of things look better though such as:

I got my trailing leg back down on the approach, Balance arm with the thumb pointing down.

Chats: 204

That sucks that the teammates dropped. I had a similar problem with sport shot leagues...there are a lot of people that want to 'try' it and then quickly drop out. And it's not as easy as THS leagues to try and find another bowler willing to join.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Week 11: 2004 ABC Nationals 38'

Week 11: 2004 ABC Nationals 38'
    http://patternlibrary.kegel.net/Patt...&ID=563&Type=2

Okay this week we were on the 2004 ABC Nationals 38' pattern, which has a volume of 21.80ml and is pretty flat. Plus I just got a new ball, The Pyramid Blunt Force which I just had to try (all 3 games).

A little too much ball for this lower volume pattern, at least at my current speed (which I need to work on). Plus I could have rolled it better too, While I had a few strikes in warm up, I only had a couple during the game.

I have to wait a couple of weeks to try it again on this league, when we get back on some longer patterns with some more oil.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default week 12 Kaioken 33'

Week 12 Kaioken 33'

This weeks pattern was a custom pattern, other than it was 33 feet I don't know anything else about it.

Being a short pattern the shot still seemed to be outside, but there seemed to be a shot inside as well. But it was touchy either way, plus if you got the ball too close to the gutter It just stayed there. On the lanes next to us a bowler released his ball one time and it rode the 1 board all the way down.

I took 6 out of 8 points all by myself with two vacancy's of 120, which wasn't too bad. I'm still next to last, but what the heck. I'm there for the patterns.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Week 13: Seoul 39' oil pattern

Week 13: Seoul 39' oil pattern
    http://www.worldbowling.org/wp-conte...Seoul39_16.pdf

Well this week wasn't bad, I shot over average somewhat and I won all the points. The Seoul pattern is 39' and has a volume of 25.1 mL, So I gave the Pyramid Blunt Force another try.

I used the Blunt Force all night, Beside bowling by myself the other team was missing one person (and one of them was a lefty) so there was only so there was only 2 of us on the right side. So the lanes didn't break down much.

This was a better pattern for the Blunt Force, there was more oil than the last time. The ball was real smooth and had a consistent motion, But I think it needed a bit more surface than the OOB (2000/polished).

The far outside had a lot of hang, moving the breakpoint in some the ball would make the turn okay. But I think with a bit more surface the ball would have hit with more authority (Or if I could increase revs).

Game two, frames 2-5 I think were four of the best most consistent shots I've made, Everything felt just right (It gives me something really good to compare against in the feel to look for in my shot) The strike in frame 4, the ball was just a hair tighter inside.

The multi pin leaves were mainly just slip ups in my balance which threw me off.

Well only two weeks left and both longer oil, hopefully I can finish well.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Week 14: Chameleon 43' oil pattern

Week 14: Chameleon 43' oil pattern
    http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn...._Chameleon.pdf

Forgot to post this last week

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast