Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 15 for 15 Sport Challenge League 2017 ( Bowl1820's scores)

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post

One of the guys on the other team wasn't really hitting good he was kind of put off by how low he bowled (115, 173, 118) and he made a interesting statement when we got done, it went something like.

"I thought this was suppose to make you a better bowler" and he didn't see where it was doing him any good.

It made think of what do a lot of players think is going to happen when they get these type of leagues.

Are they thinking Okay everyone says it hard, I'll probably struggle for a couple frames and then I'll have it all figured out.
    I haven't figured that out yet either Bowl. We are bowling little tournaments about 20 of us on sports patterns on Wednesdays last week was London a 44 foot pattern. Watched a guy throw his ball from 10 to 5 for 2 games never moving. Through the heaviest part of the oil got frustrated and quit after the 2nd game pretty sure he never even tried another part of the lane. Interesting about break down the last 2 weeks I've been ahead of the cut after 2 games by about 30 pins then throwing a really crappy game to nock myself out. Somewhere I'm not right in my adjustments on these patterns.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Interesting I guess I didn't forfeit after all!

I forgot On this league one person counts as a legal lineup, so I wound up taking two games and wood for 6 points.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default week 5

Get caught up here, last weeks pattern was one of the Slowinski Signature Series Challenging Patterns the "Great Depression 36' ".
    http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/...ession_3-d.pdf

It's basically a short, high volume pattern. You get the ball outside 5 it wasn't coming back.

You had to play towards the outside, but that out of bounds made it tricky you couldn't leak it out or pull it.

I was going to bring my particle pearl (Storm Pyro) which was a good short oil ball, But sad to say it cracked!

I won that ball in a raffle at our state tournament here about 2006, so Ive had it a long time. I brought my urethane Faball burgundy hammer, but even sanded it was too oily for it. My Curse worked okay but was too jumpy (It needed some surface to smooth it out), The Paranoia was smoother (It had some surface) but was too much ball for my speed on this pattern.

I didn't feel bad about bowling low, I've felt my swing has improved some since bowling on this league.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Chats: 204

Tough pattern.

I remember bowling on sport and seeing "short pattern" and thinking; "Cool! This should be dry enough to let me play 5-10!" I'd never factor in volume. I had more success on the longer patterns.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default week 06

Week 06: PBA Mark Roth 46'
    http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....3_MarkRoth.pdf

Well struggled here with the spare shooting, the lanes started off pretty oily feeling. The third game they started breaking down and was able to salvage the game some.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default week 07

Week 07: HOUDINI'S ESCAPE 48'

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/...escape_3-d.pdf

Well this was a good week! I came in the bowling alley and looked at the lanes I was scheduled to bowl on and there was just a blank. I thought will their dropping me from the league. But I looked to the lanes next to them and saw my name. I had been added to another team, they we're missing a player.

It was a couple, she is a new bowler just starting out. She has average of 58! and his is 146. So I felt pretty good about having a full team to bowl with.

As for bowling, It went pretty well! I shot a 158 pins over average and my first 200 game on this league!

Information on the pattern and how it should be played was pretty sparse. The pattern is 48 ft. in length, 30.25 ml total volume and 50ul oil per board. So was pretty juicy, I actually saw a lot of oil come back on the ball.

The way the pattern is set up, is if you put it outside it's not coming back and in the middle there is a ton of hold. Slowinski said it's set up to teach you to play straighter launch angles and pick your spares up.

He recommends players start playing a direct line straight-up 15/16/17 and adjust from that point. I was worried I might cross too much playing that far inside, So I started just a bit more right, I played between 3rd & 4th arrow (12-13-14 area) and pointed at the pocket).

Recommendation on surface I found was to go with a strong surface (360). I did the Paranoia with 400 US Grit wet/dry paper, My Dude with 600 US grit wet/dry and the Curse was close to box.

I figured start with the Paranoia, if anything it would strip out some oil maybe give me some room to work with using one of the other balls later.

Wound up I didn't have change all night, the Paranoia was holding the line good. I mainly kept the same targets all night and just moved my feet a few boards right and targeted slightly farther down the lane as the night progressed.

I was feeling real good about my form, I was getting my trailing leg around well, I posted every shot with only a couple a little wobbly but I held them. My swing and release was good and spare shooting was good.

One thing I did too, was I picked another bowler (Who I consider a good bowler, he has a pro-shop as a side line) and used him to challenge myself more. SO I worked at trying to beat his scores. Which I did pretty good, I beat him two games and wood. I talked to him after bowling and got his opinions on the pattern and he gave me some interesting views on how he see's the different patterns and how people play them.

The girl on my team did okay, she shot in the 60's & 70's so was over ave. I wanted so much to offer some advice to her, but her significant other and his father was giving her some. So I bit my tongue, their advice okay but they didn't notice a couple of things that would have help her more.

The guy hit his average, he did better as the lanes broke down. We wound up winning all the points so we did good.

For what a lot felt was a hard pattern, it played really well for me.

Last edited by bowl1820; 06-22-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Okay they got the standings posted.

We did great! The team got high handicap Game and series for the week. Plus we moved up from last place (15th) to 11th place tied for 10th.

Plus I got High handicap series for the week and season.

and 2nd place handicap game for the week

I raised my average by 8 pins.

Chats: 32

Nice bowling
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Week 07: One thing I did too, was I picked another bowler (Who I consider a good bowler, he has a pro-shop as a side line) and used him to challenge myself more. SO I worked at trying to beat his scores. Which I did pretty good, I beat him two games and wood.
    I do that quite often. If I'm the top bowler on my team, I try to pair myself up against the best player on the other team. If I'm the 2nd best, I try to pair myself against the 2nd best player on the team.

The problem is when the best player on the other team averages like 158...then I got nothing to go on and usually do worse.

Why is a woman who is a new bowler and averaging 58...doing a sport shot league? I average 195 and I don't plan on testing myself in a sport shot league until I can average 223 or higher. She's either brave or crazy...or both.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I do that quite often. If I'm the top bowler on my team, I try to pair myself up against the best player on the other team. If I'm the 2nd best, I try to pair myself against the 2nd best player on the team.

The problem is when the best player on the other team averages like 158...then I got nothing to go on and usually do worse.
    Thats why I pick someone from the league, usually the one closest that I can see. That way I dont have to get up to go see their scores, also so I can see how their playing the lanes.

Why is a woman who is a new bowler and averaging 58...doing a sport shot league? I average 195 and I don't plan on testing myself in a sport shot league until I can average 223 or higher. She's either brave or crazy...or both.
    I assume she was there to help her partner fill out the team, then they lost their third player.

Being a beginner on a sport shot wont really hurt her, she wouldnt ave much (if any) different on a ths league.

It doesnt hurt the team really, she has a ton of handicap. She gets a strike or spare shes over average.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast