Thread: Looking for a lower-tier bowling ball for my bag..

Post Looking for a lower-tier bowling ball for my bag..

Hi guys. Just thought I'd make a post regarding a new bowling ball I want to get for my bag.

I currently have a Crux, Crux Pearl, and Hy-Road Pearl. They're pretty darn good balls, I usually start using my Hy-Road Pearl and it typically works perfectly.

Only thing, I might consider adding a less-aggressive ball to the bag.

The thing about entry-level balls though, they typically come into the pocket with alot of energy, as versus the Hy-Road Pearl, it cuts in with a smooth-arc. I wish there was a ball with less hook potential than the Hy-Road Pearl, and kept that awesome smooth-arc breakpoint shape.

I considered a urethane ball. Like a Motiv Tank Rampage? It looks pretty good. I asked two pro shop guys and they were preferred an entry-level ball. But what I like about a urethane is that you can play it alot straighter and it keeps that awesome breakpoint shape on drier patterns.

My stats:

About 13.5 MPH
    Maybe like 270 (higher or lower. :P) RPM

I do not know my axis tilt, but I can rotate the ball rather cleanly to make it appear at about 90 degrees after releasing it.

But yeah. Any suggestions? Most of the time, I play on house shots. Usually broken down though.

Thanks!
    Last edited by BowlerGuy1500; 05-16-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

I would recommend a Storm Match. Matted but takes polish great and has a rating of 175 or so. One of the lefties was using it on the PBA league finals.

Chats: 32

The Hy-Road pearls usually not considered smooth arc type reaction. Looks like your a storm fan I'd try the match up and if you wanted a smoother look go with the solid. Storms reactor cover is one of the better less aggressive covers on the market
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into these.

In a similar situation last season, I ended up getting a Roto grip Hustle RIG. It's worked well with having a Hy-Road and IQ 30.

Just curious about adding a urethane ball to my bag. The Tank Rampage seems to be a pretty good ball.

Why I would want to get a urethane is because of the rapid consistencies it provides. Easy length, and smooth sailing hook.

Thoughts on this?? Trying to research my options. The thing with reactive balls is though, they chop back pretty easily when they hit the dry. I'm looking for something smoother I can use for broken-down or dry lanes. Thanks!

If you are getting a smooth arcing motion from your Hy-Road Pearl, it's probably because of the way the ball is laid out. The Hy-Road Pearl is a high RG ball with the R2S cover material, finished with polish which is skid/flip by definition (depending, of course, on your release). You might look into the Brunswick Fanatic BTU (Better Than Urethane) which is very non-reactive, reactive resin with a very high RG, and takes surface very well. It will give you the smooth arc you are looking for.