Thread: State Tournament Arsenal

Chats: 0

Default State Tournament Arsenal

Hi all!

It's been a while since I've been on and a lot has happened including my first series north of 700. Sorry. Just had to brag lol.

So without going on too much of a tangent, here's my question. My state tournament is this weekend and I was wondering about my arsenal and the surfaces of my balls. I bowled on the state pattern yesterday and it appeared to be very light. Given my extremely low ball speed, I can imagine that I need a higher grit on my balls to get far enough down lane.

Here's what I was thinking in order of least aggressive to most aggressive:

State Bowling Arsenal

900 Global Wisdom

Core Symmetrical
    RG 2.57
    Differential 0.035
    Layout Pin up
    Coverstock Pearl
    Layout 500/1000/2000/4000x2/Polish

DV8 Dude
    Core Sym
    RG 2.55
    Differential 0.040
    Layout Neutral
    Coverstock Solid
    Layout 360/2000

Hammer Gauntlet
    Core Asym
    RG 2.50
    Differential 0.050
    Layout Pin up
    Coverstock Hybrid
    Layout 500/2000/4000

What do you guys think of this arsenal? I guess what is throwing me off is that my most aggressive ball is a higher grit than my medium oil ball. The reason I did this is because when practicing, I kept going through the nose with that ball. In other words, by going to a higher grit, I will be able to get the ball further down lane before it snaps. Is it considered backwards to do this? If so, what would you guys recommend? Any help is appreciated.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks for the help,
    Casey

Casey
    Last edited by JCasey1992; 05-19-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Your arsenal looks fine. In terms of surface, what is more important than the pattern on which you will be bowling is the lane characteristics of the particular center. Some houses need more surface, others need less. Just make sure that you bring along some abrasion pads so that you can make any last minute needed adjustments during practice. Just remember that once the first actual shot is thrown, no more surface changes can be made.

Chats: 32

I wouldn't worry about trying to make a grit progression use what works myself it looks like you've put together a good arsenal for medium light conditions you said you would be facing.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 2

So, with it being a light oil, and me throwing Storm for the most part, here's what I would go with:

1: Something with surface around 2000-3000 grit (Phaze II for instance)
    2: Something High RG Polished (Street Fight)
    3. Something to help blend the pattern out, like a hybrid (Timeless or Hyroad)
    4. Urethane (in the light oil case, I'd go Pitch Black)

Those would be my choices. It all comes down to your style as well. For instance, I have my Phaze II drilled fairly weak, so it is pretty smooth. Where as my timeless has great length, but a strong, continuous motion on the back end. It's great for blending out the pattern, but I'm going to need some room to do so.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Chats: 0

When I bowled states this year in Ohio, I bowled 6 games for singles and doubles and moved a total of two boards left for the day and used the same ball, a Brunswick Melee Cross solid, for every game. Some days you just don't need to change balls.