Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Shoe Suggestions

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default New Shoe Suggestions

I’ve got some entry level Pyramid Path shoes I’ve worn for a few seasons. They work, but I would like to replace them with something a little more streamline. They do bring back memories though, every time I put them on I think of my dear ol’ dad. He had a pair of diabetic shoes that were just about the same size.
    Would like something that might actually slide a little on synthetic lanes…if that’s even possible.

Any thoughts?

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

I have only used Dexters because I have never had any issues with the shoe. The question depends on how much you bowl and how much you are willing to spend. If you bowl a significant amount and go to different houses I would recommend something with removable soles so you can change the slide pads. If you are just looking for a good pair of bowling shoes without any frills any entry level Dexter shoes would be find, I would highly recommend getting a shoe brush as well so that you can keep them clean.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Chats: 1

I love my Brunswick TPU X's They're more expensive than plain universal shoes but they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned, including my tennis shoes. You can find them for close to $90 a pair, but they're well worth it, for me at least.

I've had the Dexter Tank shoes for several years and they're pretty darn good.
    Bought the Dexter SST6 LZ as a back up and I tend to wear them each time now as they're a bit more sturdy.
    Either of these should work well for a long, long time and they have the removable soles and heels on the slide shoe.
    Good luck...

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by watertank View Post
    I’ve got some entry level Pyramid Path shoes I’ve worn for a few seasons. They work, but I would like to replace them with something a little more streamline. They do bring back memories though, every time I put them on I think of my dear ol’ dad. He had a pair of diabetic shoes that were just about the same size.
    Would like something that might actually slide a little on synthetic lanes…if that’s even possible.

Any thoughts?
    If you want to stick with the Pyramid brand then get the Pyramid HPX's, they are just rebranded Brunswick TPU-X's which are one of the most comfortable shoes there is (they were designed by Calloway so are like a golf shoe).

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm not stuck with a certain brand. I don't mind spending 100-150 for comfy pair. I only bowl about twice a week, but want something that's a bit of a step up from where I am at now. I'll check some of these out. Thanks again!

I have some Brunswick universal shoes, nothing special but I did try some Dexter SST 6 with one slide sole and one traction sole.

I found that traction shoe to be very annoying, it appears I don't fully pick up my right shoe, I drag it / scuff it along the way.

I've since seen this happen to a few other bowlers, this can be really annoying to downright dangerous, if you're not sure how it will feel
    try using a tennis shoe on the non sliding foot and see how you like it .

There is the option of getting the shoes with interchangeable soles and heels on both shoes, The Brunswick TPU and Pyramid HPX look pretty
    good if you like that brand.

One suggestion, if you do end up getting a pair with a traction sole go to practice and just get used to it. When I switched it was such a different feel that the first few shots were pretty rough. Now, I'd never voluntarily go back to universal.

In terms of recommendations, pretty much anything with an interchangeable slide sole would be a step up and sounds like would be what you're looking for. You can tailor it to your conditions. For what it's worth, I also have Dexter SST6's and have had zero complaints with them.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

I have have the SST6 and if you have toe drag those are defiantly not the shoe for you. I wore a pair down through the rubber sole within a season. The SST8 is a nice pair and the 9s are great as well.

Chats: 2

I went through 2 pairs of Dexter SST8's in a season and a half (heels kept falling off, leather toe on slide kept wanting to peel). I bought a pair of Brunswick TPU-X's last season and they are by far the best shoes I've ever worn, not just bowling shoes, ALL shoes. Incredibly comfortable, like walking on memory foam pillows. If you don't mind paying around $100 for a pair, well worth it
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast