Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Approaches

One center I bowl in has had a problem a couple of times when it was super humid (morning league ) we found it was caused by humidity and the fact the owner had shut down the ventilation system overnight ...... once it was back up and got things regulated, the approaches went back to normal.

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I can usually get away with an S8 sliding sole and an H6 heel (with S4 leading edge). On Tuesdays, the approaches are a little tackier so I go up to an S9 sole and was using the H6 heel with S6 leading edge....but I've had to move to an H7 recently with the temperatures going up (80s and 90s lately).

It's great having interchangeable soles/heels...BUT:
    1) I ordered my Pyramid shoes a half size too big and a little too wide...so the fit isn't perfect.
    2) Changing the heels is a *****. The soles come on and off rather easily...but the heels are stuck on there pretty good.
    Holy...H6 heel!?! Those must either be extremely tacky or you just like to slide lol. I usually go S6 with H2 heel. I like to stop, especially after the nightmares I had at a center 15 miles away and them buffing duraslide into the approaches. Last time I bowled there I put on an S2 and an H2 and still couldn't stop
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    Holy...H6 heel!?! Those must either be extremely tacky or you just like to slide lol. I usually go S6 with H2 heel. I like to stop, especially after the nightmares I had at a center 15 miles away and them buffing duraslide into the approaches. Last time I bowled there I put on an S2 and an H2 and still couldn't stop
    I dunno.

You're a 2-hander and most 2-handers tend to "plant" rather than slide.

But for me...I don't like things getting too 'slick'...for example, I rarely ever use those "sliding socks" because I feel like I have no control over my slide...like I'm on an ice rink. But my bigger issue has been the 'heel'...because I don't like an "abrupt stop". If I stop too abruptly...lose my balance a bit...harder to keep my swing stable and post my shot.

The H6 is actually a great heel...because you can change the front part of the heel to make slight adjustments...without removing the whole heel. The downside to needing the H7 heel, is that it's as slick as it gets...I don't think there's an H8 heel. So, if I get to a really sticky approach...I'm gonna be out of options regarding the heel. If I encounter more slippery conditions...I still have the H2 heel the shoes came with and the H5ST heel I ordered initially...and I have an S6 and S10 sole if I need to make further sole changes.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Not really talking about what soles or shoes to wear. Just wondering if there is any reason besides weather or anything that would make proprietors not keep the approaches slick enough that you can actually slide. Even house shoes should allow the renter to slide a little.

I am talking about wood approaches not the synthetic stuff that is either too slick or so tacky it is dangerous.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Not really talking about what soles or shoes to wear. Just wondering if there is any reason besides weather or anything that would make proprietors not keep the approaches slick enough that you can actually slide. Even house shoes should allow the renter to slide a little.

I am talking about wood approaches not the synthetic stuff that is either too slick or so tacky it is dangerous.
    If wood approaches aren't properly maintained they can easily become "sticky" most of the houses I bowl in with wood approaches refinish the approaches yearly.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

13 years ago or so, when one of the houses I moved to had SLICK wood approaches, I had a hard time getting the proper slide. It was at this house where I cut my Dexter Soles 4, 6, 8 into equal halves/pieces and did a combination of the three. I remember bowlers looking at me funny when I messed with my soles. I guess they were not ready for it lol.

Today I have my S8 and S10 also cut in equal pieces for the STICKY approaches I bowl on - this would be the sole S9 if I were to buy instead of customizing my soles myself. Dexter didn't have the odd number soles at the time and I was between soles. S8 was too early and S10 was too late in braking. Customizing these two soles to my needs is great, especially bowling travel league.

When I was a youth bowler, I had a LLLLOOOOONNNGGGG slide similar to Marshall and Danny. I used the ashes from the cigarettes found in ash trays all over the settee to help me create this long slide. Today, if I need a little touch up on my timing of my slide, rubbing my shoe under the ball rack to collect dust has replaced cigarette ashes lol.
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I dunno.

You're a 2-hander and most 2-handers tend to "plant" rather than slide.

But for me...I don't like things getting too 'slick'...for example, I rarely ever use those "sliding socks" because I feel like I have no control over my slide...like I'm on an ice rink. But my bigger issue has been the 'heel'...because I don't like an "abrupt stop". If I stop too abruptly...lose my balance a bit...harder to keep my swing stable and post my shot.

The H6 is actually a great heel...because you can change the front part of the heel to make slight adjustments...without removing the whole heel. The downside to needing the H7 heel, is that it's as slick as it gets...I don't think there's an H8 heel. So, if I get to a really sticky approach...I'm gonna be out of options regarding the heel. If I encounter more slippery conditions...I still have the H2 heel the shoes came with and the H5ST heel I ordered initially...and I have an S6 and S10 sole if I need to make further sole changes.
    I actually like to slide a bit. After tearing up my knee in HS, I have to be able to slide. But I also like to be able to stop. But yeah, most 2 handers plant. Not many people slide much any more
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Pin Crusher

F73 That sounds like something I could do I have a new 10 and a new 8. The 10's are so slick you can't even push off. 8's just a little too tacky. How would you suggest cutting them. I used the cigarette ashes for years. I think I slide pigeon toed due to knee injury while in the army. Thanks for the idea and good bowling to you.

Amyers maintains isn't the problem. They are always up grading stuff they just replaced the synthetic lanes after 20 years. They just bought the approaches from the old PBA stop Taylor lanes. Taylor closed because in the last 15 years they didn't maintain anything. It used to be one of the best in the Detroit area. Now it is some kind of Church.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    F73 That sounds like something I could do I have a new 10 and a new 8. The 10's are so slick you can't even push off. 8's just a little too tacky. How would you suggest cutting them. I used the cigarette ashes for years. I think I slide pigeon toed due to knee injury while in the army. Thanks for the idea and good bowling to you.
    Thank you for your service first of all.....

I was in the trade market with guys with interchangeable soles. I hunted the crankers or planters in leagues and traded my low numbered soles with their high numbered soles.

THe reason I say this, I keep uncut S8 and S10 in case I need them. With that being said, if you have extra soles go ahead and cut them. Cutting them is all about each individual preference and also to match the way the person slides and at what area of the foot do they slide. I took an old shoe and looked at the area where I make a lot of contact on the bottom of the slide shoe. Because I slide flat footed and cover more surface area evenly (inside of the foot to the outside) on the ball of my foot, I cut the soles 60/40 (or 70/30) straight across. This works well for me. And changing them out is much easier.

If you're pigeon toed, you may be carrying most of your weight in the inside of your foot when you walk. but when you slide, the weight may be on the outside - to see where the "wear and tear" happens most on the bottom of your slide shoe. Knowing how you slide is very important when customizing your soles. But it's not that hard to do.

Now, I'm no expert... if you slide with toed in, in a straight line, Pinky to heel for example, you "may" need to cut the soles cross hatch or from Big toe to heel. This is just an example. The diagonal cut may not be that extreme as I mentioned.

I've shown this personal customization to a friend and started doing this awhile back. He created an oval type sole combination. Like a doughnut hole and doughnut round lol. The oval sole is what he changes out, keeping the outer sole the same.
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

Pin Crusher

Thanks a lot. I will do some experimenting. One thing though I'm not pigeon toed I just slide that way to protect the tendons and ligaments on the inner part of my knee. It probably is OK now but I have done it for so long I would have to relearn every thing again. Again thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast