Thread: Hy-Road Pearl vs low tier reactive?

Default Hy-Road Pearl vs low tier reactive?

Hi guys-

I'm trying to figure out what ball would be best in my bag for lower, or dryer, areas of the lane.

In the bag:

Crux Pearl
    Crux
    Hy-Road Pearl
    White Dot

I couldn't tell you the drilling specifications of these balls. But when I throw the Hy-Road it has great length and maintains a smooth-arc backend motion. Based on what people tell me, that's not something the ball should typically do, but much rather how it was drilled. (Again, I'm sorry I can't give the drilling specifications because they're not with me and I don't know much about that.)

Anywho, since I assume that ball was drilled to be less-aggressive than average, I wondered if that had an impact of how much a low-tier reactive ball would curve compared to that. If I got a low-tier reactive something like a Tropical Storm, and had it drilled less aggressive, would it curve less than the Hy-Road Pearl?

I need more information on this, so I know which path is best for a ball that will appear like this on the spectrum of high-hook to low-hook for my bag:

High hook dull: Crux
    High hook pearl: Crux Pearl
    Mid hook pearl: Hy-Road Pearl
    lower hook than the ball above ^: <Insert ball here>
    Spareball/Very Dry Lanes: White Dot

It would either be a entry level reactive or a urethane.. If you could assure me that a low-tier reactive resin bowling ball would curve noticeably less than my Hy-Road Pearl, than obviously that'd be the route to take.

Again, sorry for the long wordy post.. I need to work on my writing to throw out the main points and leave it at that. So sorry if that's inefficiency for you. Thanks for reading, happy Memorial Day.

Chats: 32

I can't tell you that any one ball will hook more or less than another. If the conditions are right a lighter oil ball very well could hook more (if the other ball was burning up early due to the lanes being overly drive) the same ball could roll and never break if there is too much oil. Trying to ball down to stay in a spot that has outlived it's time simply doesn't work for me even if I can it last a shot or two at most. It can be successful to use a later hooking ball but the HRP is already pretty high rg.

Rather than looking for a ball that reacts less you will most likely be better off learning to move left with your feet and target with the crux pearl or the hyroad than trying to stay in the dirt.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 2

I've rounded out my arsenal pretty well to meet just about any condition I endure. I've actually noticed that I may need something even more aggressive for some of the Utah houses I bowl tourneys at, as they tend to use a ton of volume. Right now, when things start to break down, I look for 2 things: Where is the ball making its move (earlier, later) and is it getting into a roll too early and burning up energy. Those 2 things will let me make the right ball choice. If its starting to make the move later, I'll grab something dull (phaze II) and move a bit inside and let it eat some energy up. If it's getting into a roll too early, I'll switch to something polished (Street Fight). Now, if the breakpoint is starting to go away earlier, I'll stay with something with length and aggressive on the back end (Timeless) and start migrating left. It's all about reading the ball motion. It comes with time and I'm still learning it myself. But, if you can pay attention to the motion and all 3 phases of it (skid, hook, roll), you will figure out what you need. Sounds like you do need a weaker ball to fill the gap though, and it sounds like you're a storm fan. I'd suggest something high Rg, weak cover, such as a Street Fight, then adjust surface if needed. Street Fight is 3000 sheen, so it gets down the lane well, and doesn't over-react on the back end. It's a benchmark ball for me honestly.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

I'll say that I have thrown one of the newer model tropical storm and even with a semi strong layout it went dead straight for like 55 ft. On a shorter pattern it seemed to lack the "pop" off the spot down lane. If you want to stay in the storm line, look into Match (or the new ones coming out which I saw someone throwing on burn this past weekend)

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by JaxBowlingGuy View Post
    I'll say that I have thrown one of the newer model tropical storm and even with a semi strong layout it went dead straight for like 55 ft. On a shorter pattern it seemed to lack the "pop" off the spot down lane. If you want to stay in the storm line, look into Match (or the new ones coming out which I saw someone throwing on burn this past weekend)
    You're probably thinking of the Match Up, which there is a solid and a pearl version of. The Black/Orange is a pearl that is 1500 polished, The black/blue/green is a solid cover that is 1500 polished. Either should give a great look though. Like I said though, I'm quite a fan of the high RG of the Street Fight for when the conditions get a little tougher. Even if I have to migrate left with it, it gets down lane and doesn't jump off the spot.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    You're probably thinking of the Match Up, which there is a solid and a pearl version of. The Black/Orange is a pearl that is 1500 polished, The black/blue/green is a solid cover that is 1500 polished. Either should give a great look though. Like I said though, I'm quite a fan of the high RG of the Street Fight for when the conditions get a little tougher. Even if I have to migrate left with it, it gets down lane and doesn't jump off the spot.

Yes the Match Up. A guy was throwing that this past weekend.

Ah alright. Thanks for the replies guys. I'll talk to my pro shop guy about this some time. I might not even need a new ball, just wondered if there's something out there that would be inbetween my polyester and mid-oil pearl. Seems like something should go in that slot. Urethane or not. ;p